13 replies to this topic

#1 bottleored

bottleored

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:30 AM

I've been making batches of gluten-free cupcakes for my 4 year old daughter and freezing them. My problem becomes when I try to frost them, it becomes a mess - lots of crumbs and the frosting doesn't stick. If I frost them for eating immediately, most of the time it's fine. Can I frost cupcakes and then freeze them? Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks!

Caroline

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:56 AM

I frost cupcakes with a pastry bag. Never any crumbs and you can make them look pretty and professional. B) You can make a small, serviceable, disposable pastry bag by cutting off the corner of a plastic bag and dropping in a piping tip.

#3 mamaw

mamaw

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:28 AM

Here's what we do. We frost the cupcakes with a pastry bag & tip.. Then I put a toothpick in the center & wrap in a good plastic wrap.(wrap like a tent) I place the wrapped cupcake in a margarine plastic container & freeze. Grankids take these to school ike this & take out when needed. always perfect every time...Make sure you are using a moist batter when making the cupccakes. I use Annalise Roberts recipe. Moist & fluffy even after being froze...

The margarine container also keeps the cupcake from being squashed.....

hth*********** mamaw

#4 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:33 AM

I made cupcakes the other day and frosted them with Betty Crocker gluten-free frosting and stuck them in the freezer. After they were completely frozen, I covered them as the frosting was hard by then. I did bake them in the baking cup liners. Worked great.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#5 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:39 AM

I use Annalise Roberts recipe. Moist & fluffy even after being froze...

I also used one of Annalise's recipes for Vanilla Cupcakes. I was very pleased with how they turned out in spite of the fact that I had to make up my own brown rice flour mix. Would love to try the Authentic Foods blend she uses but it's nowhere to be found around here and way too expensive to order online (for my taste at least).
Sylvia

#6 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:59 AM

I saw a suggestion in the past that you cut the cupcake in half like a layer cake and put the icing in the middle before freezing (no icing on top). It wasn't specifically for gluten-free, but it seems to be worth a try.
Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

#7 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:52 PM

Hi Sylvia

I think the vanilla cupcakes are the best! I also blend her flour too! cheaper that way! I bake alot for four celiac so I go through a lot of flour...even the glutens eaters now ask for this cupcake.....
Annalise is a great person & the cookbooks are wonderful....

#8 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:13 PM

Hi Sylvia

I think the vanilla cupcakes are the best! I also blend her flour too! cheaper that way! I bake alot for four celiac so I go through a lot of flour...even the glutens eaters now ask for this cupcake.....
Annalise is a great person & the cookbooks are wonderful....

How coincidental that you posted this now as I just devoured one of the cupcakes that I took out of the freezer before dinner. It is absolutely fantastic and probably the best I've made so there's definitely no problem using that recipe, frosting them and then freezing. And for anyone on a budget or feeding a family, they're really inexpensive to make. I was pleasantly surprised. I guess I hesitated before as I didn't have her flour, which I'd still love to try.

I do have Gluten-Free Baking Classics, which I'd highly recommend to anyone. I've made a couple of the yeast bread recipes and have some of the ingredients measured out to make her Orange Bread tomorrow since the cupcakes turned out so well with the brown rice flour mix.
Sylvia

#9 bottleored

bottleored

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:42 PM

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I had forgotten that idea about putting the icing in the middle - might encourage her to actually eat the cupcake and not just the icing! I found Annalise's recipes, so I'll be trying those for the next batch.

#10 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,235 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:50 PM

One thing to do is put a thin layer of icing on the cake. Let it be full of crumbs. Then freeze briefly to harden the icing. Now put a nice thick layer on. All the crumbs are caught in the " crumb layer" and the top layer is nice.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#11 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:57 PM

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I had forgotten that idea about putting the icing in the middle - might encourage her to actually eat the cupcake and not just the icing! I found Annalise's recipes, so I'll be trying those for the next batch.

Also there are cupcake corers, which take out a bit of the middle to stuff with frosting, although I don't think I'd want to give up part of the cupcake to do that. King Arthur Flour has one here.
Sylvia

#12 sariesue

sariesue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:36 PM

You don't have to freeze the cupcakes solid for it to work either, just enough so they are cold. That's how I frost cakes and cupcakes.

#13 xjrosie

xjrosie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:55 PM

I know this isn't cupcakes, but my kids are always begging me to make them. They prefer them over cupcakes, actually

Cake balls (I hate the name but hey, I'm not that inventive)

I make the cake normally. Then I break it up and mix it with the frosting. Make little two-inch balls out of the new batter. Then, dip them in chocolate. Once the chocolate hardens, storage is easy.

#14 bottleored

bottleored

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:57 PM

I know this isn't cupcakes, but my kids are always begging me to make them. They prefer them over cupcakes, actually

Cake balls (I hate the name but hey, I'm not that inventive)

I make the cake normally. Then I break it up and mix it with the frosting. Make little two-inch balls out of the new batter. Then, dip them in chocolate. Once the chocolate hardens, storage is easy.

Oooh - that's a great idea for all of the miscellaneous parties at school where I want to bring in something cool for her and the other children - thanks!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: