#1 Cate K

Cate K

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:02 PM

Hello All,

I am quite new to the world of Celiac Disease. I am currently in the process of having my blood tested and I have to wait until March 16th to get the results. (I am currently living in Vietnam and they had to send the tests away). That means almost 3 more weeks to wait. What I am experiencing now is frightening the daylights out of me. I am not sure if I should keep waiting for the blood results or go to the doctor for a CT scan of my brain. I am hoping that someone who has Celiac can tell me if this is normal. I should add that I just started this morning on a gluten free diet.

What is happening is that my brain feels like it is floating above my body. Sometimes I get dizzy and sometimes, when I am looking at something, the picture of what I see sort of "flashes" to the next scene. I am also forgetting the simplest of things (what I had for dinner 2 nights ago, that I left the water running in the sink for the dishes, important things I am supposed to do etc.) This is very unlike me to forget anything. In my head I am, of course, thinking brain tumour.

If anyone else has experienced this I would love to hear from you. Is this something that could be typical of Celiac. I have read about "Brain Fog".

Thanks for your input. I look forward to hearing from you.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,245 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:04 PM

There you are, Cate! Welcome to the forum!

Se if you can get check for vitamin deficiencies. Or if that's difficult, just assume you have them and try and supplement. Celiac makes it hard to take in the nutrients you need. Anemia, low B12, iron, etc can make you dizzy & foggy.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#3 nora_n

nora_n

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:05 PM

some have neurological symptoms from gluten
google hadjivassiliou and he explains the antibodies and mechanism
gluten-free since may 06 after neg. biopsy symptoms went away and DH symptoms which I had since 03 got gradually better.
daughter officially diagnosed celiac and casein intolerant.
non-DQ2 or DQ8. Maybe DQ1? Updated: Yes, double DQ5
Hypothyroid since 2000, thyroxine first started to work well 06 on a low-carb and gluten-free diet
Lost 20 kg after going gluten-free and weighing 53 kg now. neg. biopsy for DH. Found out afterwards from this forum that it should have been taken during an outbreak but it was taken two weeks after. vitaminD was 57 nmol/l in may08)

#4 Cate K

Cate K

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:09 PM

some have neurological symptoms from gluten
google hadjivassiliou and he explains the antibodies and mechanism

THank you - I will check that out. I am going crazy :(

#5 SleepyBunny

SleepyBunny

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:46 AM

See how you feel on the gluten-free diet. I can understand the worry about having a brain tumor. I'm sure most people on here have thought they have had some terrible disease because of this. I thought for sure I was going to get cancer. But now I feel like I'm on my way to being so much healthier. I had brain fog for as long as I can remember. I've had dizzy spells too. I would sleep a lot and get migraines. Since going gluten free I've had maybe 2-3 migraines since. For me the whole brain fog thing feels like my brain was sitting in dirty dish water. My memory was getting worse. Usually when you can't remember something you know if you really think about it it'll come back to you. Well it was getting to where when I couldn't remember something it felt like my brain just deleted what I was trying to rememeber. Be patient and take things a step at a time. I know it's hard not to worry but if you worry too much you're just going to upset yourself. There is a lot to learn and it can be overwhelming but the people on here are very helpful and sweet. If you have any questions just ask and we'll try our best to help :)
Gluteny - the 8th deadly sin

#6 Cate K

Cate K

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:49 AM

See how you feel on the gluten-free diet. I can understand the worry about having a brain tumor. I'm sure most people on here have thought they have had some terrible disease because of this. I thought for sure I was going to get cancer. But now I feel like I'm on my way to being so much healthier. I had brain fog for as long as I can remember. I've had dizzy spells too. I would sleep a lot and get migraines. Since going gluten free I've had maybe 2-3 migraines since. For me the whole brain fog thing feels like my brain was sitting in dirty dish water. My memory was getting worse. Usually when you can't remember something you know if you really think about it it'll come back to you. Well it was getting to where when I couldn't remember something it felt like my brain just deleted what I was trying to rememeber. Be patient and take things a step at a time. I know it's hard not to worry but if you worry too much you're just going to upset yourself. There is a lot to learn and it can be overwhelming but the people on here are very helpful and sweet. If you have any questions just ask and we'll try our best to help :)

Thank you for the info. Have you had any testing done?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: