37 replies to this topic

#16 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:43 PM

Actually Strawberry_Jam, you might find this super-interesting. There is a celiac vaccine in clinical trials. It's what's behind Alice's homebrew vaccine idea.
http://www.celiac.co...ials/Page1.html

This is one of the articles looking at which peptides might be useful in a vaccine for DQ2 celiacs that was part of the research leading to the vaccine being tested.
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/19299713

The problem is that first, there is no proof of concept and second, eating a little soy sauce is a far cry from a recombinant peptide vaccine.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Strawberry_Jam

Strawberry_Jam

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:50 AM

can... can you translate into normal english for me? I only understand about half of what they're talking about.

It is fundamentally different from a regular vaccine tho, it seems, because with a regular vaccine you take it once (or with a few boosters) and that's all you need, but this is a weekly or monthly injection. Well, maybe it's like the tetanus shot, except you need it more often?

also, it doesn't involve gluten per se, but some other aspect of it, so hurting yourself with gluten doesn't seem comparable.

gluten-free 25 Feb 2011
soy-free 30 March 2011

dairy-free 30 August 2011 (roughly)

25 yrs old
diagnosed Celiac through biopsy and blood test (WAY positive) as of 25 Feb 2011

#18 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:29 AM

I'm going to let someone else take a stab at translation 'cause I'm not sure what you are looking for. They're using a bit of the gluten protein, a specific peptide, one a lot of celiacs react to. It does strike me more as desensitization than a vaccine; the gluten tolerance it would induce would be hopefully be permanent though.

#19 alicewa

alicewa

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:01 AM

I just finished watching a lecture on the celiac vaccine by WEHI: http://www.wehi.edu....ectures/?page=2

Sounds like it will have to be maintained, but as long as you get the vaccine monthly all should be good. Why would it have to be periodic though? :unsure:

#20 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:38 AM

I really doubt they actually know. :lol: Heck, they don't even know that it will work in the first place. This is all very theoretical stuff.

#21 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:24 PM

@Alice
Thanks for posting the link Alice, very interesting talk by Dr. Anderson. It's neat that people are working on treatments for celiac disease. Really interesting too that there is an idea it might help lead to treatments for other auto-immune diseases. That would be a real big upside for so many people.

@Strawberry
I do know that for hay fever allergies they give shots in a series. So mine were twice a week for a while, then once a week for a while then once a month for a while etc. So this is a standard way of doing it to build up a tolerance.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#22 alicewa

alicewa

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:49 AM

Have they started phase II trials for the vaccine?

#23 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:31 AM

Have they started phase II trials for the vaccine?

Dunno. The most reliable place to look is http://clinicaltrials.gov.

#24 GFinDC

GFinDC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:18 PM

Do keep in mind that the vaccine is not for all celiacs, but a subset. I think he said those with DQ-2 are targeted, but not DQ-8. I hope I got that right and not backwards. So, it will not work for all people, if it does work that is. The testing isn't complete, so we don't yet know if it works.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#25 alicewa

alicewa

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:35 PM

No they haven't started the next phase yet. :( Probably sometime in 2-4 months they said. ;)

I'd love to enrol!! :)

You're probably not all that interested in what happened with the cupcake, as I'm sure there are others who've done the same thing. I went, and got one yesterday morning and the chocolate mocha honeycomb flavour tasted so good!! The texture was consistent throughout.

I've had friends tell me my cakes taste too gummy - now I know why. :(

Didn't get all that sick. :) Had a slight burning sensation in the oesophagus overnight :huh: and some intestinal discomfort that doesn't seem to be going away just yet. :o

Has anyone yet tried a salt water flush. I saw someone else who posted that they did and their gluten symptoms were over. Could I try it, perhaps. What are the risks? Didn't seem like there were any, really...

Won't do it again, I promise. ;)

#26 Strawberry_Jam

Strawberry_Jam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:52 PM

Don't expect much sympathy or advice if you go off and willingly gluten yourself, after announcing to us that you would <_<

don't expect me to be relieved you didn't get sick, either. I just woke up from a nightmare that my family fed me something "gluten-free" then admitted to breading it with wheat breadcrumbs just 'cause. In the dream I cursed them out, threw the plate on the floor, and ran off to buy some activated charcoal in a last ditch attempt to stave off reaction. ^^;

gluten-free 25 Feb 2011
soy-free 30 March 2011

dairy-free 30 August 2011 (roughly)

25 yrs old
diagnosed Celiac through biopsy and blood test (WAY positive) as of 25 Feb 2011

#27 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,790 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:14 AM

Has anyone yet tried a salt water flush. I saw someone else who posted that they did and their gluten symptoms were over. Could I try it, perhaps. What are the risks? Didn't seem like there were any, really...

Won't do it again, I promise. ;)

Actually there are lots of risks to a salt water flush and no you shouldn't try it but then again you shouldn't have deliberately made yourself sick either:
http://www.allaboutf...sh-dangers.html

Specific Salt Water Flush Dangers:
altars critical pH and mineral levels in the body
kills all beneficial intestinal bacteria
can overwork the kidneys as they attempt to regulate the sodium level in the blood, which has just been dramatically thrown off balance.
excess sodium the kidneys can't eliminate quickly enough, accumulates in the blood, essentially "thickening" the blood, making the heart work harder and causing your blood pressure to rise.
causes electrolyte imbalances
can cause edema
some individuals have reported "bad reactions" to the salt water flush, ending up bedridden for several days.

Medical conditions which prohibit the use of the salt water flush:
weak or diseased kidneys, or having only one kidney
high blood pressure
heart disease or weakness
edema
diabetes
stomach/intestinal disease
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#28 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:19 AM

I went, and got one yesterday morning and the chocolate mocha honeycomb flavour tasted so good!!

Didn't get all that sick. :) Had a slight burning sensation in the oesophagus overnight :huh: and some intestinal discomfort that doesn't seem to be going away just yet. :o

:rolleyes:

Why do you care what the "risks of a salt water flush" are when you purposefully did the very thing we all told you was the biggest risk of all for you to take?

There are many risks, as Raven has outlined above.

You are being ridiculous. You ignore our advice, then expect us to help you after that nonsense?

Here is the answer: A flush of your body with salt water, plain water, lake water or a magic fairy water is not going to reverse the damage you just self-inflicted.

You need some professional help with this denial you are in.
Good luck.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#29 GFinDC

GFinDC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:30 PM

Hi Alice, There are quite a few threads on what do after being glutened around the board, As you guessed it is not a super unusual thing to happen, although generally it is an accidental thing but not always. Try searching on charcoal or pepto-bismol and you should get some hits. I hope you feel better soon. :)

#30 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:31 PM

Taking activated charcoal after a glutening may not help her at all. It is administered in the event of food poisoning by acting as a sponge in the gut. The trouble is, it absorbs EVERYTHING, including medications, supplements, good nutrients. It is not "selective" about picking out what you want it to "absorb". It will disrupt your good gut flora.

Alice really needs to stop looking for ways to get around dietary compliance. She needs to stop looking for magic bullets and after-glutening pills and purges because in essence, this is not unlike binging and purging mentality. Or alcholism.

The "I'll do this just this one last time" thinking? :rolleyes: There is never one last time.

Alice, kiddo---I am dead serious. Please come to terms with this disease process because you're just torturing yourself.

If you want cupcakes, check the recipe section for good recipes.
But this is not really about the cupcakes at all.

It's about denial.
I wish you well.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: