Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

The Dumbest, Ugliest, And Hardest Focaccia...

12 posts in this topic

So, I am a seasoned cook and baker. Very seasoned. The monstrosity that came out of my oven today is my first gluten-free failure (and I've been baking a LOT of gluten-free breads, etc.) and what a failure it is. Too bad I did not take a photo before I threw it out. I cannot believe I just threw out baking. Let me describe it:

It is as white as a kleenex, as hard as marble, and R A W in the centre (after I practically had to use a hacksaw to cut it). It probably weighs more than most children and is as dense as some celebrities. It stands about 1/2" tall. It has absolutely zero redeeming qualities. How could it when one cannot even bite into it unless you want to see your dentist?

Anyway, let this be a reminder to all of you - please include the yeast in the recipe rather than let it sit out on the counter! :P

Ads by Google:

That's always so disappointing. Sounds like it would have made a good hockey puck for the breadsticks I made last week. You could have driven nails with them.

When I cooked for a living I learned to put all ingredients in a line on the counter to my left. As I used them I lined them up on the right. That kept me from either forgetting something or adding an ingredient twice.

I hope your next attempt goes better.

That's always so disappointing. Sounds like it would have made a good hockey puck for the breadsticks I made last week. You could have driven nails with them.

When I cooked for a living I learned to put all ingredients in a line on the counter to my left. As I used them I lined them up on the right. That kept me from either forgetting something or adding an ingredient twice.

I hope your next attempt goes better.

I'm usually super organized and could make focaccia blindfolded. I just left that one little container sitting there - somehow it was hiding on me. My next attempt is tomorrow but this time WITH the yeast! :) As I am a recipe tester I also line up ingredients like you. I just neglected one of the most important components! :lol:

Well thanks for the laughs! laugh.gif

Sorry your bread didn't work out but thanks for the giggle. :lol: It reminds me of my gluten-free Irish soda bread shaped doorstop.

I have been meaning to do what the cooks do on the cooking shows, like premeasure the ingredients and line them up. . You have just given me an extra incentive (besides having left things out myself a few times ;) )

It's comforting to know that even seasoned bakers can have the occasional flop. I'm sure your next attempt will be much better.

You could use it in your garden for a stepping stone? :D

Sorry your bread didn't work out but thanks for the giggle. :lol: It reminds me of my gluten-free Irish soda bread shaped doorstop.

:lol::lol::lol:

It's comforting to know that even seasoned bakers can have the occasional flop. I'm sure your next attempt will be much better.

You could use it in your garden for a stepping stone? :D

Oh, yes. It's funny - I probably bake at least 3-4 times per week (sometimes a few times in one day) and this is the first time I forgot the danged yeast!

You know what's funny? It actually was the perfect shape/density for a stepping stone. :lol:

Bubba's Mom has now given me a couple laughs today. Thumbs up!

So, I am a seasoned cook and baker. Very seasoned. The monstrosity that came out of my oven today is my first gluten-free failure (and I've been baking a LOT of gluten-free breads, etc.) and what a failure it is.

Well, that's pretty remarkable, really, that you are just now getting around to producing a gluten-free flop. That's a pretty good run.

Well, that's pretty remarkable, really, that you are just now getting around to producing a gluten-free flop. That's a pretty good run.

I've always been a good, confident baker and really know my food science so know what makes/doesn't make sense. That and tons of practice. This failure sure was a doozy! That thing is enough to give you nightmares! ;)