This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Canker Sores

birdie22

birdie22 Enthusiast

If you get canker sores from being glutened:

1. How soon after a glutening do they usually appear?

And

2. How long after bring gluten-free did it take for them to completely go away?

I have been gluten-free for 4 months. I seem to get one canker sore a month. I always thought it was hormone related, but now that I've been tracking all my symptoms I see that it doesn't happen at the same time each cycle. I've had them ever since I was a child except for when I was pregnant both times. Trying to determine if they are a gluten reaction for me or not.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenFreeAustinite Contributor

I used to get canker sores quite frequently. They were usually stress-related for me, but I also was eating gluten at the time. Now that I'm gluten-free, I notice them arising a lot less. As in, I think I've only had one in the past year and a half of gluten-freeness. I'm actually getting one now, because my stress level is through the roof. :(

Skylark Collaborator

I get them two days after getting glutened. It's one of the sure signs I got CC'd.

They didn't go away immediately after I started the diet. Maybe after a year or so I realized I could bite the inside of my mouth and not automatically get a canker sore. I never get them now unless I'm glutened. (Been on the diet 7 years.)

yweers Newbie

Make sure your lipstick does not contain vitamin E or Tocopherols that are made from wheat.

birdie22 Enthusiast

Thanks all for the replies. I'll have to look back to my food log and see if I can find any connection to food and onset of them. Thankfully I only get one at a time but they last for about 5-7 days so one week out of ever 4 my mouth is sore. Right now I have one on the floor of my mouth and my tongue rests right on it. Not fun!

My PCP suggested it might be a reaction to the SLS in toothpaste but I'm not so sure. Although changing toothpastes would be an easy trial.

Skylark Collaborator

My brother, who refuses to try gluten-free, uses a steroid paste that he puts on a canker sore when it's first starting. It keeps them from getting bad. Your doctor or dentist could probably prescribe it for you.

LivesIntheSun Apprentice

I get them 3-12 hours later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

quincy Contributor

If you get canker sores from being glutened:

1. How soon after a glutening do they usually appear?

And

2. How long after bring gluten-free did it take for them to completely go away?

I have been gluten-free for 4 months. I seem to get one canker sore a month. I always thought it was hormone related, but now that I've been tracking all my symptoms I see that it doesn't happen at the same time each cycle. I've had them ever since I was a child except for when I was pregnant both times. Trying to determine if they are a gluten reaction for me or not.

I suffered from horrible canker sores my whole life. about 10 years ago, I discovered that an ingredient in toothpaste called Sodium Lauryl Sulfate was in most toothpastes to make them foam up, however some people are sensitive to this irritant. in fact. this chemical is in many soap and shampoo products and causes skin irritation. Many canker sore sufferers are allergic to this

chemical.

I switched to Rembrandt canker sore tooth paste and my canker sores stopped almost completely or when I had a flare up they were not as bad. That toothpaste is expensive, but there are other commercial brands that are not as pricey that don't have SLS. They are hard to find, but I am also using the new sensodyne toothpaste and that is free of SLS as well. If you get a flare, your dentist should have an acid that he or she can apply topically to get rid of it or your doctor should have silver nitrite to burn them out as well.

hope this helps. I have been through horrible canker sores for years and I dont get them much any more. If you are getting gluten you will notice an up tick in their frequency so thats your indicator to check what you have been eating that might be the culprit of secret gluten.

Strawberry-Jam Enthusiast

I recently had a huge collection of canker sores in my mouth caused by a serious flu. They were on the bottom of my tongue and around my molars in the back of my mouth, rendering me unable to chew or talk properly.

I found that changing to an SLS-free toothpaste and treating them every night and morning with acidophilus helped them heal quickly. Just bought the pills with the powder capsules and broke them open into my mouth before sleeping.

They are not a gluten symptom for me. I don't get them often, but when the immune system is compromised, they can arise.

birdie22 Enthusiast

Thanks for the continued perspectives. Going to get an SLS free toothpaste. It can't hurt to try that although that doesn't explain why I didn't have them both times I was pregnant since I'm a loyal Colgate user and have used the same brand/type for many years.

Strawberry-Jam Enthusiast

idk if it causes them or not, but I would imagine that even if it doesn't cause them it can irritate them and make them worse once you already have them...

birdie22 Enthusiast

Bought some Rembrandt canker sore variety. Wanted the sls free toms but only could find the other toms varieties. My dh bought a different Colgate last week and that stuff burns my mouth. I also have geographic tongue and what ever is in that gel kind has really bothered my tongue.

Archived