This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Went gluten-free In Support And Found Out You Had It?

Jestgar

Jestgar Rising Star

I'm curious how many people stopped eating gluten because a child or spouse had to give it up, and subsequently discovered that you also felt better without gluten? (You can answer for your spouse too.)

For those that discovered this, did you ultimately give up all gluten? Or do you just limit it?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

upwitht21 Rookie

My husband feels better being gluten free. He has some mental health problems and we've notice a big change.

krystynycole Contributor

I know we eat healthier so my husband feels better because he's not eating as much crap as before and now more natural foods without all that processing. He really only eats it when we got out which isn't often at all.

dcns65 Apprentice

I have gone gluten-free because the other three family members have to be gluten-free because of celiac disease. We've been gluten-free for about a month now. I feel awful right now with excessive stomach acid. I have never suffered from heartburn like this before with pain and burping. I just saw the doctor today and she gave me a prescription for Nexium. I'm hoping it helps. If not, I may start eating crackers again!

mushroom Proficient

My husband went gluten free at the same time I did. He had had some problems with diarrhoea but nothing severe. After a year he started cheating on the diet with french bread and an occasional beer, and he broke out in DH :P Made a believer out of him.;)

researchmomma Contributor

I went completely gluten-free when my daughter had to. I have endometriosis and noticed that I no longer have pain from that. I find that quite interesting. I also have more regular bowel function (I have always had a problem with constipation) and I also seem to have more energy.

I am also a complete nutter and I am now baking like crazy so I started packing on pounds that I want my daughter to gain (failure to thrive).

I also don't buy anymore processed foods with over 10 or so ingredients in them. After about the 10th ingredient, it always seems to be a bunch of crap. Ya know?

My husband is a gluten eater with my son. However, all our dinners are gluten-free.

weluvgators Explorer

This happened for us. My oldest Dd and I went strictly gluten free for our second child and ended up with gluten hypersensitivity and anaphylactic reactions to gluten. We are all very careful to remain gluten free.

Our third child was born gluten free and has never had a direct gluten trial. And he has reactions to gluten contamination . . . Not sure how he fits into your question.

Dad of the family is strictly gluten free at home and has gone for weeks at a time without gluten. But while he feels better being gluten free, it is only marginally noticeable . . . And easily ignorable for the sake of "convenience" when out of the house and not with us.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliebove Rising Star

I went gluten-free for my daughter and didn't feel any better. Then I learned of my egg allergy! Felt TONS better after I stopped eating eggs.

I kept our house pretty much gluten-free for several years. My husband does love his pizza and sandwiches. Daughter and I are not big pizza lovers so it didn't bother us to order him a pizza once in a while. And I bought him premade sandwiches on occasion. But other than that they house was gluten-free.

I do have diabetes and I have to watch my carbs. I found that I did a little better carbwise eating wheat as opposed to rice. So I started buying wheat bread for myself once in a while and also wheat cereal. Once in a great while I will get a small pizza. But now that my daughter and I can eat dairy again, I will usually buy or make a gluten-free pizza if we are going to have it. I really burned her out on it by making it once a week when we resumed the dairy. I think she would be happy if she never had it again. Except that Garlic Jim's now makes a gluten-free taco pizza. She loved that. I didn't care much for it so I made her one of my own. I used to make taco pizza all the time. We both preferred mine! Heh.

So, no. I didn't feel better by going gluten-free.

xjrosie Apprentice

My daughters were diagnosed even though they had no symptoms. Through education, I realized that all the things I had been dealing with since I was a teenager were symptoms of Celiac. I am not 100% gluten-free (my daughters are, I am just trying to be efficient with my money and eat up the gluten food before switching over.)

However, I have noticed that since restricting the gluten in my diet, I am not gaining weight anymore. My headaches are nearly gone. I am thinking my anemia is getting better since my nose is healing (from blowing it all the time in the winter) and I am not getting sores around my mouth that won't heal. My white bumpy patches that covered my arms are almost gone. And, my hair quit falling out.

I have about $100 worth of groceries sitting in boxes and bags waiting for my friend to pick them up, because I went through everything and got rid of anything we couldn't eat.

• 1 month later...
SugarBiscuit Newbie

I am Celiac and my husband has been going on and off of my diet. He has anemia and keratosis pilaris, extreme fatigue, lots of GI issues, and is very irritable. His father also has really severe joint issues and diabetes. Other children in our family appear to have gluten allergy or Celiac symptoms, but none of them feel it is severe enough to visit a doctor. I thought perhaps I was just imagining these things because I have Celiac, so I told my husband, and asked him to try gluten free for a week.

Only a week in, he stopped being tired, quit having tummy issues, and his keratosis pilaris nearly vanished. He stated it was the best he has ever felt. However, he went to a friends for burgers and hot dogs, and started eating gluten again. He skin broke out all over and he once again became his sleepy and grumpy self again. He believes that he at least has a gluten allergy, but is unwilling to abstain from gluten, unless he has an official diagnosis. Since he continues to eat gluten, I am thinking about making him an appointment to get a Celiac panel done. I am fairly sure that he has it, his symptoms are just not to the severe degree that mine were. Even if he doesn't I think there is some sort of allergy issue going on.

beachbirdie Contributor

I started dabbling in gluten-free and grain-free eating because my daughter was having digestive issues we couldn't narrow down. We finally figured out that is was most likely wheat causing her trouble. Even on gluten, all her serology comes back negative.

Then my mom started having things that looked suspicious, and we had her tested, but she came back negative. We didn't know the tests were inaccurate because of her IgA and IgG deficiency. She just started a gluten free life two weeks ago.

Then we kept on because my daughter-in-law had a severe intestinal infection that only began to heal after going on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. We learned to cook with "SCD legal" foods on her behalf.

Because my son lives with my daughter-in-law, he also went grain free, and then the itchy rash he'd had for YEARS cleared up.

I asked my doctor to test me, given that I had two bouts of diverticulitis and I also have Hashimoto's disease. She tested me, and the few tests she did were negative (I was not eating gluten at the time). We did discover that I have one of the "celiac genes".

So, I decided to start "glutening" just to see if it would make a difference in any of my tests. I did get a positive TtG IgG.

Of all my family, I'm the only one to come up with a positive celiac test, and I was just told today by a nurse who knows a lot about the disease that I should consider myself celiac.

I honestly wouldn't have thought so, given that I don't have many strong symptoms only minor ones.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

My husband could use a good strict gluten-free trial for a month.

As we've gotten older his iron stomach is less iron. And now he can't handle fatty foods. Which incidentally, usually are accompanied by gluten. Sound familiar??

This started when I went gluten-free...so he's gluten light. Hint hint.

Oh, and he has at least half a gene because our son has a half Celiac gene that isn't MINE.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

My husband could use a good strict gluten-free trial for a month.

As we've gotten older his iron stomach is less iron. And now he can't handle fatty foods. Which incidentally, usually are accompanied by gluten. Sound familiar??

This started when I went gluten-free...so he's gluten light. Hint hint.

Oh, and he has at least half a gene because our son has a half Celiac gene that isn't MINE.

My hubby has to eat gluten-free meals when he's here on the weekends. (He travels during the week for his job). I think he started to notice that gluten was a problem because of sometimes going several days without, then when he has it some symptoms flare? Instead of getting tested..(he has many symptoms and Hashi's,diabetes 2 and a family history of many AI's)he makes sure to eat something with gluten every day so he can keep his response at a more manageable level. :blink:

Lately his Arthritis is looking more like RA. He keeps complaining to me about his symptoms, but if I dare say anything about changing his diet he gets mad. I have to bite my tongue or it turns into an argument. To be honest though, it's hard to feel sympathetic when he won't get tested or go gluten-free.

He's diabetic and doesn't regulate his sugar intake at all. It's not uncommon for him to have cookies and milk after eating supper..and a bit later a huge bowl of ice cream, followed by grazing through various snacks all evening. :blink: If I don't buy the stuff..he runs out to the grocery store and gets it himself.

My hubby has to eat gluten-free meals when he's here on the weekends. (He travels during the week for his job). I think he started to notice that gluten was a problem because of sometimes going several days without, then when he has it some symptoms flare? Instead of getting tested..(he has many symptoms and Hashi's,diabetes 2 and a family history of many AI's)he makes sure to eat something with gluten every day so he can keep his response at a more manageable level. :blink:

Lately his Arthritis is looking more like RA. He keeps complaining to me about his symptoms, but if I dare say anything about changing his diet he gets mad. I have to bite my tongue or it turns into an argument. To be honest though, it's hard to feel sympathetic when he won't get tested or go gluten-free.

He's diabetic and doesn't regulate his sugar intake at all. It's not uncommon for him to have cookies and milk after eating supper..and a bit later a huge bowl of ice cream, followed by grazing through various snacks all evening. :blink: If I don't buy the stuff..he runs out to the grocery store and gets it himself.

My hubs travels all the time, too. You should hear the stories about eating Italian in Boston...

He loves beer, too but has drastically cut it since he sees a correlation between beer+beer belly+ankle swelling when he flies.

He gets big doses of gluten, too, on a regular basis but I am starting to notice when he complains about his stomach it is after a big heavy meal that contains fats and gluten. He has changed his habits and rarely eats greasy, heavy meals (or so he claims). So he is changing his diet (less gluten but also less fat)...and he isn't a sweet freak but he is a bread and cheese maniac...so I don't worry about him binging on sweets but if you bring buffalo mozzarella in the house watch out!!!

I don't bring up the gluten thing but I did flat-out state that he has a food issue somewhere as indicated by his digestive problems after meals. He agreed but isn't sure what it is...he thinks it's fatty stuff (and we know that can just be a side-effect of gluten but you can't tell him that).

So yeah, I keep my mouth shut too.

And let's not even get into my son and his "too full makes me vomit" issue that of course isn't a problem with milk or gluten.

I live with the king and prince of DeNile. And my dad is King Supreme Emperor.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

He gets big doses of gluten, too, on a regular basis but I am starting to notice when he complains about his stomach it is after a big heavy meal that contains fats and gluten. He has changed his habits and rarely eats greasy, heavy meals (or so he claims). So he is changing his diet (less gluten but also less fat)...and he isn't a sweet freak but he is a bread and cheese maniac...so I don't worry about him binging on sweets but if you bring buffalo mozzarella in the house watch out!!!

I don't bring up the gluten thing but I did flat-out state that he has a food issue somewhere as indicated by his digestive problems after meals. He agreed but isn't sure what it is...he thinks it's fatty stuff (and we know that can just be a side-effect of gluten but you can't tell him that).

So yeah, I keep my mouth shut too.

And let's not even get into my son and his "too full makes me vomit" issue that of course isn't a problem with milk or gluten.

I live with the king and prince of DeNile. And my dad is King Supreme Emperor.

Celiac can cause gallbladder issues which would make digesting fats a problem?

Sounds like my hubby is traveling up DeNile too?

Honestly, my hubby is constantly complaining about various symptoms..and I just don't know what to say anymore?! They all fit with Celiac.

Honestly, my hubby is constantly complaining about various symptoms..and I just don't know what to say anymore?! They all fit with Celiac.

Yes, could be gallbladder.

I don't think we can do a thing until they are ready to try gluten-free or get tested.

I can force our son to get tested, hubs is another story :).

frieze Community Regular

one thing to say is "keep your life insurance policy paid up", another is "please by buy long term care insurance".

one thing to say is "keep your life insurance policy paid up", another is "please by buy long term care insurance".

Funny, sad, true.

IrishHeart Veteran

Hubs went gluten-free about a month after my DX because he felt it was burdensome for me to make two of everything (and thanks so much because I was still dazed from gluten and multiple deficiencies and had trouble with all that) and he said as a scientist and chemist who ran labs, he feels cross contamination is too big of a risk. He just felt it would be easier to take that variable out of the equation. Sounded good to me! ;)

I did not ask him to go gluten-free. He just gave it all up--his beloved Guinness and all! :lol:

I know his allergies and C issues are connected, as I am sure his depressive mother with constant GI problems was a gluten-intolerant if there ever was one :rolleyes: , but he was skeptical. At first.

He is a good sport, makes our bread and take probtioics when I push them.

He feels great! Lots of energy and no falling asleep after dinner and does not take the allergy medication anymore. he is 10 years older than I am but seems 10 years younger.

I said "See, that's because you're gluten-free", and he says "if you say so, babe." I think he remains skeptical that he is sensitive to gluten, but on the few occasions he has experimented outside the house, he gets a tad grouchy and forgetful---totally uncharacteristic of him ---and I tell him loudly--See what I mean!! :lol: . I get the eye rolls, of course. Still a skeptic, I think. But I know what I see.

He does not complain about our gluten-free home ---because he gets gourmet cooking and has no room to complain! But I am the lucky one--because he is 100% supportive.

AVR1962 Collaborator

Both my adult daughters were already gluten-free. One of them convinced me to try and that's when I figured out my own issues with gluten. The one child left at home, and my husband, eat all gluten-free at home but of course eat differntly when out of the house. I wish I could convince them to always be gluten-free as I think they would both feel better.

cyberprof Enthusiast

Well, the day has finally come for my sweet daughter, who also has been on the long road of DeNile. She was 16 when I was diagnosed and immediately thought she should go gluten-free. Then realized how hard it was and went back on gluten. I know she was a minor but was so afraid of needles that I didn't force her to have a celiac test. Over the years, she has denied any gluten intolerance. Well, this year (she's 21) she was visiting friends on spring break and she got what she thought was food poisoning. Vomitting, Big D both at the same time for hours. Fainted and friends called 911 and sent her to hospital in ambulance. When she told me the story, I asked if the hospital tested for celiac and she said no. The reason I asked was because that is exactly what happened to me that got me to get diagnosed. She said that couldn't be it.

When she got back to college, she went on a health kick, eliminating dairy, processed food, sugar and white carbs. Guess what? She had wheat today and is sick as a dog and is now convinced that she is gluten intolerant. She was pretty sure last week but is convinced now. Wow.

And I've not said "I told you so!" (but I did think it!) She is graduating in June (a full year early!) and moving home until she goes to grad school and she is very excited to cook gluten-free together. Oh, and she is dairy intolerant like her brother too.

Well, the day has finally come for my sweet daughter, who also has been on the long road of DeNile. She was 16 when I was diagnosed and immediately thought she should go gluten-free. Then realized how hard it was and went back on gluten. I know she was a minor but was so afraid of needles that I didn't force her to have a celiac test. Over the years, she has denied any gluten intolerance. Well, this year (she's 21) she was visiting friends on spring break and she got what she thought was food poisoning. Vomitting, Big D both at the same time for hours. Fainted and friends called 911 and sent her to hospital in ambulance. When she told me the story, I asked if the hospital tested for celiac and she said no. The reason I asked was because that is exactly what happened to me that got me to get diagnosed. She said that couldn't be it.

When she got back to college, she went on a health kick, eliminating dairy, processed food, sugar and white carbs. Guess what? She had wheat today and is sick as a dog and is now convinced that she is gluten intolerant. She was pretty sure last week but is convinced now. Wow.

And I've not said "I told you so!" (but I did think it!) She is graduating in June (a full year early!) and moving home until she goes to grad school and she is very excited to cook gluten-free together. Oh, and she is dairy intolerant like her brother too.

Well, I'm glad she finally figured it out. I hope it doesn't take a similar experience for my son.

Can you imagine what would have happened if you didn't know your issue, so she still wouldn't know hers? I shudder.

• 5 weeks later...
cait Apprentice

When we realized that the kids were glutening me, we made our house a gluten free zone (last summer). This winter, my son (3) started alternating between C and sudden D, and mentioned his stomach hurting a lot. I thought we should to a gluten-free trial with him, but my partner was unconvinced (he's not mine biologically, so he wouldn't have a genetic predisposition from me). We took him off major sources of dairy, which seemed to help some, but he was still having digestive problems and starting to have accidents at school. I continued to suggest that his behavior and his digestive issues might be helped by gluten-free, but she remained unconvinced and sure I was projecting my issues until recently. He's been off gluten for 2 weeks and has had normal BMs for the first time in a long time. His belly is no longer huge. He's generally happier. I think we're on the right path, though my partner is still somewhat skeptical.

Normal people can go on and off of gluten with no issue, right? She wonders if this is happening because he's been low gluten and has lost the ability to digest it. I maintain that if you remove it and then have a problem returning to it, you were never really digesting it well in the first place. (he also was a reflux baby, and had rashes that we thought were maybe related to wheat as a toddler, so I've long suspected that he had some kind of allergy/intolerance)

IrishHeart Veteran

Normal people can go on and off of gluten with no issue, right? She wonders if this is happening because he's been low gluten and has lost the ability to digest it. I maintain that if you remove it and then have a problem returning to it, you were never really digesting it well in the first place. (he also was a reflux baby, and had rashes that we thought were maybe related to wheat as a toddler, so I've long suspected that he had some kind of allergy/intolerance)

People without a gluten intolerance should be able to consume gluten once a day, once a week or once a decade and not have a problem with it.

Someone does not "lose the ability to digest it" by going "gluten light or low gluten" unless he had NO ability to tolerate it in the first place.

This is how someone test foods for sensitivities. You take them out for an extended period of time and try it. If you have symptoms, then you know.

Removing an offending food should resolve a food intolerance: it does not "create" one.

She is the not the first one I have heard say such a thing and I have no idea where this idea came from.

cait Apprentice

Right. That was my understanding as well. I think people come up with a lot of different explanations when they don't want something to be true.

Archived