5 replies to this topic

#1 Helskore

Helskore

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:01 PM

Hi, everyone. I'm new to the forums, but I already have a question on my mind that I would like to get some input on. One of my best friends is a celiac and I'm always trying to find ways to treat her and her husband to dinner while keeping in mind to look for places with gluten-free foods. This is not about that, though. I am in the process of looking around the internet for some answers on how to make a chili without gluten. This is what my chili typically has:

Ground beef
Dark and Light red kidney beans
Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder
Tomato Sauce
Chili Seasoning

The next time I make chili, I also plan to add bacon and steamed or boiled chicken with lemon-powder seasoning.

I know the chili seasoning has gluten in it, and I want to figure out how to make a chili seasoning that is gluten-free or if there's a product out there that is gluten-free. On top of that, is there anything else out of this recipe that has gluten in it that I have missed in the ingredients? Any advice anyone can offer would be appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,636 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:59 AM

I use Williams Chili seasoning. It's just spices. There are others, too. Read the lemon seasoning ingredients.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six. ~Yogi Berra

smiley-eating-pizza-slice-emoticon.gif

#3 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,825 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:58 AM

Welcome -- It is very thoughtful of you to make your friend a gluten free meal.

We use basically the same recipe as yours...for "chili seasoning" we use a combination of Chili powder, cayenne pepper, garlic powder (or fresh garlic).

Just make sure the spices you use are gluten-free and the chili will be gluten free.

Some other things that may make the meal safe for your friend:

Thoroughly wash the pot and utensils you intend to use for the meal...even microscopic amounts of gluten left on pans, measuring cups, spoons, can opener, etc. can cause a reaction in many. Fry the meat in the same pot you scrubbed for the chili -- non-stick pans are nearly impossible to remove gluten from.

Wash your hands more often than normal while cooking and serving as there is hidden gluten in the cleanest kitchens.

If you are preparing any gluten items for the meal for the other folks, let your Celiac friend serve herself.

I couldn't tell from your post if your friend has actually eaten safely in your home before. If not she may be apprehensive -- if she hasn't eaten your gluten-free cooking before, perhaps ask her if you are willing to try, will she be willing to eat it. Many of us can not eat food prepared in other folks kitchen as the cross-contamination risk is too high.

Good Luck and thanks for being a thoughtful friend!

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#4 Weezie G

Weezie G

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:58 AM

Hi Everyone- I too am new to these formums, but I am on this website daily. It is what keeps me sane when trying to cook for my husband who was diagnosised in January 2012 with Celiac Disease. Anyway, I justed wanted to share with you some information about spices that I just recently found. The website for spices manufactured by Tones (www.Tones.com) is great. I wanted to make chili and needed a gluten free chili powder. I have other Tones spices , so I went to their website to research their chili powder. It is glutenn free. you can look up any spice you need and it plainly states wheather it is gluten free. Hopr that this helps. Thanks for all the great information in the forums.

Hi, everyone. I'm new to the forums, but I already have a question on my mind that I would like to get some input on. One of my best friends is a celiac and I'm always trying to find ways to treat her and her husband to dinner while keeping in mind to look for places with gluten-free foods. This is not about that, though. I am in the process of looking around the internet for some answers on how to make a chili without gluten. This is what my chili typically has:

Ground beef
Dark and Light red kidney beans
Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder
Tomato Sauce
Chili Seasoning

The next time I make chili, I also plan to add bacon and steamed or boiled chicken with lemon-powder seasoning.

I know the chili seasoning has gluten in it, and I want to figure out how to make a chili seasoning that is gluten-free or if there's a product out there that is gluten-free. On top of that, is there anything else out of this recipe that has gluten in it that I have missed in the ingredients? Any advice anyone can offer would be appreciated.

#5 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:49 AM

For seasoning I use chili powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, a little oregano and mustard, and -- THIS IS ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL -- cumin. Cumin must, must be in there. Some chili chefs even put it in twice, once at the beginning and then again about an hour before it's done.

Look at this page and I doubt you'll find a single cookoff recipe that doesn't include cumin.

http://www.chili.org/sdean.html

richard

#6 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:22 AM

For seasoning I use chili powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, a little oregano and mustard, and -- THIS IS ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL -- cumin. Cumin must, must be in there. Some chili chefs even put it in twice, once at the beginning and then again about an hour before it's done.

Look at this page and I doubt you'll find a single cookoff recipe that doesn't include cumin.

http://www.chili.org/sdean.html

richard

I agree! Cumin is essential.

I buy dried chiles and whole spices and grind them to make my own blends. I do not buy any seasoning blends, actually, as they all are easy to make. And fun (at least for me!). :)
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: