6 replies to this topic

#1 UnicornTaco

UnicornTaco

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:28 PM

Hi, I was just diagnosed with celiac today, and I was wondering if anyone could provide me with a list of gluten free foods?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:31 PM

First off for at least the first 3 months you need to be eating whole foods. Meats, fresh or frozen fruits & veggies but NOT with anything mixed in with them if they're frozen. And NO oatmeal.
This will give you gut time to begin healing while being kind to it & not overloading it. Also, during that time you can read here & learn about all the pitfalls you need to avoid. Like cross contamination (cc) issues etc....

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#3 ciamarie

ciamarie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:50 PM

There's a sticky topic at the top of the forum topic (and linked here) with an FAQ (frequently asked questions) about Celiac Disease. It has links to several good articles on this site, including a list of foods to avoid as well as gluten-free foods. Hope that helps!
Gluten-free since the end of October 2011

#4 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:02 PM

Hi and welcome to the gluten-free club.

Here is an article on basics of the diet.
www.celiac.com/articles/22060/1/The-Gluten-Free-Diet-101---A-Beginners-Guide-to-Going-Gluten-Free/Page1.html

In the gluten-free shopping section of the article it has links to safe and unsafe ingredients. Feel free to ask more specific questions if something is confusing.

If you want an easy shopping list, all fresh fruit and veggies are safe, eggs, rice, potatoes, plain canned or dried beans, plain meat or fish you cook yourself, and grab a loaf of gluten-free bread if you can find it to have with eggs for breakfast. Udi's or Rudi's brands are really good. :) That will get you started. Season your food with onions, garlic, or plain spices like oregano or basil. No seasoning mixes as some have gluten. I'd suggest you skip dairy for now if you have a lot of tummy trouble - it's gluten-free but most newly diagnosed celiacs find it really hard to digest. Skip processed foods, pre-seasoned meats, canned foods, or things in packages that don't specifically say gluten-free until you are more used to the diet and ready to take on the fine art of label-reading. B)

#5 UnicornTaco

UnicornTaco

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:37 AM

Squirmingitch, Can I eat non frozen gluten free things mixed together such as peppers and corn?

And thank you everyone else, I was certially check out the links you've provided!

#6 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:21 AM

Squirmingitch, Can I eat non frozen gluten free things mixed together such as peppers and corn?

Veggies in any combination you like is fine, frozen, fresh, or canned. The problem with frozen or canned is that sometimes they have sauces or seasonings with gluten. Make sure you are getting just plain vegetables.

#7 UnicornTaco

UnicornTaco

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:11 PM

Okay, thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: