30 replies to this topic

#16 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:59 AM

I wonder if some of the severity of the reaction might be due to other foods you consumed during the day that added to your sulfite load?

You might already be very aware of these, but just in case it's new info, foods from the Brassica family (cabbage, mustard greens, radishes, etc...), and the allium family (onions, garlic, leeks, and so on) are only a problem for folks on the more sensitive side of sulfite sensitivity, but they might have added to your sulfite load, as it were. Some other potential problem foods would be peanuts, maple syrup, eggs, grapes, vinegars, gelatin, and chocolate.

And sulfite dioxide in the exhaust from cars will also add to your sulfite load, so if you had the potatoes on a day when you were in traffic for much longer, or after a long day of driving on a freeway or standing near a busy street for a long stretch of time, that could affect things too, you know?

...as I recently found out after being around traffic all day, and then eating a dish that I had been perfectly fine with the day before. <_<

Thanks! This is very interesting - I just found out I that I can't eat radish - did not know they were high in sulphites and have had minor ptoblem with some greens I've tried. I do eat the vegies you listed as well as eggs and occasionally grapes.

The traffic comment makes some sense as well - when I ride my bike I try to avoid heavy traffic as it adds to my breathing problems - have to wear a bandana on my face when I have to take a busy road.

I will look into this some more - thanks!

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:07 AM

Hmmm, I am curious about this sulfite load concept as I recently discovered problems with onions, garlic and now potatoes; we had a roast with potatoes and my stomach bloated out right away. Didn't get the connection but the next day I had the left over roast potatoes and within a half hour my ears were ringing so loudly. This ear ringing thing has been coming and going for the past two months (it's really loud!) but I hadn't been able to associate it with anything I was eating until now. I have issues with corn so I thought that maybe it had to due with the way potatoes are treated with a corn-based spray to stop sprouting...but maybe its sulfites (?).

I completely understand your confusion. I have had no reaction to potato and had severe bloat - going to study everyones suggestions before I try them again.

Good luck on solving all these crazy puzzles ;)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#18 Sparky10

Sparky10

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:15 PM

I have also noticed that different levels of processing and cooking of potato can influence how much they effect me, but dosage, and multiple doses over time will still get me.

I have tried frying sweet potato like French fries and chips, and though this does work, the texture is different. If you want a really good crunchy potato-like chip, try making them from taro root (the white variety). I like the flavor even better than potato, and yes, taro can also be boiled, mashed, baked and so forth! It is white inside like a potato, slightly sweeter, and some say there's a hint of water chestnut-like flavor. The chips turned out with and unbeatable crunch!

Incidentally, I hope you're not cooking with virgin olive oil, but even the light olive oil cannot take the heat like other oils more suited for cooking. So there's going to be a higher level of free radical formation as the oil breaks down more. This occurs even if the oil is not heated to the smoke-point. Aside from sunflower oil, some good oils for cooking include high-oleic safflower oil, macadamia nut oil, expeller-pressed rice bran oil, grapeseed oil, and for some application you can also use coconut oil. I recall that avocado oil also has a high heat tolerance.

Totally incorrect ! Read the book 'deep nutrition' by dr cate shanahan and learn about all vegetable oils except olive oil will cause free radicals! That's the problem with forums, lay people giving advice...can be very confusing!

#19 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:00 PM

There seem to be as many different opinions about coooking oils as there are articles, books and studies done on them. Here is one article that purports to give the smoke point of all the various cooking oils and makes recommendations:

http://www.nourishin...tters-and-fats/
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#20 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:02 PM

Totally incorrect ! Read the book 'deep nutrition' by dr cate shanahan and learn about all vegetable oils except olive oil will cause free radicals! That's the problem with forums, lay people giving advice...can be very confusing!

Olive oil forms free radicals like any other unsaturated vegetable oil when it's heated. Cold-pressed virgin olive oil has some natural antioxidants that keep it from forming free radicals as long as it's not heated.

#21 Kjas

Kjas

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:40 AM

The only oils I know that are safe to heat are macadamia oil and coconut oil.

All the others, when heated past a certain point have the effect already stated. Macadamia oil can be heated to a medium - high heat without negative effects and I usually l use it in cooking, stir frying, etc since it has a nice, light and very yummy taste. Coconut oil can be heated to a very high heat without damage but I mainly use it in baked products due to the taste factor.

As far as potatoes - they are my personal arch nemesis. I don't react to any other nightshade except potato. It's to the point where I end up with a stomach ache (if it stays down) as bad or worse then the gluten stomach aches used to be. It can also affect me up to 3 days later, so personally it's not worth it. My cousin has the same problem.

#22 Nadia2009

Nadia2009

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:53 AM

Too bad I am reading this now that I switched to olive oil. I always thought olive oil wasn't good for frying and I knew that for years but have recently changed my mind because of the negative info on canola.
The only thing I fry are white potatoes and plantains and I try to keep the heat down. Would this still create free radicals?
May 2009: IgG abnormal (not tested for full panel)
Sept 2009: Negative blood tests (I was on and off gluten)
Sept 21 2009: gluten free
Sept 21 2011: gluten free for 2 full years
Dec 2012: chronic fatigue and leaky gut.
Feb 2012: IgG reactions to almond, amaranth, sesame, sunflower, dairy, eggs, beans and of course gluten.
March 2012: modified GAPS diet.

#23 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:04 PM

I fry with saturated fats, not oils. Ghee, coconut oil, lard, or tallow all hold up well when heated. Any unsaturated oil (i.e. ALL liquid vegetable oils) will create free radicals and trans-fats to some degree when heated.

#24 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:49 PM

Hmmm, I am curious about this sulfite load concept as I recently discovered problems with onions, garlic and now potatoes; we had a roast with potatoes and my stomach bloated out right away. Didn't get the connection but the next day I had the left over roast potatoes and within a half hour my ears were ringing so loudly. This ear ringing thing has been coming and going for the past two months (it's really loud!) but I hadn't been able to associate it with anything I was eating until now. I have issues with corn so I thought that maybe it had to due with the way potatoes are treated with a corn-based spray to stop sprouting...but maybe its sulfites (?).

Were these potatoes that you roasted yourself? If they are regular potatoes that you roasted, it may not be sulfur/sulfites. The sulfite issue with potatoes is typically what is added to most processed potatoes foods (it keeps them from browning) so frozen potato products, potato chips, that sort of thing. But it's not usually added to plain potatoes.

Canola oil seems to be a problem for sulfite folks, though, so if you used that particular oil on the potatoes that could be an ieeu. Also, the vast-majority of processed corn 'stuff,' like corn starch, citric acid, xanthan gum, etc... is sulfited to a certain extent. As I understand it, the corn is soaked in a solution that contains sulfites, before processing, and this has been enough to make a lot of sulfite folks have issues with processed corn or substances that come into contact with corn during the processing in some way.

I would not necessarily ever recommend this to anyone, but the way I ended up checking if I reacted to sulfites was to go to a brewery/wine making store. They sell sulfite powder (sodium sulfite or potassium sulfite, I think it usually is) there for brewers to add to their wines - it was less than $5 for a tiny bottle of the stuff, and you use very little of it. They tell how much of the powder to add to make it Xppm.

I checked online(about.com on sulfite allergies) and found out that around 50 ppm is considered a moderate amount of sulfite, and between 10-50 ppm is considered a low amount of sulfite, but a sensitive person can still react to that much. I made a 25 ppm solution of the stuff in water, did a blind taste test between that and plain water, and holy COW did it give me SUCH a massive headache.

However, I was suspecting that was my reaction, so it's not life threatening, you know?

So...easy way to test, if highly unpleasant. People with a severe reaction go to an allergist to get it tested, but might be able to do it this way at an allergist's, as well.

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#25 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:59 PM

OK this is crazy. I think I might be reacting to potato SKIN. Tater tots didn't bother me but a whole baked potato has gotten me twice. How weird is that?

#26 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:48 PM

OK this is crazy. I think I might be reacting to potato SKIN. Tater tots didn't bother me but a whole baked potato has gotten me twice. How weird is that?

I don't know what's in the skin...other than iodine.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#27 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:26 PM

I don't know what's in the skin...other than iodine.

I'm not sure but the food chemical diet I'm on says to peel them. Might be amines. I don't think I react to iodine. Seafood doesn't cause any issues.

#28 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:48 PM

I'm not sure but the food chemical diet I'm on says to peel them. Might be amines. I don't think I react to iodine. Seafood doesn't cause any issues.

Yes, the skin is not only where most of the nutrient content (other than starch) lies, but see also:

http://www.healthy-e...ns-in-food.html

You should also avoid eating potato peels. About 30% to 80% of the toxin content of a potato is in its peel.

That also happens to be where the lectins are, to repel invaders :ph34r: My worst reactions to potatoes were always when I was eating the skins.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#29 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:05 PM

That makes a lot of sense, Shroomie. I don't think lectins and autoimmunity play very nice together. :huh:

#30 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:11 PM

That makes a lot of sense, Shroomie. I don't think lectins and autoimmunity play very nice together. :huh:

I'd like to know what does play well with ai. Seriously. Because I'd schedule a play date. Like, yesterday.

Ok. I'll stop being grumpy.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: