#1 smsm

smsm

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:33 AM

I have seen this on a couple of other blogs/sites in the past couple weeks:
"Just spoke with a representative at Mars and was told that ANY kind of M&Ms could now say "may contain wheat" as they are now produced in two kinds of facilities. So there may be coconut M&Ms out there that are still gluten-free and produced in a facility that does not contain gluten and would not have CC. On the other hand, there could be regular or peanut M&Ms out there that now say "contains wheat" so be VERY careful and remind everyone to read the label every time."
I don't want to violate any rules about passing along rumors - I haven't seen any bags with "may contain wheat" - I have read (on this site - http://celiacintheci...re-gluten-free/) if the M&Ms ARE packaged in a facility with the pretzel ones, it will contain the warning. If they are NOT packaged there, the warning will not be on the package.
I use M&Ms for my children as a safe food when flying/traveling or for the movies - I am going to start checking. I haven't seen any packages with this label - anyone have any problems with M&Ms lately?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 dcns65

dcns65

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:58 AM

I hope this is not the case! My DD LOVES M & M's. It was one of the first things she checked 4 months ago when she found out she had to be gluten free. They are in the trail mix she eats too.
Mom to 2 children with Celiac and husband with Celiac
Son-diagnosed Sept. 2011 with numbers off the chart, positive biopsy, hypothyroidism, ADHD, PDD (totally mainstreamed in School)
Daughter-diagnosed Jan. 2012 with no symptoms blood test positive, biopsy negative, hypothyroidism. Chose to go Gluten Free, dancer and straight A high school student
Husband-positive blood test, hypothyroidism and decided to skip the endoscopy

#3 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:05 AM

Did you think about emailing the company, yourself?

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#4 smsm

smsm

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:58 AM

I have emailed them already this morning - I will post them as soon as I get a reply!

#5 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:12 AM

I have emailed them already this morning - I will post them as soon as I get a reply!

That's great! I hope its OK. :ph34r:

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#6 ncteacher

ncteacher

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:38 AM

Good post! I will be following this thread for updates, since M&Ms are one of the things I hoped I could hold on to (once I'm less afraid of lactose products). It's been VERY difficult finding a chocolate fix with no lactose. Hoping M&Ms will be labeling for gluten too.
Iron-deficiency anemic since 2008.
Vitamin D deficient since 2009.
Presumed lactose-intolerant since 2005.
Self-diagnosed gluten-intolerant since February 2012, and in the experimental phase of being completely gluten-free.
Don't want a biopsy. Don't want endoscopy. Blood tests will probably do no good, since I'm doing this on my own.

#7 heatherjane

heatherjane

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:36 AM

I have a pack of plain M&Ms right here and do not see wheat listed. From what I've heard, the Mars company has a pretty good practice of labeling the 8 major allergens. Let us know what you find out, though.

#8 smsm

smsm

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:11 PM

OK,I have a 4.5 hour flight this week with my kids and to do without M&Ms was stressing me out so I called the 800 number instead of waiting on the email. The woman at Mars confirmed that all M&Ms except pretzel ones are gluten free. She also confirmed that some M&Ms are now being processed on the same line as the pretzel M&Ms. She said the ones that are processed with the pretzel ones will now contain the warning "may contain wheat" on the back of the package to indicate possible cc (she did say they clean between processing). If they don't contain that label, they were not processed on the pretzel line and there is no possibility of cc. She said they do not use any rye or barley in their candies, so wheat is the only concern. We are free to enjoy - just check the back if you are worried about cc. Phewf. I will still post the email response when I get it.

#9 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:19 PM

The response before had been that the special holiday colors might be run on the same lines as the pretzel ones. If I think of it, I will check the Easter colors to see if they say that. That may be the ones they are talking about.

Thanks for sharing this. I just had some peanut ones yesterday. :D

dancing-turkey.gif

#10 JJO45

JJO45

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:38 PM

I'M new to this sorry if my question sounds dumb but dosent all chocolate have gluten in it?

#11 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:42 PM

I'M new to this sorry if my question sounds dumb but dosent all chocolate have gluten in it?

No. If it has gluten it will be listed as wheat, malt or barley malt in the ingredients.

dancing-turkey.gif

#12 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:42 PM

I had decided not to eat any of them now that they make the pretzel ones, from fear of cross-contamination. If they really do label like this, it will be a relief.
Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

#13 smsm

smsm

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:37 AM

Sorry - I did ask about the holiday and seasonal colors (I typed out the response and then lost it and didn't include that the second time) - she said it doesn't matter about color - they are still gluten-free as long as they aren't pretzels - all colors are made of dye/confectioners sugar/corn starch. I would feel better if I had this all in writing though.

#14 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:56 AM

Sorry - I did ask about the holiday and seasonal colors (I typed out the response and then lost it and didn't include that the second time) - she said it doesn't matter about color - they are still gluten-free as long as they aren't pretzels - all colors are made of dye/confectioners sugar/corn starch. I would feel better if I had this all in writing though.

It doesn't matter because they will label them with the statement if they are made on the pretzel lines.

dancing-turkey.gif

#15 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:21 AM

Most chocolate DOESN'T have wheat. But some does.

richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: