3 replies to this topic

#1 cavernio

cavernio

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:31 AM

So there's lots on here about people associating headaches with eating gluten, but I have the opposite problem.

I've been gluten-free almost 2 months now, and I haven't had headaches this frequent since I was a kid. (I'd get them all the time as a kid, especially in summer.) I thought that maybe it was bananas, because I swear I've had headaches caused by bananas before, and I started eating more of them in smoothies recently. (Gotta fill the toast and cereal breakfast void with something!) But I haven't had banana in quite a few days now.
I've had decaf a couple days in a row from Second Cup, I suppose there's likely residual caffeine in the decaf if they don't clean their canisters well or interchange them, but definitely not withdrawal from regular caffinated drinks, I only had a cup of tea a week ago.

Just asking if anyone else has had a lot of headaches when they started going gluten-free.
diagnosed Jan 2012, bloodwork only
June 2012 positive visual of celiac disease from gastroscopy

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shelleylyn

shelleylyn

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:25 AM

Yes, but usually it is because I ate something with "hidden" gluten. Since you are so new to the diet, there is a good chance that you are getting hit with tiny bits of gluten from your food, pans, or other form of cross contamination.
  • Diagnosed Celiac July 2011
  • Failure to thrive baby, thought to be lactose intolerant
  • Happy to be gluten-free!

#3 jstwnttbhealthy

jstwnttbhealthy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:15 PM

So there's lots on here about people associating headaches with eating gluten, but I have the opposite problem.

I've been gluten-free almost 2 months now, and I haven't had headaches this frequent since I was a kid. (I'd get them all the time as a kid, especially in summer.) I thought that maybe it was bananas, because I swear I've had headaches caused by bananas before, and I started eating more of them in smoothies recently. (Gotta fill the toast and cereal breakfast void with something!) But I haven't had banana in quite a few days now.
I've had decaf a couple days in a row from Second Cup, I suppose there's likely residual caffeine in the decaf if they don't clean their canisters well or interchange them, but definitely not withdrawal from regular caffinated drinks, I only had a cup of tea a week ago.

Just asking if anyone else has had a lot of headaches when they started going gluten-free.

i get headaches from msg. and there is a lot of it in glutenfree foods with hidden names - carrageenan, gums, natural flavors...........
Elisabeth

#4 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:54 PM

I found I was getting headaches more frequently too. I keep a log of everything I eat, along with any symptoms, which helped me learn that dairy, soy, and MSG(autolized yeast extract) was getting me.
I highly recommend a food log. Many of us react badly to things until we heal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: