22 replies to this topic

#16 Lori2

Lori2

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:42 AM

So, someone here mentioned staying away from sugar. By choice or necessity? I am trying to figure out if I am having a reaction to sugar. I normally get cravings before my period. Since going gluten-free, the things I eat to fill those cravings are devoid of just about everything (chocolate, which now gives me heartburn, dairy, eggs and gluten...just so happens the best gluten-free goodies I have found are also vegan) except sugar. And I have gotten the bubble guts each time ive indulged. Anybody know anything I don't?

I have a sensitivity to sugar (beet, cane, honey, agave, xylitol--my gum--dates, raisins). Cane sugar showed up as positive on an IGg blood test--the only one of the group included in the test. The others identified by elimination and symptoms.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 grey3098

grey3098

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:15 PM

Hi--my friend gave me permission to share the recipe, saying she got it from someone 15 or 20 years ago!

2 C gluten-free oatmeal (not instant, though), uncooked
2 C water

Soak for 1 hour then add
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 C grated onion
1/3 C salter roasted sunflower seeds
(or, in place of the onions and sunflower seeds use 2/3 raisins)

Continue soaking 1 more hour

Spread in a well-greased 9 by 13 pan and bake in a *preheated* 350 degree oven for 45-55 minutes, until slightly browned.

She said that when this is done correctly (and I did not do it right the first time! lol) it is sturdy enough for sandwiches!

#18 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:43 PM

Hi--my friend gave me permission to share the recipe, saying she got it from someone 15 or 20 years ago!

2 C gluten-free oatmeal (not instant, though), uncooked
2 C water

Soak for 1 hour then add
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 C grated onion
1/3 C salter roasted sunflower seeds
(or, in place of the onions and sunflower seeds use 2/3 raisins)

Continue soaking 1 more hour

Spread in a well-greased 9 by 13 pan and bake in a *preheated* 350 degree oven for 45-55 minutes, until slightly browned.

She said that when this is done correctly (and I did not do it right the first time! lol) it is sturdy enough for sandwiches!

Thanks so much to you and your friend :-) I'll consider this recipe a treasured "secret" ;-) I won't be able to try it for three more weeks though. Decided to cut oats for a month (based on recommendation)
Self diagnosed January 2012, and on elimination, low-salicylate & low-iodine diet.
Also G6PD

#19 grey3098

grey3098

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:35 PM

YOU SAID "Decided to cut oats for a month (based on recommendation)"

Would you mind sharing why? I keep trying oats and getting iffy results but I know they are gluten-free.

#20 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:45 PM

YOU SAID "Decided to cut oats for a month (based on recommendation)"

Would you mind sharing why? I keep trying oats and getting iffy results but I know they are gluten-free.

To test if I react to them, and that's the only way to be able to tell. I don't know if you're reacting or not but the only way for you to know is to do an elimination diet like me. I ate nothing but meat and green vegetables for a week. When I started feeling that I detoxed, I added a food back to my diet and tried it for three days, then added a new one if all went well. Oats have to be cut off for a month to know if it's the culprit for sure.
Self diagnosed January 2012, and on elimination, low-salicylate & low-iodine diet.
Also G6PD

#21 grey3098

grey3098

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:56 PM

To test if I react to them, and that's the only way to be able to tell. I don't know if you're reacting or not but the only way for you to know is to do an elimination diet like me. I ate nothing but meat and green vegetables for a week. When I started feeling that I detoxed, I added a food back to my diet and tried it for three days, then added a new one if all went well. Oats have to be cut off for a month to know if it's the culprit for sure.

In January I began the elimination diet by doing the "detox" period eating only safe foods, then trying one food at a time. Now that I've gone through most of the foods I am going through some one more time to be sure. Wheat is for sure though not clear on whether or not that means "gluten". Dairy is for sure. Mushrooms and eggs are also for sure allergic reactions.

What I don't like about oats is that they seem to really mess with my blood sugars and, since beginning all of this testing, I have learned that blood sugars above a certain number come from foods I cannot tolerate. But I hate to just dump them for that reason since I don't seem to be having asthma or itching or the other more serious results. Still, I am learning SO MUCH about my body that I hate to just ignore this sign.
Thanks for always replying :)

#22 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:15 PM

In January I began the elimination diet by doing the "detox" period eating only safe foods, then trying one food at a time. Now that I've gone through most of the foods I am going through some one more time to be sure. Wheat is for sure though not clear on whether or not that means "gluten". Dairy is for sure. Mushrooms and eggs are also for sure allergic reactions.

What I don't like about oats is that they seem to really mess with my blood sugars and, since beginning all of this testing, I have learned that blood sugars above a certain number come from foods I cannot tolerate. But I hate to just dump them for that reason since I don't seem to be having asthma or itching or the other more serious results. Still, I am learning SO MUCH about my body that I hate to just ignore this sign.
Thanks for always replying :)

What do you usually eat them with? Oats are mainly fiber.. I don't think they're that high on energy, but then again I'm no expert.. and they are still considered carbs :-/ I hope you figure it out and they work for you. Sorry you're having such a tough time.
Also G6PD

#23 Sparky10

Sparky10

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:43 PM

Good to hear someone else has 'throat' issues...I get mucus in the throat as soon as I eat just about anything and it last for hours after eating...but at least I stopped the 'war' in my stomach after eating by taking pro biotic capsules plus no more constipation!,, simply amazing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: