22 replies to this topic

#1 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 10:26 AM

It seems like after I get an initial reaction I might feel bad for a day or two. Sometimes after this I'll start to feel better...maybe for a day...but then the symptoms will return. It will go back and forth like this for a couple weeks. Is this normal or is something else causing me to start feeling bad again? I'm wondering if other people get these "off and on" symptoms or is it more like you feel bad right away and gradually get better with each day?
Rachel

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 laurelfla

laurelfla

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 09:41 AM

I'm wondering if other people get these "off and on" symptoms or is it more like you feel bad right away and gradually get better with each day?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i want to know too!
i had tummy troubles, nausea and fatigue when school started a couple of weeks ago, then i felt better for about 2 days, then the symptoms came back, then they went away again, then they came back, and i'm finally feeling okay now. i have tracked down a couple things i was using (moisturizer, shampoo, etc) that contained gluten, but am not sure if those were the problem or whether i ate something sketchy. and if i ate something sketchy, was that all one reaction or several? no idea! :( i gues it is a tough question to answer, though, since everybody's experience is so individualized.
diagnosed 8/05 through positive bloodwork & biopsy
gluten-free since then!

"Those who are willing to be vulnerable move among mysteries." Theodore Roethke

#3 Drew

Drew

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 08:15 PM

It seems like after I get an initial reaction I might feel bad for a day or two. Sometimes after this I'll start to feel better...maybe for a day...but then the symptoms will return. It will go back and forth like this for a couple weeks. Is this normal or is something else causing me to start feeling bad again? I'm wondering if other people get these "off and on" symptoms or is it more like you feel bad right away and gradually get better with each day?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My best guess would be that you are getting dosed with gluten again and again. It is extremely difficult to actually eat gluten free unless you completely give up on eating out.

For me, if I am eating gluten free my symptoms clear up within a week. I get DH and there are days when I thought I was doing well but those spots appear. Sometimes I feel like crying at that point because its too late and I know I will have to wait it out as more sores run their course, for up to a week. However I would say that symptoms appear worst 1 to 2 days after being glutenized, then get steadily better if no more is ingested

#4 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 10:09 PM

Thanks for your reply :)

I'm sure you're right...I just found out today that I've been eating some tortilla chips which are no longer guaranteed gluten-free. :o That could very well be the cause of my ups and downs the last couple weeks. I'll just have to wait it out...again. :(
Oh yeah...I haven't eaten out in months and I dont plan on trying it till I get much better. Does your DH ever show up as a single blister or do they always have to come in groups? On my arms there are usually several of them but occasionally I'll get a couple blisters on my face...right now there is one on each cheek. The same spot...both sides. They don't itch like the ones on my arms but they take forever to go away when I get them. Its definately a reaction but I don't know if its dh or not. Do they ever show up like this?
Rachel

#5 BabySnooks

BabySnooks

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 08:16 AM

i want to know too!
i had tummy troubles, nausea and fatigue when school started a couple of weeks ago, then i felt better for about 2 days, then the symptoms came back, then they went away again, then they came back, and i'm finally feeling okay now. i have tracked down a couple things i was using (moisturizer, shampoo, etc) that contained gluten, but am not sure if those were the problem or whether i ate something sketchy. and if i ate something sketchy, was that all one reaction or several? no idea!  :(  i gues it is a tough question to answer, though, since everybody's experience is so individualized.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I still have a lot of questions. I have no symptoms (diagnosed in July, 2005). Why is a moisturizer or shampoo containing gluten bad? I thought you had to ingest gluten for it to harm you????
[size=3]BabySnooks
Diagnosed with celiac disease July 8, 2005 by endoscopy and colonoscopy.
Rediagnosed with Celiac Sprue August, 2006 with positive duodenal and small bowel biopsies.

#6 Guest_katzmeow21_*

Guest_katzmeow21_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2005 - 12:09 AM

I still have a lot of questions.  I have no symptoms (diagnosed in July, 2005).  Why is a moisturizer or shampoo containing gluten bad?  I thought you had to ingest gluten for it to harm you????

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you go to celiacdiseasecenter.columbia.edu/CF-HOME.htm it gives great info on many aspects of celiac disease. I just read tonight that they feel(and they are researchers) that probably gluten-free moisturizers, shampoos are most necessary for celiac disease'ers with skin problems but can be done as extra precaution if you choose. I guess I would choose especially to make sure that lipstick is gluten-free as you literally eat that off. And another consideration is how frequently we are using patches to deliver everything from birth control to nitro glycerin. So its very factual to realize that our skin could possibly absorb this also.
mary jane

#7 aikiducky

aikiducky

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 02:15 AM

I think that what a lot of people are concerned about (me too) isn't shampoo, conditioner etc. being absorbed by the skin but getting in your mouth while washing, or getting on your hands and then in your mouth later when you eat etc. Personally I prefer gluten-free shampoo etc. because then that's one less thing to watch out for in the house...

Pauliina

#8 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 08:54 AM

I think that what a lot of people are concerned about (me too) isn't shampoo, conditioner etc. being absorbed by the skin but getting in your mouth while washing, or getting on your hands and then in your mouth later when you eat etc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is the reason I switched to gluten-free...I got sick from my lotion because I was touching my food, licking my fingers and I discovered that I absentmindedly touch my lips everytime I'm sitting here on the computer. :blink:
Also its not that hard to get shampoo in your mouth while showering...or maybe its just me but for that reason I switched.
Rachel

#9 leudy

leudy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 09:00 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do the same thing! It seems to last for 2-7 days and then I will be okay until another atttack. Are your symptoms only gastro? I am having swelling in the throat and eso. and I feel like I have been blown up with air. Sound familiar?

#10 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 09:35 AM

I do the same thing!  It seems to last for 2-7 days and then I will  be okay until another atttack.  Are your symptoms only gastro?  I am having swelling in the throat and eso. and  I feel like I have been blown up with air.  Sound familiar?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Swelling is a sign of an actual allergy and that can be serious so don't mess around with that at all. I have an allergy to wheat in addition to celiac and that sounds very familiar...a few times I had to go to the ER because I felt like I could not breathe.

BabySnooks- in regards to the products to be gluten free..it's not a concern about being absorbed in the skin because it can't enter through skin unless you have an open cut. The problem is there is high chance of ingesting trace amounts of products in some way, shape, or form. If you wash your hands with gluten containing soap and then prepare your food, now your food is contaminated with traces of gluten. There are those things that need to be addressed as well.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#11 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 09:59 AM

I do the same thing!  It seems to last for 2-7 days and then I will  be okay until another atttack.  Are your symptoms only gastro?  I am having swelling in the throat and eso. and  I feel like I have been blown up with air.  Sound familiar?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I rarely get the "typical" gastro symptoms. My symptoms are muscle/joint pain, burning/tingling, depression, brainfog, weight loss, fatigue, headache, burning eyes and mouth. Bascially everything but the cramps and diarreah. I've never gotten swelling in my throat though....I think probably Kaiti is right about that being an allergy symptom.
Rachel

#12 Guest_katzmeow21_*

Guest_katzmeow21_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2005 - 11:40 AM

This is the reason I switched to gluten-free...I got sick from my lotion because I was touching my food, licking my fingers and I discovered that I absentmindedly touch my lips everytime I'm sitting here on the computer.  :blink:
Also its not that hard to get shampoo in your mouth while showering...or maybe its just me but for that reason I switched.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Please advise what shampoo you use. Also what dish deterget, hand soap and moisturizer :) I have been looking online and found Johnson baby shampoo and suave. What about conditioner?
Thanks
PS. I have found that Lancome and Avon have lots of lipsticks that are gluten free
Waiting to see if my favorite MAC lipstick is gluten-free. :unsure:
mary jane

#13 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 11:45 AM

Dove products will clearly indicate gluten
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#14 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 11:47 AM

Please advise what shampoo you use.  Also what dish deterget, hand soap and moisturizer :)  I have been looking online and found  Johnson baby shampoo and suave.  What about conditioner?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I use Dove soap, Planet dish detergent, Lubriderm Extra Sensitive lotion, All free and clear detergent, California Baby super sens. shampoo & conditioner or Paul Mitchell instant moisture conditioner.
Rachel

#15 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 11:59 AM

mary jane-
i use a softsoap hand soap...and for my body washes i now use California Baby products. they are all natural and the entire line is gluten-free. you can see them at californiababy.com oh, and i just see rachel posted that she uses those products too. they are great. what mac lipstick do you use? i used to have a ton of their makeup, and in the end i got rid of it all...i always felt like i was still taking a risk. 2 types of their lipsticks definitely contain wheat germ oil. i posted what ones here before: http://www.glutenfre...407

benefit says all their lipsticks are gluten-free. i now use only bare escentuals lipsticks. if you read the post above it might give you more info...it is on makeup, skin care products etc that are gluten-free.
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: