Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Are Grits Ok?

8 posts in this topic

I haven't been diagnosed, but I'm trying to stay away from gluten to see if it helps the stomach problems I've always had. I was wondering if grits were ok, since they're just corn? Quaker old fashioned or quick grits don't say they're gluten free, but I'm guessing that they are? :huh:

Ads by Google:

In theory they should be fine, but Quaker has reportedly been a source of serious wheat contamination in their oat products. I don't know if their corn would be affected.

Thanks! I'll try another brand then. :)

I purchase my grits (very coarse - not instant) at a Mexican store. Delicious!

In theory they should be fine, but Quaker has reportedly been a source of serious wheat contamination in their oat products. I don't know if their corn would be affected.

Peter, would you feel safe getting grits at a restaurant? What questions should I ask to see if I should feel good about eating them? Thanks very much!

I've been nervous about grain products since Tricia Thompson's study. http://www.glutenfreedietitian.com/newsletter/contamination-of-naturally-guten-free-grains/

Bob's Red Mill makes gluten-free grits. They won't cook as quick as the Quaker ones but you don't have to be nervous about them.

http://www.bobsredmill.com/gluten-free-corn-grits_polenta.html

I don't think there is any realistic way to assess whether grits in a restaurant are CC'd with wheat. It's highly unlikely they are buying from somewhere that tests for gluten. I would guess they are safe more often than not and I eat restaurant grits infrequently enough that I don't worry about them on the rare occasions I do have a serving.

Maybe one of our super-sensitive members will chime in and set us straight on restaurant grits. I don't react reliably enough to trace gluten to ever be sure.

Like Skylark, I don't react to minute traces. Here in Ontario, restaurants don't serve grits. They are mostly a dish eaten in the US South. The last time I had grits was ten years ago, in Nashville, TN. I don't recall the details of the conversaion with the server, but I had them along with bacon and fried eggs. No troubles.

Grits are a pretty simple concoction--ground corn boiled in water. I would consider them safe as a rule. I may have overstated the risk in citing Quaker products made with oats.

Thanks for the info.