Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

M&Ms

18 posts in this topic

I have seen this on a couple of other blogs/sites in the past couple weeks:

"Just spoke with a representative at Mars and was told that ANY kind of M&Ms could now say "may contain wheat" as they are now produced in two kinds of facilities. So there may be coconut M&Ms out there that are still gluten-free and produced in a facility that does not contain gluten and would not have CC. On the other hand, there could be regular or peanut M&Ms out there that now say "contains wheat" so be VERY careful and remind everyone to read the label every time."

I don't want to violate any rules about passing along rumors - I haven't seen any bags with "may contain wheat" - I have read (on this site - http://celiacinthecity.wordpress.com/2010/03/01/coconut-mms-yes-theyre-gluten-free/) if the M&Ms ARE packaged in a facility with the pretzel ones, it will contain the warning. If they are NOT packaged there, the warning will not be on the package.

I use M&Ms for my children as a safe food when flying/traveling or for the movies - I am going to start checking. I haven't seen any packages with this label - anyone have any problems with M&Ms lately?

Ads by Google:

I hope this is not the case! My DD LOVES M & M's. It was one of the first things she checked 4 months ago when she found out she had to be gluten free. They are in the trail mix she eats too.

Did you think about emailing the company, yourself?

I have emailed them already this morning - I will post them as soon as I get a reply!

I have emailed them already this morning - I will post them as soon as I get a reply!

That's great! I hope its OK. :ph34r:

Good post! I will be following this thread for updates, since M&Ms are one of the things I hoped I could hold on to (once I'm less afraid of lactose products). It's been VERY difficult finding a chocolate fix with no lactose. Hoping M&Ms will be labeling for gluten too.

I have a pack of plain M&Ms right here and do not see wheat listed. From what I've heard, the Mars company has a pretty good practice of labeling the 8 major allergens. Let us know what you find out, though.

OK,I have a 4.5 hour flight this week with my kids and to do without M&Ms was stressing me out so I called the 800 number instead of waiting on the email. The woman at Mars confirmed that all M&Ms except pretzel ones are gluten free. She also confirmed that some M&Ms are now being processed on the same line as the pretzel M&Ms. She said the ones that are processed with the pretzel ones will now contain the warning "may contain wheat" on the back of the package to indicate possible cc (she did say they clean between processing). If they don't contain that label, they were not processed on the pretzel line and there is no possibility of cc. She said they do not use any rye or barley in their candies, so wheat is the only concern. We are free to enjoy - just check the back if you are worried about cc. Phewf. I will still post the email response when I get it.

The response before had been that the special holiday colors might be run on the same lines as the pretzel ones. If I think of it, I will check the Easter colors to see if they say that. That may be the ones they are talking about.

Thanks for sharing this. I just had some peanut ones yesterday. :D

I'M new to this sorry if my question sounds dumb but dosent all chocolate have gluten in it?

I'M new to this sorry if my question sounds dumb but dosent all chocolate have gluten in it?

No. If it has gluten it will be listed as wheat, malt or barley malt in the ingredients.

I had decided not to eat any of them now that they make the pretzel ones, from fear of cross-contamination. If they really do label like this, it will be a relief.

Sorry - I did ask about the holiday and seasonal colors (I typed out the response and then lost it and didn't include that the second time) - she said it doesn't matter about color - they are still gluten-free as long as they aren't pretzels - all colors are made of dye/confectioners sugar/corn starch. I would feel better if I had this all in writing though.

Sorry - I did ask about the holiday and seasonal colors (I typed out the response and then lost it and didn't include that the second time) - she said it doesn't matter about color - they are still gluten-free as long as they aren't pretzels - all colors are made of dye/confectioners sugar/corn starch. I would feel better if I had this all in writing though.

It doesn't matter because they will label them with the statement if they are made on the pretzel lines.

Most chocolate DOESN'T have wheat. But some does.

richard

New bag of White Chocolate M&Ms with Easter colors state "may contain wheat" not sure if all the the former bags stated this.

Good post! I will be following this thread for updates, since M&Ms are one of the things I hoped I could hold on to (once I'm less afraid of lactose products).

Until you can "do dairy" again, try try Enjoy life chocolate chips, chunks and their Boom choca Boom bars. No dairy, soy or other allergens. Just a thought!

I got the email reply - it looks like the phone is the best place to get information from them. I gave the children M&Ms from a bag without the cc warning on our trip this week and we were fine (and believe me, my daughter would exhibit symptoms if we weren't....

In response to your email regarding M&M'S CHOCOLATE CANDIES.

Thank you for your email.

The ingredient statement on each wrapper is the best source for this information. The Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network advises consumers to rely on ingredient labels, not lists that can become outdated when products change.

Please feel free to contact us at 1-800-627-7852 if you have any specific product questions.

Have a great day!

Your Friends at Mars Chocolate North America

MM/ROBIASHL011710993A