Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Can Those With Milk Protein Allergy Drink Kefir?

7 posts in this topic

My 18 month old reacts to all dairy with a skin rash (eczema). Someone told me he could most likely tolerate milk fermented with kefir grains, that it changes the composition of the milk or something and most with lactose or milk protein allergies can tolerate kefir? Does anyone know anything about this? I really want to start using this in our green smoothies as a base since it is supposed to have excellent health benefits and help heal leaky gut (which I think we all have to some degree).

Thanks!

Ads by Google:

I wouldn't try it. I would go for water kefir if I were doing any.

no, if you have an allergy to milk protein, you cannot have any dairy at all, my 3 yr Oldham an anaphylactic allergy to milk, while the allergy tends to be to the protein, which is what allergy testing tests for, most with milk allergies are also allergic to the whey part

caesin is in pretty much if not all dairy, when you change the milk to cheese or yoghurt you change the proteins chain, but he milk protein chain is so large that even when changed it is still big enough for the body to recognise and attack

with kefir they ferment the lactose, but if you have a child allergic to milk protein I wouldn't even try kefir

Have you had him tested to know if he's allergic, lactose intolerant or casein intolerant?

You can try So Delicious brand - it's dairy free: http://www.turtlemountain.com/products/product.php?p=so_delicious_cultured_coconut_milk_original

Also this is a good article with a few suggestions for dairy free products: http://blog.julesglutenfree.com/2011/01/milk-protein-allergy-lactose-intolerance-casein-free-making-sense-of-milk/

I'm casein sensitive and kefir makes me sick.

Thanks, no he's never been tested to specify which one, I just know any dairy products and he breaks out in a rash from head to toe!! Yeah, I actually fed him a smoothie with kefir before asking the question, and his skin was crystal clear that morning but 24 hours later was inflamed the worst I've seen in awhile. Drats. I was seriously misinformed, now I know!!

I will have to try water kefir or grow it in rice milk next time. What do you guys use to heal the intestine then, other probiotics?

Don't they make yogurt from coconut? Maybe some other things? I don't have a dairy problem so it didn't register.

Edited to add:

This company makes the best "ice cream". I will try the yogurt.

http://www.turtlemountain.com/products/product.php?p=so_delicious_yogurt_cm_plain