12 replies to this topic

#1 sariesue

sariesue

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:59 AM

I really want a to have a hot breakfast cereal but since I can't have cream of wheat any more I need to find a replacement. Has any one used cream of rice to replace cream of wheat? I'm looking for something that has a similar texture as cream of wheat. I never liked oatmeal because of the texture.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:25 AM

I was never fond of Cream of Wheat but do like Cream of Rice and think the texture is probably similar. Some people also eat Pocono Cream of Buckwheat but I haven't seen it around here.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,743 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:35 AM

I get the Pocono Cream of Buckwheat. I really like it when I want something warm and soothing, especially if I have been glutened.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:59 AM

I eat the cream of rice. It cooks up pretty quickly, and I like the texture. The one I have is cream of brown rice.

#5 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:26 AM

I haven't tried the cream of rice but have tried the Pocono cream of buckwheat & find it to be very similar to cream of wheat. If you use sweetener & milk it's like cream of wheat but if you use salt & butter it's like grits.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#6 ndw3363

ndw3363

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:45 AM

I eat the Bob's Redmill Mighty Tasty gluten-free Hot Cereal (I buy it at Whole Foods or Kroger) - I add some vanilla almond milk and a touch of sugar to it, and it's a VERY good replacement for Cream of Wheat. I actually think I like it better than cream of wheat. You can add all kinds of stuff to it...maple syrup, cinnamon, fruit, etc. Directions on the package makes a large batch - I normally either make the large batch and reheat over the next few days for breakfast, or just cut the recipe down to make just enough for one day.

#7 sariesue

sariesue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:16 PM

Thank you for all the suggestions! I'll have to go shopping tommorow.

#8 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:35 PM

I get the Pocono Cream of Buckwheat. I really like it when I want something warm and soothing, especially if I have been glutened.

I eat this too. I have also tried out the savory recipes on the box and they were good also.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#9 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:17 AM

By the way, the Bob's Mighty Tasty Hot Cereal can also be substituted for cornmeal when making corn muffins, if you like a sandier texture (which I do). And it is mighty tasty as a hot cereal, especially with butter and brown sugar. But for texture, Cream of Rice is closest to Cream of Wheat, but I'm not sure I'd trust Nabisco's Cream of Rice not to be cross-contaminated with other things they make.
Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

#10 Health4U

Health4U

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:30 PM

I really want a to have a hot breakfast cereal but since I can't have cream of wheat any more I need to find a replacement. Has any one used cream of rice to replace cream of wheat? I'm looking for something that has a similar texture as cream of wheat. I never liked oatmeal because of the texture.

Try cream of buckwheat. It tastes kinda funky to me, but my son (Gluten-free Casein-free diet) loves it.

#11 Songbird34

Songbird34

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:34 PM

You could try polenta. The texture is a little softer that grits. I live it with a little pure maple.

#12 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:01 PM

cream of rice, millet grits (bob's red mill).
oatmeal can be made in many, many different textures. steel cut oats are a more similar texture to cream of wheat (I'd think?), and quick cook oats are the ... softest? least textured? something like that. rolled oats are in between.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#13 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

There are some threads about grit recipes on the forum somewhere. Grits with olive oil, salt and pepper or oats with the same, vs. sugary stuff.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: