#1 lorka150

lorka150

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 04:52 PM

Hey everyone,

Since realizing this summer that I have celiac disease, it's been tough, and my energy levels started hitting all time lows. When I stopped eating as much gluten, I got some energy back, and then when I went gluten-free, more came back. However, I am clearly lacking the energy to fuel my bod.

Most of the allowed grains for celiacs I have allergies to. I eat good servings of proteins and get tonnes of good carbohydrates through a ridiculous amount of veggies and fruit.

I am wondering if I should incorporate an actual bar/drink something energy related, because perhaps I am lacking in other things? I am not sure if I can find gluten-free products that I can have (because of the allergies too), but does anyone have any thoughts? I realize things like peanut butter and stuff will give me energy, but I'm thinking about all the other nutrients added to these products.

Thanks!
Gluten-free, Vegan

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nogluten!

nogluten!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 07:49 PM

http://www.glutenfreemall.com/ and many other gluten free on-line stores have search engines that let you enter which items you want to avoid. This can help narrow down the search. Can you have milk protein (casein)? If so, Boost Breezes are good and give energy. I'm unable to continue them due to the casein, but they are good and give energy. Ensure also provides a lot of vitamins with limited allergens. Red Bull Energy Drinks are gluten free too, I think. Hope that helps some. Good luck.
Every day is a blessing.

#3 aaascr

aaascr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 09:12 AM

I too, exercise everyday and have multiple food allergies along with
celiac disease. What I have found so far: Blue Sky's Blue Energy is gluten-free for
an energy drink. I use a sublingual B complex - B Total made by
Neutraceutical Solutions - also gluten-free, this helps me from "crashing"
which was a problem when I returned to my routine.
The only protein that I haven't reacted badly to is Shelled Hemp Seed -
I use Nutiva's though there are several brands around.
When I can tolerate it - I eat Nutiva's Hemp Seed Bar for an
extra boost. I am still searching for helpful food items
- but I find that a balanced diet while paying attention
to my activity level has worked mostly so far.
You didn't say which food allergies you have, there
may be more choices for you as mine are extremely
limited.
alicia
been gluten-free 4 yrs.
too many food allergies to list!

#4 Guest_gfinnebraska_*

Guest_gfinnebraska_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2005 - 06:51 AM

I exercise daily, and, yes, sometimes energy is an issue. I work all day... cook, clean... you get the picture. Some days I need a quick 10 min. snooze to be able to keep going. That is what works for me! :) I do take liquid vitamins ~ that helps as well. The exercise actually helps me get more energy for the rest of the evening, so it is well worth it.

#5 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 07:50 AM

What vitamins do you take? and what do they specifically help you with?
Gluten-free, Vegan

#6 Guest_gfinnebraska_*

Guest_gfinnebraska_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2005 - 05:41 AM

I take a liquid B-12 and a mulitivitamin liquid for women over 40... :) I can't rememeber the link to the site (it is at work), but you can "google" liquid vitamins and go from there! The brand I use is: Luiquid Health ~ their web site is:
http://www.liquidhealthinc.com

Hope that helps!!

#7 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 08:48 AM

I've been drinking a lot of blueberry smoothies lately and find that they give me extra energy. This is how I make them:

1 cup frozen blueberries
1-2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 - 1 1/2 cups So Good Vanilla Soy milk
1 small banana (optional)
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#8 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 11:28 AM

CoQ10 is supposed to be helpful for energy. I'm taking it - on the recommendation of my doctor - as a migraine preventative, but think it's made an energy difference as well. (I take it along with my regular calcium/magnesium/vitD, B-50, and multi.)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#9 bluelotus

bluelotus

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 01:05 PM

I work out daily as well. I began eating more animal protein (and try to stay away from beef and pork for most meals, just b/c of fat). This has seemed to help. I wanted to start drinking a protein shake, but don't have the guts or the heart to contact these companies - I just know none are safe!
The temple bell stops
but the sound keeps coming
out of the flowers
-Zen Haiku Master Basho

#10 Claire

Claire

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 01:50 PM

Just another vote for CoQ10 - 200-400 mg per day. Claire

#11 mytummyhurts

mytummyhurts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 10:24 PM

Have you had blood work done to see if you are deficient in vitamins? Low B12 causes problems with energy. Amongst other more serious problems. A multi-vitamin won't help much until your intestines are fully healed which often takes many months as you won't absorb it very well. Shots or sublingual tablets are better.

#12 LLCoolJD

LLCoolJD

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 07:50 PM

I've not read through the other replies, but here's my advice:

-Get tests done to determine whether you have nutrient deficiencies. Anemia being the key one to check for. If you do have anemia, then some iron ought to help things.

-'Think Thin' is an energy/protein bar you can get here in the United States. At Wal-Mart, they sell for about $1.50 per bar, which isn't bad, because they're the highlight of my day, food-wise. Gluten-free, of course. They go great with my morning coffee. Packed with protein and a host of nutrients. Very good stuff, and my recommendation if you're considering a daily energy bar (try the peanut butter crunch.... oh yeah ;) ).

- I take a number of supplements: L-glutamine, Selenium, Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc, and a Multivitamin. The Selenium and Zinc are a couple that I'll probably phase out of using, but the others I plan on sticking with. If there's only one of these that you should take, it's definitely the multivitamin. Centrum is gluten-free.

- I also take Lactobacillus probiotic tablets with my big meals. I feel better when taking these everyday. It may just be psychosomatic, but some reports state that they help with the leaky gut suffered by those with Celiac disease. Who knows. They're cheap, and harmless at worst, and beneficial at best.

I'm not always energetic (who is?), but I find that plenty of sleep, plenty of food, and the supplements to my diet listed above help keep my energy high. Since going gluten-free and learning the ropes of the lifestyle, things have gotten better in the gym, and I'm much stronger than I was when chowing down on high-calorie, gluten-rich foods.

#13 lemonade

lemonade

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 09:18 AM

I've been drinking a lot of blueberry smoothies lately and find that they give me extra energy. This is how I make them:

1 cup frozen blueberries
1-2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 - 1 1/2 cups So Good Vanilla Soy milk
1 small banana (optional)

Carriefaith,
i was wondering, what type of vanilla do you use?

L
Lemonade[size=5][font=Century Gothic]

#14 VegasCeliacBuckeye

VegasCeliacBuckeye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 09:21 AM

I work out in the morning and drink an Ensure at Mid-day (+ 1 Granny Smith Apple) and my energy level is ok (until around 8 or so)

#15 watkinson

watkinson

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 10:16 AM

Hi,
Have you had your thyroid checked? If your hypothyroid that could be the reason. Even if you are in the low levels of normal it can zap you're energy. Try taking tyroid aid vitamins. I get mine at Whole foods. Check the label for the gluten-free kind. My hands and feet are always like ice cicles. These vitamins seem to help that. I've also noticed less pain in my legs when I run. :)

I also take Omega-3 fatty acids. (fish oil, walnuts, flax seed). They seem to help with everything. Energy, clearer thinking, joint pain, even my hair is softer. :)

Wendy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: