This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Just Got Home From Thailand...

Melissa Palomo

Melissa Palomo Apprentice

The best part? When the food was good, it was very very good.

i-nsqBBdv-M.webp

...and when it was bad, it was horrid. Ok it didn't *taste* bad - but I did get the wrong meal delivered to me and ate it. Good thing I'd already preemptively took some pepto bismol that day (ah, love gluten-free traveling) and didn't get as sick as bad as I could have.

i-38VRRwD-M.webp

And I had forgotten all about these bad boys. Yup, those are fun with Celiac disease.

i-t5K2LcD-M.webp

GoPicnic meals were also found in my luggage in abundance and I tried to replace one meal/day with one. It was easy and they aren't too shabby for an adult lunchable. ;)

But see, it wasn't all bad!

i-qjkfKnW-M.webp

But the Celiac Travel cards were a life saver. Yay for those! Find them in many languages for download here: Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

melikamaui Explorer

Ok, I have to ask. What is the little measuring cup for? Do I want to know?

And YAY for you!!! I have taken a few trips to Europe, but haven't ventured to Asia just yet. I'm working up to it. I'm freaked to go anywhere where I REALLY don't speak the language. Before we went to Italy last year I made sure I had the phrase "My sons and I have celiac disease. Do you have any gluten free foods?" down pat.

AVR1962 Collaborator

Wonderful! The squat toilets still exist in Italy as well. Lived there for 2 years and even some of the nice restaurants had squat toilets.

Glad you had a god time. One place that's on my list to visit!!

Ok, I have to ask. What is the little measuring cup for? Do I want to know?

And YAY for you!!! I have taken a few trips to Europe, but haven't ventured to Asia just yet. I'm working up to it. I'm freaked to go anywhere where I REALLY don't speak the language. Before we went to Italy last year I made sure I had the phrase "My sons and I have celiac disease. Do you have any gluten free foods?" down pat.

It's to manually flush the potty. :P The tank on the side is full of water. Squatty potties and I have a long history - we don't get along. haha. It was definitely an experience!!

Wonderful! The squat toilets still exist in Italy as well. Lived there for 2 years and even some of the nice restaurants had squat toilets.

Glad you had a god time. One place that's on my list to visit!!

I think they exist everywhere but the US - ha! I don't understand the foreign squatty potty love. :unsure: But yes, it's amazing - go if you get the chance!!

sa1937 Community Regular

I'd be afraid I'd just fall in! And at my age, I'd probably not be able to get back up!!! laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

love2travel Mentor

Speaking of squat toilets, that is one of the nicer ones I have seen. One I saw literally was a pipe coming out of the floor. That's it. :o

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

I'd be afraid I'd just fall in! And at my age, I'd probably not be able to get back up!!! laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

haha! I looked for the handicapped stall but it was taken so I just went for it. I can imagine my thighs might get mighty tired (or toned!?) if I had to use them on a regular basis. ;)

Speaking of squat toilets, that is one of the nicer ones I have seen. One I saw literally was a pipe coming out of the floor. That's it. :o

When I went on a train ride (11 years ago - yeesh!) from Hong Kong to Beijing the train had squatty potties - that were just holes from the floor to the tracks. I wore flip flops in, and only came out with one. I lifted my foot up and my flip flop fell right off... and on to the tracks. ha! I went in with tied shoes next time. :P

• 2 months later...
benXX Rookie

I think they exist everywhere but the US - ha! I don't understand the foreign squatty potty love. :unsure: But yes, it's amazing - go if you get the chance!!

No, not everywhere. And in Thailand they are disappearing too. In the city a butt-spray replaces the scoop-cup.

IrishHeart Veteran

Melissa,

I admire your fearlessness while traveling. :)

Nice tats, too.

I only went 1500 miles away from home for the first time since recovering

from years of being ill with Un-Dxed celiac disease and I found it just a little intimidating. And I stayed within the US and had access to non-squatty potties. :lol:

I got hit despite my best efforts, but you know what I learned?

we should travel anyway. Life is for living. Not being paranoid.

I had a blast seeing good friends and eating up a storm.

So the GoPicnics aren't too bad? my friend has those in her gluten-free bakery/store and I have wondered about them.

Good for you enjoying life, kiddo!

Cheers,

IH

Archived