15 replies to this topic

#1 JJO45

JJO45

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:26 PM

Is market pantry cream cheese gluten free? read the ingredients didnt see anything, but had a reaction this weekend just trying to pin-point the sorce.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:38 PM

Shouldn't be any gluten in cream cheese. Unless someone was using it on gluten bagels and got crumbs in it.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:37 AM

Unless somebody eating gluten was also using it, I'd keep looking for another source. I've been gluten-free for more than 10 years and never found a cream cheese with gluten.

richard

#4 curlyfries

curlyfries

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:20 PM

If you really think it caused you problems, you could be having issues with dairy.
~~Lisa~~

"The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."--Moliere

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."--Douglas Adams

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!--Amanda

gluten-free since 1/08
Posted Image

#5 JJO45

JJO45

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:45 PM

thanks for your help!!!!!!

#6 xjrosie

xjrosie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:09 PM

While cream cheese is naturally gluten free, there are some made in non-dedicated facilities, such as Philadelphia brand.

I buy the Walmart brand because it does say specifically on the package that it is gluten free. I know, small consolation, but it does make me feel better.

#7 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:18 PM

While cream cheese is naturally gluten free, there are some made in non-dedicated facilities, such as Philadelphia brand.

Philadelphia Cream Cheese is manufactured by Kraft. Products of Kraft will disclose all sources of gluten will be included on the labeling.

If you have information that indicates otherwise, please post it. :) Yes? :)

Gluten free labeling in the US is totally voluntary, currently. At this point in time, learning to read a label might serve you better.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#8 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:24 PM

I buy Philadelphia Cream Cheese and have no problem with it. Kraft is one of my favorite companies and I trust their labeling.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#9 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:31 PM

I buy Philadelphia Cream Cheese and have no problem with it. Kraft is one of my favorite companies and I trust their labeling.

What she said. The "dedicated facility" is an overrated myth. Unless you can trace the origin of every single ingredient, the final production facility means nothing.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#10 CeliacAndCfsCrusader

CeliacAndCfsCrusader

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:43 PM

Although I disagree that "dedicated facilities don't make a difference", I do agree that Kraft is one of the few companies I trust through and through.

Also, if you haven't tried it, their pre-made cheesecake filling is to die for. Make a cheesecake in 3 minutes! (I use crushed cookies, sometimes mixed and baked with fruit jam, as the base).

#11 xjrosie

xjrosie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:41 PM

Philadelphia Cream Cheese is manufactured by Kraft. Products of Kraft will disclose all sources of gluten will be included on the labeling.

If you have information that indicates otherwise, please post it. :) Yes? :)

Gluten free labeling in the US is totally voluntary, currently. At this point in time, learning to read a label might serve you better.

You seem to have a problem with me? Is there any particular reason you feel the need to be so confrontational all the time?

I am only repeating EXACTLY the same thing that is said in nearly all the other threads about gluten contamination. Yes, I can read labels, thank you.

As for trusting Kraft - why should I trust a company who doesn't have the best interest of my family in mind? How many products have they produced with Celiac sufferers in mind? There are other companies who do a far better job at catering to people with allergies without making their wallets suffer. I don't see Kraft putting any effort forward. They will declare all allergens on their label? I believe that's a requirement, or am I mistaken about that too?

#12 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:36 AM

Although I disagree that "dedicated facilities don't make a difference", I do agree that Kraft is one of the few companies I trust through and through.

Also, if you haven't tried it, their pre-made cheesecake filling is to die for. Make a cheesecake in 3 minutes! (I use crushed cookies, sometimes mixed and baked with fruit jam, as the base).

I love this stuff wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy to much,, it does not even need a crust ( I just use a spoon :lol: )

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#13 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:37 AM

As for trusting Kraft - why should I trust a company who doesn't have the best interest of my family in mind? How many products have they produced with Celiac sufferers in mind? There are other companies who do a far better job at catering to people with allergies without making their wallets suffer. I don't see Kraft putting any effort forward. They will declare all allergens on their label? I believe that's a requirement, or am I mistaken about that too?

Listing the top 8 allergens identified by FALCPA is indeed required by law. That covers wheat, but not barley, rye and oats.

Kraft go beyond that, and will always disclose rye, barley and oats, even though the law does not require them to. There are a number of other companies with similar policies, including General Mills, Con Agra, and Unilever.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#14 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:05 AM

You seem to have a problem with me? Is there any particular reason you feel the need to be so confrontational all the time?

I am only repeating EXACTLY the same thing that is said in nearly all the other threads about gluten contamination. Yes, I can read labels, thank you.

I think the issue of cross contamination is HIGHLY overrated. Only a small percentage of the members here are sensitive enough to be affected by miniscule amounts of cross contamination.

As Peter mentioned, Kraft is a very reliable company that will list ALL forms of gluten on their ingredient listing, which is not required by law, as only wheat is required. It doesn't get much better for those of us with Celiac Disease or gluten sensitivity.

We should applaud Kraft, not berate them!
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#15 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:20 AM

I think the issue of cross contamination is HIGHLY overrated. Only a small percentage of the members here are sensitive enough to be affected by miniscule amounts of cross contamination.

As Peter mentioned, Kraft is a very reliable company that will list ALL forms of gluten on their ingredient listing, which is not required by law, as only wheat is required. It doesn't get much better for those of us with Celiac Disease or gluten sensitivity.

We should applaud Kraft, not berate them!

I agree!

Also, I think we need to use some common sense. It is unlikely that crackers or bread are made in a cream cheese factory. Wheat or barley is rarely added to any dairy product. ( ice cream with cookies is an exception). Kraft makes so much cream cheese that it's likely that is all that is made in that factory. This could certainly be checked with the company at the manufacturing plant.

Just because one brand chooses to label gluten-free in the US , at this time, does not mean they test for gluten. When or if the law passes, I bet many things labelled gluten-free will no longer be labelled that way. They will not want the expense of testing. I know several locally made foods that label gluten-free but do not test for gluten. As one owner said when I asked "oh no! I don't put none of that crap in my stuff! "

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: