This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is Cream Cheese Gluten Free?

JJO45

JJO45 Rookie

Is market pantry cream cheese gluten free? read the ingredients didnt see anything, but had a reaction this weekend just trying to pin-point the sorce.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Shouldn't be any gluten in cream cheese. Unless someone was using it on gluten bagels and got crumbs in it.

lovegrov Collaborator

Unless somebody eating gluten was also using it, I'd keep looking for another source. I've been gluten-free for more than 10 years and never found a cream cheese with gluten.

richard

curlyfries Contributor

If you really think it caused you problems, you could be having issues with dairy.

JJO45 Rookie

thanks for your help!!!!!!

xjrosie Apprentice

While cream cheese is naturally gluten free, there are some made in non-dedicated facilities, such as Philadelphia brand.

I buy the Walmart brand because it does say specifically on the package that it is gluten free. I know, small consolation, but it does make me feel better.

Lisa Mentor

While cream cheese is naturally gluten free, there are some made in non-dedicated facilities, such as Philadelphia brand.

Philadelphia Cream Cheese is manufactured by Kraft. Products of Kraft will disclose all sources of gluten will be included on the labeling.

If you have information that indicates otherwise, please post it. :) Yes? :)

Gluten free labeling in the US is totally voluntary, currently. At this point in time, learning to read a label might serve you better.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sa1937 Community Regular

I buy Philadelphia Cream Cheese and have no problem with it. Kraft is one of my favorite companies and I trust their labeling.

psawyer Proficient

I buy Philadelphia Cream Cheese and have no problem with it. Kraft is one of my favorite companies and I trust their labeling.

What she said. The "dedicated facility" is an overrated myth. Unless you can trace the origin of every single ingredient, the final production facility means nothing.

CeliacAndCfsCrusader Apprentice

Although I disagree that "dedicated facilities don't make a difference", I do agree that Kraft is one of the few companies I trust through and through.

Also, if you haven't tried it, their pre-made cheesecake filling is to die for. Make a cheesecake in 3 minutes! (I use crushed cookies, sometimes mixed and baked with fruit jam, as the base).

xjrosie Apprentice

Philadelphia Cream Cheese is manufactured by Kraft. Products of Kraft will disclose all sources of gluten will be included on the labeling.

If you have information that indicates otherwise, please post it. :) Yes? :)

Gluten free labeling in the US is totally voluntary, currently. At this point in time, learning to read a label might serve you better.

You seem to have a problem with me? Is there any particular reason you feel the need to be so confrontational all the time?

I am only repeating EXACTLY the same thing that is said in nearly all the other threads about gluten contamination. Yes, I can read labels, thank you.

As for trusting Kraft - why should I trust a company who doesn't have the best interest of my family in mind? How many products have they produced with Celiac sufferers in mind? There are other companies who do a far better job at catering to people with allergies without making their wallets suffer. I don't see Kraft putting any effort forward. They will declare all allergens on their label? I believe that's a requirement, or am I mistaken about that too?

cahill Collaborator

Although I disagree that "dedicated facilities don't make a difference", I do agree that Kraft is one of the few companies I trust through and through.

Also, if you haven't tried it, their pre-made cheesecake filling is to die for. Make a cheesecake in 3 minutes! (I use crushed cookies, sometimes mixed and baked with fruit jam, as the base).

I love this stuff wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy to much,, it does not even need a crust ( I just use a spoon :lol: )

psawyer Proficient

As for trusting Kraft - why should I trust a company who doesn't have the best interest of my family in mind? How many products have they produced with Celiac sufferers in mind? There are other companies who do a far better job at catering to people with allergies without making their wallets suffer. I don't see Kraft putting any effort forward. They will declare all allergens on their label? I believe that's a requirement, or am I mistaken about that too?

Listing the top 8 allergens identified by FALCPA is indeed required by law. That covers wheat, but not barley, rye and oats.

Kraft go beyond that, and will always disclose rye, barley and oats, even though the law does not require them to. There are a number of other companies with similar policies, including General Mills, Con Agra, and Unilever.

Lisa Mentor

You seem to have a problem with me? Is there any particular reason you feel the need to be so confrontational all the time?

I am only repeating EXACTLY the same thing that is said in nearly all the other threads about gluten contamination. Yes, I can read labels, thank you.

I think the issue of cross contamination is HIGHLY overrated. Only a small percentage of the members here are sensitive enough to be affected by miniscule amounts of cross contamination.

As Peter mentioned, Kraft is a very reliable company that will list ALL forms of gluten on their ingredient listing, which is not required by law, as only wheat is required. It doesn't get much better for those of us with Celiac Disease or gluten sensitivity.

We should applaud Kraft, not berate them!

kareng Grand Master

I think the issue of cross contamination is HIGHLY overrated. Only a small percentage of the members here are sensitive enough to be affected by miniscule amounts of cross contamination.

As Peter mentioned, Kraft is a very reliable company that will list ALL forms of gluten on their ingredient listing, which is not required by law, as only wheat is required. It doesn't get much better for those of us with Celiac Disease or gluten sensitivity.

We should applaud Kraft, not berate them!

I agree!

Also, I think we need to use some common sense. It is unlikely that crackers or bread are made in a cream cheese factory. Wheat or barley is rarely added to any dairy product. ( ice cream with cookies is an exception). Kraft makes so much cream cheese that it's likely that is all that is made in that factory. This could certainly be checked with the company at the manufacturing plant.

Just because one brand chooses to label gluten-free in the US , at this time, does not mean they test for gluten. When or if the law passes, I bet many things labelled gluten-free will no longer be labelled that way. They will not want the expense of testing. I know several locally made foods that label gluten-free but do not test for gluten. As one owner said when I asked "oh no! I don't put none of that crap in my stuff! "

IrishHeart Veteran

Hon, with all due respect, I do not think anyone is being confrontational with you. We are offering our best advice, our combined years of experience and knowledge and helping others be less worrisome while learning to negotiate the gluten free waters.

Someone asking another member for a source is not " being difficult or confrontational", but just seeking information ---should you have heard something new about a product.

None of us have ever heard of cream cheese --Philly brand or otherwise---being a CC issue. So, she asked where did you read this? that's all.

Do not take offense. I know Lisa to be a very kind & caring person who only asked you --rather nicely--- where you saw that.

I am a quick "CC responder" myself --and I eat Philly cream cheese without any problems whatsoever.

(Now that I can tolerate dairy again.)

For what that is worth. ;)

Kraft does a much better job at helping Celiacs than you are giving them credit for here.

Kind regards, IH

• 6 years later...
Suzanne Lanoue Newbie

Wow. I know this is an old thread...I can't disagree more with 2 statements made here: 1) that cross-contamination is over-rated and 2) that gluten or wheat is rarely added to dairy products aside from ice cream with cookies.

A lot of people who are sensitive to gluten, celiacs and others, get sick from cross-contamination.  There are whole brands of ice cream, like Blue Bell, that add wheat to their ice cream.

Ennis-TX Grand Master
23 minutes ago, Suzanne Lanoue said:

Wow. I know this is an old thread...I can't disagree more with 2 statements made here: 1) that cross-contamination is over-rated and 2) that gluten or wheat is rarely added to dairy products aside from ice cream with cookies.

A lot of people who are sensitive to gluten, celiacs and others, get sick from cross-contamination.  There are whole brands of ice cream, like Blue Bell, that add wheat to their ice cream.

I think the more common issue with Celiacs and dairy is even the gluten free stuff will bother many. With damaged villi we will have enzyme issues with dairy products and breaking them down leading to intolerance and other issues. Gas, bloating, diarrea, vomiting, skin break outs, all can be caused by this.

I can suggest many dairy free alternatives, cream cheese wise, Kite Hills, Miyoko creamery, and not the best but daiya all make a gluten free, dairy free cream cheese.

>.< I am also against humans consuming breast milk from other animals that is meant on a hormonal and genetic level to make say a bovine put on several hundred lbs in the beginning of its life.

• 2 years later...
Robotman2009 Newbie

It is likely cc. I tend to stay away from store brands. They tend to not care as much about CC. I also steer clear of great value brands as well....even if labeled gluten free.