Symptoms

• Please log in to reply

22 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_katzmeow21_*

Guest_katzmeow21_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2005 - 12:08 PM

mary jane-
i use a softsoap hand soap...and for my body washes i now use California Baby products.  they are all natural and the entire line is gluten-free.  you can see them at californiababy.com  oh, and i just see rachel posted that she uses those products too.  they are great.  what mac lipstick do you use?  i used to have a ton of their makeup, and in the end i got rid of it all...i always felt like i was still taking a risk.  2 types of their lipsticks definitely contain wheat germ oil.  i posted what ones here before:  http://www.glutenfre...407

benefit says all their lipsticks are gluten-free.  i now use only bare escentuals lipsticks.  if you read the post above it might give you more info...it is on makeup, skin care products etc that are gluten-free.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks to both Rachel and you for the info. much appreciated :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 01:06 PM

mary jane-
i use a softsoap hand soap...and for my body washes i now use California Baby products.  they are all natural and the entire line is gluten-free.  you can see them at californiababy.com  oh, and i just see rachel posted that she uses those products too.  they are great. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yup...you recommended them to me awhile back. Thanks for that! I ordered them online but also found them at Whole Foods. Perfect for me since I have chemical sensitivities (which seem to be improving).
Rachel

#18 Drew

Drew

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 06:09 PM

On my arms there are usually several of them but occasionally I'll get a couple blisters on my face...right now there is one on each cheek. The same spot...both sides. They don't itch like the ones on my arms but they take forever to go away when I get them. Its definately a reaction but I don't know if its dh or not. Do they ever show up like this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes the bumps can show up one at a time. And if they show up symmetrically as they have on your face, thats a classic symptom of DH.

Well it sounds like you are commited to eating gluten free. I am too but so far I have only succeeded for at most a month at a time. I keep getting zapped ! We just have to keep trying and I am sure things will get easier as more people recognize that they too are Gluten Intolerant

#19 Matilda

Matilda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 07:11 PM

#20 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 10:15 PM

Yes the bumps can show up one at a time.  And if they show up symmetrically as they have on your face, thats a classic symptom of DH.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hate these bumps. :angry:
I'm thinking they're probably not DH since they don't itch at all. I just call them gluten bumps since they come if I get severely glutened. Funny...I only had them in the very beginning of my illness...then none for 2 years...and now that I'm gluten-free they are back! <_<
They've been on my cheeks 3 weeks now and I know they'll probably be around for a long long time. They just look like sores now. :(
Rachel

#21 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2005 - 02:19 PM

I actually get cystic acne on my face when glutened (OUCH!) and then as the gluten gets out of my system, it goes away. Weird!

#22 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 02:58 PM

I actually get cystic acne on my face when glutened (OUCH!) and then as the gluten gets out of my system, it goes away. Weird!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What is cystic acne like? Are they like bumps that stay for a really long time? Mine don't itch or hurt. Also they don't have pus or fluid or anything. They just look like blisters at first and then they dry up and look like little sores.
Rachel

#23 Guest_katzmeow21_*

Guest_katzmeow21_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2005 - 05:15 PM

After 4 !/2 months gluten-free I'm only just starting to feel that I can tell what's going on as to whether I've had gluten or not.

At first I felt fantastic, as lots of people say, and I think that might be just taking away the big gluten load. There've been lots of ups and downs when I haven't been able to tell whether I've glutened myself or have developed another food problem. I think it might be a mixture of both, plus it just takes time to get better.

I've had 1 definite glutening where I felt horrible for 2 weeks, which helped put the other ups and downs in perspective. Recently I licked an envelope and watched the same symptoms come and go over just a couple of days. It's really hard to be completely gluten-free at first, and it's really hard to pin down symptoms to a particular thing.

Two things I've found useful: firstly really limiting my diet to things that definitely seem ok, and not experimenting at the moment, and secondly keeping a food diary. Most days if I feel ok I can't be arsed to write anything down, so it's become a diary of possible glutenings, and is really useful to look back over. Also, it makes it very obvious that things are getting better when I see I haven't written anything for a couple of weeks.

I got very cross with myself earlier this week when I knew I had definite gluten symptoms without having eaten anything suspicious. It's taken me a while to sort out what gluten symptoms are for me, but I've found the sure one's are diarrhoea, then itchy feet, exhaustion, indigestion pains, twitches and aching muscles. I double-checked everything I could think of. I was giving my husband nasty hints about maybe getting a muffin crumb somewhere. Eventually I checked my new Dove face wash. I'd remembered something about Dove being ok, but had forgotten it was ok because gluten is labelled, and I hadn't read the label - this stuff was full of gluten. I was really pleased to find the cause of my symptoms. A little while ago I just wouldn't have been able to tell that I'd definitely had gluten or narrow down where it came from.

So, I mainly wanted to say it does get easier. And Kaiti is absolutely right, I'm sure you can get glutened by stuff you put on your skin if it gets in your mouth.

Best wishes,
Matilda

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Matilda- I just read your symptoms and felt like you are almost the first who I've read gets this twitching. I'm new to this forum and there has been one other of all I've read that gets this(or maybe it was you :unsure: . Is it actual muscle twitching all over the body or more in the legs . Also the itchy foot thing... I'm trying to figure out why my hands and feet get this burning feeling on/off and it's induced by pressure or rubbing .. then it gets kind of an itch.
mary jane

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: