This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Peptide Based Immunotherapy

alicewa

Strawberry-Jam Enthusiast

Don't expect much sympathy or advice if you go off and willingly gluten yourself, after announcing to us that you would <_<

don't expect me to be relieved you didn't get sick, either. I just woke up from a nightmare that my family fed me something "gluten-free" then admitted to breading it with wheat breadcrumbs just 'cause. In the dream I cursed them out, threw the plate on the floor, and ran off to buy some activated charcoal in a last ditch attempt to stave off reaction. ^^;

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Has anyone yet tried a salt water flush. I saw someone else who posted that they did and their gluten symptoms were over. Could I try it, perhaps. What are the risks? Didn't seem like there were any, really...

Won't do it again, I promise. ;)

Actually there are lots of risks to a salt water flush and no you shouldn't try it but then again you shouldn't have deliberately made yourself sick either:

Open Original Shared Link

Specific Salt Water Flush Dangers:

altars critical pH and mineral levels in the body

kills all beneficial intestinal bacteria

can overwork the kidneys as they attempt to regulate the sodium level in the blood, which has just been dramatically thrown off balance.

excess sodium the kidneys can't eliminate quickly enough, accumulates in the blood, essentially "thickening" the blood, making the heart work harder and causing your blood pressure to rise.

causes electrolyte imbalances

can cause edema

some individuals have reported "bad reactions" to the salt water flush, ending up bedridden for several days.

Medical conditions which prohibit the use of the salt water flush:

weak or diseased kidneys, or having only one kidney

high blood pressure

heart disease or weakness

edema

diabetes

stomach/intestinal disease

IrishHeart Veteran

I went, and got one yesterday morning and the chocolate mocha honeycomb flavour tasted so good!!

Didn't get all that sick. :) Had a slight burning sensation in the oesophagus overnight :huh: and some intestinal discomfort that doesn't seem to be going away just yet. :o

Has anyone yet tried a salt water flush. I saw someone else who posted that they did and their gluten symptoms were over. Could I try it, perhaps. What are the risks? Didn't seem like there were any, really...

:rolleyes:

Why do you care what the "risks of a salt water flush" are when you purposefully did the very thing we all told you was the biggest risk of all for you to take?

There are many risks, as Raven has outlined above.

You are being ridiculous. You ignore our advice, then expect us to help you after that nonsense?

Here is the answer: A flush of your body with salt water, plain water, lake water or a magic fairy water is not going to reverse the damage you just self-inflicted.

You need some professional help with this denial you are in.

Good luck.

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Alice, There are quite a few threads on what do after being glutened around the board, As you guessed it is not a super unusual thing to happen, although generally it is an accidental thing but not always. Try searching on charcoal or pepto-bismol and you should get some hits. I hope you feel better soon. :)

IrishHeart Veteran

Taking activated charcoal after a glutening may not help her at all. It is administered in the event of food poisoning by acting as a sponge in the gut. The trouble is, it absorbs EVERYTHING, including medications, supplements, good nutrients. It is not "selective" about picking out what you want it to "absorb". It will disrupt your good gut flora.

Alice really needs to stop looking for ways to get around dietary compliance. She needs to stop looking for magic bullets and after-glutening pills and purges because in essence, this is not unlike binging and purging mentality. Or alcholism.

The "I'll do this just this one last time" thinking? :rolleyes: There is never one last time.

Alice, kiddo---I am dead serious. Please come to terms with this disease process because you're just torturing yourself.

If you want cupcakes, check the recipe section for good recipes.

But this is not really about the cupcakes at all.

It's about denial.

I wish you well.

Skylark Collaborator

Alice, offering you help about how to get over a willful, self-imposed glutenening is a level of enabling behavior that I'm not comfortable with. I understand that your "I'm going to eat gluten... I ate gluten" announcement was a way of asking for help (otherwise you wouldn't post) but this is a message board. We can only offer so much through our posts and you don't seem to be paying any attention. Please seek some in-person counseling from a professional who can help you come to grips with your celiac disease.

IrishHeart Veteran

We can only offer so much through our posts and you don't seem to be paying any attention.

Not one bit! <_< Goes right around what we say, does not acknowledge those posts at all and only looks for excuses to ingest gluten.

I'm with you--no way I am enabling this behavior.

Sadly, we seem to be more concerned about Alice than Alice is about herself.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Not one bit! <_< Goes right around what we say, does not acknowledge those posts at all and only looks for excuses to ingest gluten.

I'm with you--no way I am enabling this behavior.

Sadly, we seem to be more concerned about Alice than Alice is about herself.

This is exactly why I have stopped trying to help Alice. She either isn't listening, she is purposefully trying to get attention or she wants to hurt herself and be "saved". I don't believe she is the traditional "troll" trying to incite a big argument or push crazy theories over & over. I feel sad for her but I also have hope that she will come around and accept her diagnosis. I just hope it is before her health really deteriorates.

Not meant to be mean, just saying what I feel....sad.

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Alice,

i don't know if you have read up on the withdrawal symptoms some people get from stopping gluten? This link goes over it some, but there are more articles on the web you can search on also. It seems gluten has protein sequences that are similar enough to some opioids that they can bind with receptors in the brain. So some people can actually get withdrawal symptoms. I don't think this happens to everyone though. Some people think gluten and casein can aggravate autism symptoms in people also. So some people put their autistic children on a GFCFSF diet. I don't think there is proof that it helps, but then again I don't think there is proof that it doesn't help.

alicewa Contributor

Hi Alice,

i don't know if you have read up on the withdrawal symptoms some people get from stopping gluten? This link goes over it some, but there are more articles on the web you can search on also. It seems gluten has protein sequences that are similar enough to some opioids that they can bind with receptors in the brain. So some people can actually get withdrawal symptoms. I don't think this happens to everyone though. Some people think gluten and casein can aggravate autism symptoms in people also. So some people put their autistic children on a GFCFSF diet. I don't think there is proof that it helps, but then again I don't think there is proof that it doesn't help.

Maybe I should've cut it out more gradually. I know one mother who did this with her son and he hasn't been tempted by it at all.

Though my doctor said I needed to change straight away. :huh:

Maybe the main way of thinking isn't true for some. :unsure:

alicewa Contributor

I did the salt water flush and it worked wonders. I'm started the probiotic and the effects of the other day seem to be a thing of the past. <_<

This is exactly why I have stopped trying to help Alice. She either isn't listening, she is purposefully trying to get attention or she wants to hurt herself and be "saved". I don't believe she is the traditional "troll" trying to incite a big argument or push crazy theories over & over. I feel sad for her but I also have hope that she will come around and accept her diagnosis. I just hope it is before her health really deteriorates.

Not meant to be mean, just saying what I feel....sad.

I think I'll accept it. :)

GFinDC Veteran

Maybe I should've cut it out more gradually. I know one mother who did this with her son and he hasn't been tempted by it at all.

Though my doctor said I needed to change straight away. :huh:

Maybe the main way of thinking isn't true for some. :unsure:

You mean we are not all the same? :blink::) I absolutely agree Alice. My last ex quit smoking cigarettes. The way she did it was by promising herself she could smoke only on her birthday. So every year on her birthday she would get a pack of cigarettes and smoke. After a few years of that she stopped doing it, and didn't mind not having them on her birthday. So different people can have different ways of motivating themselves. Whatever works for you is what's important, not what seems right to us. We have had people who used the same plan, they ate gluten on their birthday. The results weren't too enjoyable for them. But it was how they handled the change.

My ex is pretty stubborn (in a good way), so once she made up her mind to do something that was it. But the birthday thing just helped her stay focused. The autoimmune reaction will keep going for a few weeks once started. So that's something to be aware of. It takes a bit for the immune system to cycle down. I made plenty of mistakes when I first went gluten-free. And it would seem like I would be highly motivated, because I was in a lot of pain before gluten-free. But I still screwed up plenty, and just plain didn't get it right for awhile. But over 4 years later the gluten-free diet is now an easy thing for me. It took some getting used to for sure, but that is something people can do. Learning new things is possible. I think a lot of the issue for me was habit. I was used to eating certain foods, and they were the first things that came to mind. So I had to learn new habits of eating. After while new gluten-free things to eat became the first thing I thought of when hungry. It actually can be quite and adventure, learning a whole new way of eating.

Well, that lends a whole new meaning to the phrase rambling on I think... :)

Skylark Collaborator

I think I'll accept it. :)

Good! Maybe there will be a cure in the future, but accepting the celiac diet is the only way to stay healthy right now.

Archived