arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Can Those With Milk Protein Allergy Drink Kefir?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 carriej82

carriej82

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:49 PM

My 18 month old reacts to all dairy with a skin rash (eczema). Someone told me he could most likely tolerate milk fermented with kefir grains, that it changes the composition of the milk or something and most with lactose or milk protein allergies can tolerate kefir? Does anyone know anything about this? I really want to start using this in our green smoothies as a base since it is supposed to have excellent health benefits and help heal leaky gut (which I think we all have to some degree).

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 StephanieL

StephanieL

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:13 PM

I wouldn't try it. I would go for water kefir if I were doing any.

#3 stanleymonkey

stanleymonkey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:25 PM

no, if you have an allergy to milk protein, you cannot have any dairy at all, my 3 yr Oldham an anaphylactic allergy to milk, while the allergy tends to be to the protein, which is what allergy testing tests for, most with milk allergies are also allergic to the whey part
caesin is in pretty much if not all dairy, when you change the milk to cheese or yoghurt you change the proteins chain, but he milk protein chain is so large that even when changed it is still big enough for the body to recognise and attack
with kefir they ferment the lactose, but if you have a child allergic to milk protein I wouldn't even try kefir

#4 MaryJones2

MaryJones2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:02 PM

Have you had him tested to know if he's allergic, lactose intolerant or casein intolerant?

You can try So Delicious brand - it's dairy free: http://www.turtlemou...t_milk_original

Also this is a good article with a few suggestions for dairy free products: http://blog.julesglu...-sense-of-milk/

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

#5 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:31 PM

I'm casein sensitive and kefir makes me sick.

#6 carriej82

carriej82

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:10 PM

Thanks, no he's never been tested to specify which one, I just know any dairy products and he breaks out in a rash from head to toe!! Yeah, I actually fed him a smoothie with kefir before asking the question, and his skin was crystal clear that morning but 24 hours later was inflamed the worst I've seen in awhile. Drats. I was seriously misinformed, now I know!!

I will have to try water kefir or grow it in rice milk next time. What do you guys use to heal the intestine then, other probiotics?

#7 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,618 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:20 PM

Don't they make yogurt from coconut? Maybe some other things? I don't have a dairy problem so it didn't register.

Edited to add:
This company makes the best "ice cream". I will try the yogurt.

http://www.turtlemou...yogurt_cm_plain

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six. ~Yogi Berra

smiley-eating-pizza-slice-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: