43 replies to this topic

#1 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 09:05 PM

Hello, is anyone else having problems with nightmares. This past year of me being gluten-free I have had nightmares almost everynight. Sometimes they are so bad I stay up and try not to sleep. I think it has to do with the anxiety I am dealing with about worrying that I will be sick again liek I used to be before going gluten-free. I just am curious if any of you all ar having the same problem with the nightmares as I am.

Kristina

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 SadiesMomma

SadiesMomma

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 08:06 AM

Hi,
Well, I have had some pretty vivid dreams this last year after going gluten-free... Some are so bad that they seem so real I wake up balling, I wake up and check on my daughter making sure shes still alive or make a phone call at 4am. I usually have troubles falling asleep eventhough I am so exhausted because my mind is racing. I think a lot of it is the anxiety associated with Celiac. Honestly, as of now I do not have any suggestions but I am going to a psychologist and theyre going to prescribe me meds for my mental issues. Hopefully that will help the anxiety and ease my nerves so I can fall asleep and actually sleep, not have these dang dreams. Ill let you know how it goes.
~*HEATHER*~
Living gluten-free, Egg, Dairy, Nut, Soy, and Corn Free since Winter/Spring 2003

Fathers be good to your daughters,
Daughters will love like you do,
Girls become lovers who turn in Mothers,
So mothers be good to your daughters too.

#3 outthere39

outthere39

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 09:39 AM

I have some scary and extremely vivid nightmares. They seem to be real, real enough to the point that I become physically interactive. Sometimes I wake kicking, or punching, or feeling high anxiety. I have notice that these usually come during a bout with gluten. I noice that they will not stop until my system has recovered enough.

#4 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 01:50 PM

I go to a therapist and take anti-anxiety medication. I did notice while I was on spring break that I had only one nightmare. Then, when classes started back up I had them again. I think it is all related to the anxiety I feel about going to classes and such. I am glad to know I am not the only one with the nightmares but that also saddens me that we are having them. Thank you for the replys!

Kristina

#5 jknnej

jknnej

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 05:42 PM

Since going gluten-free, I have had extremely vivid dreams that aren't always nightmares, but keep me feeling tired throughout the day due to lack of restful sleep.
I also read in "Digestive Health and Nutrition" magazine, or some similar titile that I can't remember, that dreams such as these are common in people who suffer from bowel disorders. Hmmmm....

#6 Guest_sriddle78_*

Guest_sriddle78_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2005 - 10:05 AM

I also read about people having more vivid dreams/nightmares when there are bowel disorders. What's really crazy is that since I've gotten really bad, my dreams are worse...and almost every night I have some type of nightmare. Usually they're about someone chasing me. I see a therapist and she is convinced it is because I am scared/anxious about my health and the consequences of eating gluten catching up to me. Thankfully I sent back my stool sample to EnteroLab this morning and I am having blood work after work today. All my symptoms point to gluten intolerance (and ironically, all the symptoms of my family...my father has always had these horrible red bumps all over his forearms and knees, but the doctor says it's just an infection and gives him cream, which doesn't work...I know, after seeing pictures of DH, that's what it is...but he refuses to get tested).

Anyway...good luck with the dreams. I guess quite a few of us have them too. :(

Shannon

#7 Maggie1956

Maggie1956

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 06:48 PM

I've been having really vivid dreams for at least a couple of years. :(

They are often about me having terrible arguments with my parents (who are both now deceased), other members of my immediate family, or even worse, dreams involving the father of my two adult children. :angry: The ones involving the 'mongrel' are by far the worst. It was a very violent marriage.

After dreaming any of them, I wake up very upset. Often crying in my sleep and kicking or something similar.
I take sodium valproate which is supposed to help me fall into a deeper sleep pattern. It isn't making any difference after taking it for two years. B) :rolleyes:

Hopefull, one day we will all be healed and we can sleep easy.
SUNSHINE COAST, QUEENSLAND, AUSTRALIA

Maggie

Working towards wellness.
gluten-free (or trying to be) since December 1st 2004

positive blood test - Oct. 2004
positive biopsy -Nov. 2004

#8 phakephur

phakephur

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 01:04 PM

I've had bad dreams on a regular basis all my life. Generally it's things like being shot at, natural disasters, my pets being horribly injured.
Since going gluten free, I have dreamed repeatedly about being far away from home and there's nothing to eat. Often I am in a crowded place and there are large buffets of food, but it's ALL bread, breaded/fried vegetables, processed meat, pasta, etc. Once I dreamed I was on a train and the porter started handing out bags of bread for lunch. I asked if there was any fresh fruits or vegetables I could have but there weren't. Another time I dreamed about being trapped in a nursing home, again with nothing to eat.

Sarah

#9 Deby

Deby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 01:05 PM

I can't ever remember not having nightmares. I started taking Paxil about a year ago and that was the relief I needed. The nightmares are way down, maybe one or two a month as opposed to four or five a night. Has anyone else tried Paxil? My doc said it was good at relieving anxiety, which was my biggest problem.
Monica
anti-body negative, self diagnosed, Gluten free since March 2001. Two sons (8) also have celiac. Antibody and biopsy positive. I love to cook and after much much experimentation can now get by pretty well!

#10 Thomas

Thomas

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 06:34 PM

Sorry to hear about your nightmares.

#11 jknnej

jknnej

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 09:08 PM

It's almost a month since I posted last, and I still have awful dreams every night.
For my IBS my doctor prescribed Elavel? sp? and I haven't started it yet but it's supposed to help you sleep as well as help your IBS..it's an antidepressant.
Anyone else take this?

#12 Professor

Professor

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 06:53 PM

I might as well throw in an answer. I have either no dreams, or extremely violent ones. HOrrid ones. Scary.

OK, there is one other. At least once a week, in my dream, I suddenly realize I'm eating bread. Always on the third piece (maybe it's a roll, or pastry, or a piece of pie, or whatever), I realize what I've done and am shocked and terrified. My daughter woke up the other day and said that SHE dreamed I was eating bread, too -- also three pieces. Odd.

Patty
I am a doctor, but not that kind, and I don't play one online anyway!

#13 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 04:51 PM

I just am curious if any of you all ar having the same problem with the nightmares as I am.

I also have a lot of nightmares. I'm not quite sure why though... maybe it's stress?
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#14 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 05:02 PM

I get nightmares occasionally. Some are worse than others. I will wake up sometimes with tears dripping down my face and my heart racing and im in a sweat. Other times I just wake up and turn my body and go back to sleep. Even with the really horrible dreams I can usually go back to sleep pretty fast. I don't know if it is a correlation with foods I eat? Since it only happens occasionally I am wondering if possibly when I have a certain thing to eat it may cause that. They have actually gotten alot better since I have been on a gluten-free diet so it might have had something to do with a reaction that the gluten was causing to my body.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#15 cdford

cdford

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 09:54 PM

Are nightmares just part of the mix? I have had them for years. Periodically they get really strange...last night I delivered five babies in one night and kept losing them in the bed. It was hilarious to remember the next morning trying to nurse all those babies. My poor aging mother was having a time helping me keep up with all those tiny babies. For a while there I kept dreaming that someone in the family was in the hospital and I could not move to get to them (I have the neurological problems and am wheelchair bound so I know where those come from.)

Sometimes the dreams are awful, sometimes just vivid, and sometimes just plain weird. Rarely, they are the usual run of the mill kind other people talk about.

I do not tend to have them as badly when the docs keep me on a really low dose of nortryiptilene. The dose is not high enough to be efficacious for depression but really helps with the sleeping and nightmares.
Donna
South Georgia
9 yrs gluten-free
...also DH, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, osteopenia, hypothyroid...

After almost 10 years, I am doing soooo much better!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: