9 replies to this topic

#1 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:19 AM

I am as sensitive to corn as I am gluten. With that said, I was glutened by cc almost 2 weeks ago. I still have gas, pain and some bloating etc. I took Pepto a few times and some Motrin for the pain. I know that they have corn in them but I needed some relief! Now I am left with digestive issues and severe joint pain in my hands and cold sores from the corn reaction.

What can we take for pain when we just have to have something?

There is corn in everything!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:42 AM

Before I realized that I am intolerant to aspirin I found BC Aspirin Powder. It worked really well for pain until it made me even sicker. :blink: It was the ONLY pain reliever I found that didn't contain either gluten or corn.

I wound up having to get a prescription for Tylenol made at a compounding pharmacy. $35 for 200 capsules, and believe me, they are well worth it!

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#3 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:51 AM

On cornallergens.com, she says that Aleve is corn free. I haven't looked recently to see if that's still the case, and I'm not sure how long she's had that information up, but it might be worth a look, anyway.

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#4 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:15 AM

But they warn that because they also process gluten, it may be cross contaminated.

#5 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:18 AM

Before I realized that I am intolerant to aspirin I found BC Aspirin Powder. It worked really well for pain until it made me even sicker. :blink: It was the ONLY pain reliever I found that didn't contain either gluten or corn.

I wound up having to get a prescription for Tylenol made at a compounding pharmacy. $35 for 200 capsules, and believe me, they are well worth it!

I am going to have to check into this. Thanks. I wonder if there is anything homeopathic that we can use?!

#6 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:18 AM

But they warn that because they also process gluten, it may be cross contaminated.

Lovely.....

#7 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:23 AM

I just wanted to say that I tried Aleve which is corn free and I had no reactions to it at all.

#8 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:33 PM

I just wanted to say that I tried Aleve which is corn free and I had no reactions to it at all.

Thanks for that info! I am almost out of my specially made Tylenol. Although I only tried Aleve once, long before any food intolerances hit and it didn't do much for my headache, I will try it again. Tylenol never did much for me either so what difference would it make? I WISH I could get ibuprophen, but it is too close to aspirin which I react to badly.

#9 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:17 PM

Thanks for that info! I am almost out of my specially made Tylenol. Although I only tried Aleve once, long before any food intolerances hit and it didn't do much for my headache, I will try it again. Tylenol never did much for me either so what difference would it make? I WISH I could get ibuprophen, but it is too close to aspirin which I react to badly.

I did have some DH problems but it's def. not corn or gluten related from the Aleve or I would be having bad intestinal problems. If you react to sals, you might get some DH flare up's from it. I really react with skin eruptions from sals.
I was in pretty bad pain so I took it twice over a few days. Sometimes we have to pick our battles ya know! Aleve took care of my pain in about 20 min and it's been gone since last night but this afternoon I noticed some DH flaring on my face. You should be good to go as far as corn goes though.

#10 cait

cait

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:06 AM

I got ibuprofen from a compounding pharmacy because I needed something I could take for headaches when CCd without making things worse. Well worth it. I've always had a kind of iffy relationship with aleve, so have been avoiding it, especially after reading the warnings that it may contain gluten.
Dad has Celiac
Neg Celiac tests, positive gene test
Life vastly improved off gluten
Dunno what that makes me, but I'm not going back.
Now corn, soy, and dairy free

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: