5 replies to this topic

#1 sreese68

sreese68

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:01 AM

I dropped dairy awhile ago because I found that even lactose-free dairy was bothering me. (stomach pain and C) About a month and a half ago, I had risotto at a restaurant. I was fine. Then couple weeks later tried 1/4 cup cheddar cheese with a meal one night. Didn't work. :( Couple weeks after that, I tried a cream soup at a fancy restaurant. Only ate about half of it, but I was fine. Oh, when I tried the cheese at home, I was eating all my usual safe foods all week, so it wouldn't have been something else that caused problems.

Why would a creamy sauce/soup be OK but not cheddar cheese? Do others have this same experience? I'm going to Maggiano's in a couple of days, and I'm already thinking about what I want to order! (I don't eat out very often.)
Sharon
gluten-free March 2011
Failed gluten challenge May 2011
Diagnosed celiac 5/25/11

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 StephanieL

StephanieL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:02 PM

There are some people who can tolerate dairy if it's been heated. Many times when people have IgE allergies and go to the Dr. for a food trial they will start with baked in dairy (a cake for example) and move to "heated" dairy (like on pizza or the like) before moving to straight "on your cereal" dairy.

You could react less to things that have been heated.

#3 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:26 PM

Dairy is strange with me.

Butter, Cream in many items I cook/bake = no reaction
Cheese / Milk = can feel a bit bloated
Yogurt = no way

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#4 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:01 PM

Aged cheese and yogurt have a lot of natural amines. Cream, butter, or very fresh milk don't.

#5 sreese68

sreese68

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:56 PM

Aged cheese and yogurt have a lot of natural amines. Cream, butter, or very fresh milk don't.

That's interesting! I looked up high amines foods. I can eat dark chocolate, pecans, bananas, and mushroom, which were all listed as high or very high. So I don't think that's what I'm reacting to. But thanks for the suggestion.
Sharon
gluten-free March 2011
Diagnosed celiac 5/25/11

#6 sreese68

sreese68

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:03 PM

The suggestions about baking are interesting. I don't bake anything for myself because I can't tolerate so many grains. I'd have to bake with white rice flour and corn meal! LOL!

Anyway, if my eating out doesn't get to me, I'll try cooking something with a touch of butter and see what happens. Would love to eventually be able to eat something with heated cheese. (The cheese I ate that bothered me was cold cheese on top of a baked potato.) I miss dairy SO much! We'll see. I'm almost to my one-year anniversary, and I know it may take another year for my stomach to heal.
Sharon
gluten-free March 2011
Diagnosed celiac 5/25/11

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: