This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

gluten-free Nail Polish Remover?

WinterSong

WinterSong Community Regular

Anyone have any information on brands that are gluten free?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mbrookes Community Regular

Are you drinking the polish remover? The gluten has to be ingested, not touched, to harm you.

Are you drinking the polish remover? The gluten has to be ingested, not touched, to harm you.

I know that. But if you put a gluten-containing product like nail polish, nail polish remover, lotion, ect on your hands and then eat something like fruit with your hands, you can ingest small amounts of gluten. There are numerous people on this board who said they have gotten sick this way.

Also some people have a skin disorder called DH. They will be harmed if gluten comes in contact with their skin.

This is why people are also careful about shampoo, cosmetics, ect. I try to be mindful of any products that I use.

Gemini Experienced

I know that. But if you put a gluten-containing product like nail polish, nail polish remover, lotion, ect on your hands and then eat something like fruit with your hands, you can ingest small amounts of gluten. There are numerous people on this board who said they have gotten sick this way.

Also some people have a skin disorder called DH. They will be harmed if gluten comes in contact with their skin.

This is why people are also careful about shampoo, cosmetics, ect. I try to be mindful of any products that I use.

I would think that anyone using nail polish or remover would wash their hands well before eating or eat with utensils. Usually nail polish remover is made from acetone, although there is acetone free remover available, which contains alcohol. Neither of these chemicals should ever be ingested and I would think that would be a bigger worry than ingesting gluten. Just because numerous people have said they have gotten sick this way does not mean they got sick from gluten. They probably got sick from ingesting chemicals or from something else that could have been eaten earlier. I have yet to see any nail polish remover which contains gluten anyway. It's all chemicals.

As for DH, that reaction comes from within, from ingesting gluten. If you have a break-out from touching wheat or gluten, you may have an additional allergy, which is more in line with this type of reaction. One is an intolerance, the other allergy....totally different animals. I am not saying you should not screen your skin cleansers but your reasons for doing so are not necessary for everyone.

gary'sgirl Explorer

Hi Wintersong,

I don't know whether or not there could be gluten in nail polish remover. I only recently found out that there could be trace amounts of gluten in some nail polishes, so I decided to just stop using any for now.

I just wanted to encourage you that even though some people may not think that you have to be careful of topical gluten, I and my kids definitely do. I don't often post about it, because people who don't have to deal with it don't tend to understand and can make you feel like you are crazy - even on this board. But that is okay because they just haven't been there and can't relate on the same level at the time.

In my experience if something topical has gluten in it, it may not matter how careful you are about washing your hands. It only takes one moment of being distracted and touching say, your cup of water before you wash your hand and then after washing going back and touching the cup and then putting a bite of food in your mouth. Most Celiacs may not react to this very small trace amount of gluten, but I do, and every time I have second guessed myself and thought that I couldn't possibly react to that little then I inevitably get sick.

I say do what you feel you should do even if most celiacs don't think there is a need to. And if you find out any other info about the polish remover please let us all know! :)

Hi Wintersong,

I don't know whether or not there could be gluten in nail polish remover. I only recently found out that there could be trace amounts of gluten in some nail polishes, so I decided to just stop using any for now.

I just wanted to encourage you that even though some people may not think that you have to be careful of topical gluten, I and my kids definitely do. I don't often post about it, because people who don't have to deal with it don't tend to understand and can make you feel like you are crazy - even on this board. But that is okay because they just haven't been there and can't relate on the same level at the time.

In my experience if something topical has gluten in it, it may not matter how careful you are about washing your hands. It only takes one moment of being distracted and touching say, your cup of water before you wash your hand and then after washing going back and touching the cup and then putting a bite of food in your mouth. Most Celiacs may not react to this very small trace amount of gluten, but I do, and every time I have second guessed myself and thought that I couldn't possibly react to that little then I inevitably get sick.

I say do what you feel you should do even if most celiacs don't think there is a need to. And if you find out any other info about the polish remover please let us all know! :)

Thank you for the reply. As careful as we all are, you're right about those small moments of distraction. I just figure that if there is a choice between a hand/facial product that has gluten in it and one that doesn't, I'd rather have the extra comfort of getting one that doesn't contain poison. :)

Btw, I use wet'n'wild nail polish. Their line is gluten free, inexpensive, and I haven't had a problem with it.

FernW Rookie

I am super sensitive and use the cheapest one I can find, 3 for a dollar would be great. I have never had a problem with nail polish remover, though I did have a problem with shampoo and lotion.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gemini Experienced

Hi Wintersong,

I respectfully disagree with you on this one. Those of us who have mastered this diet and all the quirks

are not being careless in any way, regardless of what others may think. I do not have any problems with wheat allergies so topical gluten isn't a problem. There are things that are no-brainers like hand cream and lip products which every Celiac should use but many people are that careful and do not ingest gluten. How do I know? Complete resolution of symptoms and reversal of high antibody counts in all 4 of my autoimmune diseases. That is proof enough for me that I am doing things correctly. I am not saying that everyone can do this, especially kids because kids will never be able to remember all this until they are adults. But do not assume that those of us who can master this problem are not being careful. I take this disease very seriously and have had total success with the way I do things. As I stated, ingestion of nail polish remover

ingredients like acetone is far more serious than gluten ingestion. Acetone can cause kidney failure in anyone so should be avoided. I won't even use a nail salon that reeks of acetone because the vapors are not good either. In industry, acetone is used under a chemical hood and you go into salons and it's out on a table with no ventilation! :o

gary'sgirl Explorer

I respectfully disagree with you on this one. Those of us who have mastered this diet and all the quirks

are not being careless in any way, regardless of what others may think. I do not have any problems with wheat allergies so topical gluten isn't a problem. There are things that are no-brainers like hand cream and lip products which every Celiac should use but many people are that careful and do not ingest gluten. How do I know? Complete resolution of symptoms and reversal of high antibody counts in all 4 of my autoimmune diseases. That is proof enough for me that I am doing things correctly. I am not saying that everyone can do this, especially kids because kids will never be able to remember all this until they are adults. But do not assume that those of us who can master this problem are not being careful. I take this disease very seriously and have had total success with the way I do things. As I stated, ingestion of nail polish remover

ingredients like acetone is far more serious than gluten ingestion. Acetone can cause kidney failure in anyone so should be avoided. I won't even use a nail salon that reeks of acetone because the vapors are not good either. In industry, acetone is used under a chemical hood and you go into salons and it's out on a table with no ventilation! :o

Hi Gemini,

After reading your reply to what I wrote I went back and read through what I said, and I realize that I wasn't very clear with the words that I chose. It sounded like I said that other people with Celiac are not careful(I shouldn't have used the word "careful") about not ingesting gluten. I'm sorry, that was not what I meant to say at all.

What I meant was that I do have to make sure that there are no products in my house that contain gluten because even if I am as careful as I can possibly try to be I end up - at some point anyway - getting what we all like to refer to as "glutened". ;)

I definitely agree with you about being careful about chemicals. One of the things I am dealing with, as a result of undiagnosed celiac for too long, is chemical sensitivity. Let me tell you - suddenly you are way more aware of all the awful chemicals that are all around us all the time. :unsure:

I can't have any kind of unnatural sent and now all those "pretty" smelling perfumes and fabric softeners stink horribly to me! :)

Anyway, sorry for the miscommunication! my brain is still foggy most of the time. :rolleyes::(

Archived