This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Had Son Tested Yesterday...waiting Now For Results

Mjohnson73

Mjohnson73 Apprentice

Hey all

Well... I had my son tested yesterday... (well his blood was drawn yesterday)...they are doing the Ttg test and a couple of other ones.... as well as a CBC and a Sed Rate...

my problem is now that he has been tested, I want to go ahead and put him on a gluten-free diet...BUT.... my hubby wants to wait until after his birthday party on the 17th of September... he said that he doesn't want to have to have my sister make a gluten-free cake (she is a professional chef and is making his birthday cake and my daughter's cake in january as well)... or if she makes a regular cake, he doesn't want him to have to eat something different and not get to eat his cake....

I feel that he should go on the gluten-free diet as soon as possible because if it is celiac then every day that he is not on the gluten-free diet, it is doing damage...

sigh....

so what do i do??

--Maya

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Do whats best for your son. Your husband doesn't want to see him suffer does he? He needs to realize what gluten could be doing to your son. No parent in their right mind would want their child to get damage. If he had diabetes would your husband say well lets let him have all this sugar for his bday and then put him back on no sugar? I highly doubt he would be saying the same thing. It sounds like maybe he is not taking this seriously. Has he read what can happen to not following the diet? He should want your son to get well.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

If your doctor is not doing a biopsy than I would put him on the diet now. There are lots of recipes for gluten free cakes. I have some if you want them.

Guest taweavmo3

Just a thought, but there are alot of other goodies that kids can have for birthdays rather than cake. I'm thinking of doing and ice cream sundae bar for my daughter's 4th b-day. There is a ton of candy that is gluten free, so there would be plenty of toppings, and the kids would have fun doing something themselves.

I am a sucker for a cool cake though! If your sister is a chef......she could whip up a gluten-free cake no problem! I made a gluten-free cake for my daughter's last b-day, and this was 2 weeks after starting the diet. I really had no clue what I was doing, and only had one recipe to go by. It still turned out pretty good though, it was just the decoration that needed a little help!

I say there's no time like the present to start the diet......and take this first challenge head on, you can do it! I'm sure your husband will come around once he starts seeing the difference the diet makes in your son. My dh didn't understand the seriousness of celiac disease until my daughter had her first major gluten reaction. She was sick for nearly two weeks. He's now behind me 100%, it's great.

Good luck, and hope your son has a great birthday!

Mjohnson73 Apprentice

well my husband's problem is that my son doesn't have any of the "icky" symptoms... so he doesn't think that it is doing damage...and he is not 100% sure that he even has celiac and says that he doesn't want to do something if it is not going to be what is causing him to be smaller than normal... sigh...(i know that didn't make sense)...

it is hard to describe why my hubby doesn't want to do it...

--maya

celiac3270 Collaborator

I wouldn't wait for his birthday like that. It sends the wrong message to him which is that it's not THAT important or they would've put me on it right away, and if I can stay off the diet for this birthday, why not my next birthday and then why not during major holidays, etc.

It is ridiculous for your husband to say, though, that your sister would make him a cake that he can't eat. That would be terrible! For HIS birthday, there should be a cake he can eat or else no cake at all--some other treat. But it would be really unfair for "his" cake not to be made with ingredients he can eat.

-C

mytummyhurts Contributor

Depending on how many are going to be there, why can't everyone's cake be gluten-free? My mom made me this excellent cake (from a package) a few weeks ago. It tasted as good as any other cake I've had. If everybody eats it then he won't feel weird and everyone can see that being gluten-free isn't so horrible.

;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

aikiducky Apprentice
Depending on how many are going to be there, why can't everyone's cake be gluten-free? My mom made me this excellent cake (from a package) a few weeks ago. It tasted as good as any other cake I've had. If everybody eats it then he won't feel weird and everyone can see that being gluten-free isn't so horrible.

;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's perfectly possible to make a delicious, fluffy, light cake with rice and potato flour for instance. My mum almost only bakes gluten free nowadays because even the non-gluten-free family members like the cakes that don't sink like a stone into the bottom of your stomach... :D

It sounds like your husband is still in denial about this. That's natural, he's going to have to go through the stages of getting used to the idea as well.

Pauliina

buckley92 Newbie

I am going to agree with everyone else. You need to get your son on the diet and show him how important it is. My daughter has gluten-free Pantry's Brownie mix at her birthday party (with the kids). For our family, we do something everyone can eat - ice cream sundaes.

You should read and have your husband read Danna Korn's Kids with Celiac book. It talks about her experience with her son and give a great perspection on all kinds of issues.

This is the first challange you will have to face. Will your husband want him to "cheat" at other family parties? That is a slippery slope that doen't teach your son good habits. He will have to deal with this his whole life, you have to begin to give him the tools to handle this on his own. I feel one of the most important things is to integrete into into your daily life and make it routine. If you and your husband make a big deal out of every "special" event, your son will feel "left out." As parents, you set the tone in your family. If he feels that his gluten-free diet is a hardship, he will have a harder time accepting the diet and may not adhere to it when you are not around to monitor him. Obviously, this will affect his long term health.

It does change your family life but things could be so much worse. It will get easier!!

Hope that helps.

Jnkmnky Collaborator

If she's a professional chef, ask her to prepare a gluten-free cake. How about a "flourless chocolate torte" *don't dust the pan with flour* :o

I've been getting a fabulous raspberry chocolate torte from my WHoleFoods. It's so good. All you can eat is a 1ince slice, it's so filling.

Have you gotten the book Dangerous Grains? It's compelling. Makes a great arguement against gluten grains in the human diet. Your husband might find it helps him let go of the gluten containing diet idea.

Mjohnson73 Apprentice

thanks all for the advice...

His issue is that he wants to wait until after the party so my sister won't have to make a special cake... we are having a star-wars birthday and the cake is going to be shaped like a light-saber (red of course since my son's favorite character is Anakin).... he doesn't want her to have to go through anything special to make him a cake..

sigh....

anyone have any ideas on making shaped cakes with the gluten-free flours? Does gluten-free flour actually behave like regular flours when making a shaped cake?

and does anyone have any good recipes for it?

thanks in advance

--Maya

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

I've made a pony cake, pig cake and a cow cake and they all worked great. I like to line my cake pan with parchment paper and the cake comes out of the pan really well after it's cooled. After the cake comes out, I can cut & pc. it like any other cake to get my desired shape. I have also oiled and dusted my pans wtih rice flour and that has worked as well. I really like using the parchment paper for special cakes.

You might try a mix if you want you sister to use something easy. For a yellow cake I've used Gluten Free Pantry's Cake and Cookie Mix, the directions are on the back of bag. I used to use Pamela's Brownie Mix for chocolate cake. She has a recipe on her website for making the mix into a wonderful cake. I was sad to find that my daughter is intolerant to soy because it has soy lecithin. :(

The flourless chocolate torte sounds awesome. :D

Merika Contributor

Hi Kasey's mom :)

As a fellow anti-soy mom, we just discovered that Pamela's has a SOYFREE chocolate cake mix :D I haven't seen it at our local WF yet, but it came in a frrebie box of goodies from Pamela's at our new local celiac meeting. I'm so excited to try it!!!!!!!

Merika

PS. Maya, if you're not going to duke it out with your dh over the birthday, at least hide the issue of being gluten-free from your son, so he's not feeling special priveliges or "last rights" about gluten or anything for his birthday. .02

Mjohnson73 Apprentice

Well I talked to hubby again....gave him so more information and he agrees with me now :rolleyes:

so now we are having a gluten-free lightsaber cake (my sister is making it) and we are having an all gluten-free birthday :) both cakes (he is having a party for his friends earlier in the day) and then the family birthday will be gluten-free...and all the rest of the snacks and such will be gluten-free

:lol:

I am going to be calling my Dr's office on tuesday (don't think they are open tomorrow)

to get his results from his test...

*hugs*

Thanks all for all the information!

I am going to test the gluten-free pantry cookie and cake mix this week and that way we will see how it comes out :)

--Maya

ryebaby0 Enthusiast

That's great news! No one has mentioned Gluten-Free Pantry's Danielle's CHocolate Cake Mix -- so I thought I would :) We are also egg-free, and make it with tofu instead of egg and it is SO good. I had it for MY birthday! We just slap some Duncan Hines frosting on it and away we go. The cake last about 10 minutes here, I usually make two at a time.

My son has been gluten-free for almost two years -- and has gone from the 5th percentile in height to the 50th. He was zinc, calcium, magnesium, etc. deficient -- hospitalized for 7 weeks, etc.. Your husband is to be commended for doing what's best for his son, and you are too for convincing him! May you only have happy days ahead

Joanna

mom/wife to celiacs, dx 12/03 and 12/04 (and also a September bday boy 12y.o.)

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

Yeppie!!! :):) Merkia, I'm so excited to hear about the soy free cake from Pamela's, let me know how yummy it turns out. :D Do you know the name of the mix so I can start looking?

We don't have a support group in my area. I've got to get a group started....free samples would be wonderful. :lol:

Archived