5 replies to this topic

#1 CHOUSE5126

CHOUSE5126

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:02 AM

So I am trying to deal with my celiac. I am usually pretty careful and good about what I eat. However when I do get "glutened" the reaction can be mild or super harsh!! I am just trying to get a rough idea of how long on average reactions tend to last.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Metoo

Metoo

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:06 AM

So I am trying to deal with my celiac. I am usually pretty careful and good about what I eat. However when I do get "glutened" the reaction can be mild or super harsh!! I am just trying to get a rough idea of how long on average reactions tend to last.

I tend to have a skin reaction now. My last one lasted 5 weeks. I so far haven't been glutened since then.

#3 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:43 PM

It's hard to answer your question because there are so many variables. Your own reaction changes each time. It depends on how much gluten you ingested, how much damage/inflamation you have in your system, hormones, and a variety of other things.
You could have a reaction that lasts hours, days, or weeks. All would be considered "normal" reactions.

Generally, as time goes on without gluten getting into your system, your "fighting cells" rest up and are ready to wage war on any gluten that does gets in. Your reaction would be stronger.

#4 Molly Susan

Molly Susan

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:58 PM

My reactions tend to last around 6 days, first the digestive /pain starts then the sleeplessness and the anxiety/irritablity, then the fatigue sets in. Lastly I usually get a rash (DH on my body)with the itch of coarse.
Diagnosed with Celiac via positive blood work in February 2011. Symptoms presented themselves after the birth of my daughter 7 years ago.

#5 Gfresh404

Gfresh404

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:17 PM

This is going to vary greatly depending on the person. But I feel significantly shitty for about 36 - 48 hours. And return to 100% normalcy after about a week

#6 rgarton

rgarton

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:28 AM

My reactions last 3 and a half weeks I'm sorry to tell you. It starts with pain, a very specific place on my abdomen, my eyes feel heavy, almost feel i could sleep anywhere, like i'm dragging my body around. My sinus's and post nasal drip go insane like I've stepped into all the allergens in the world and inhaled. I get slightly constipated and then the other extreme with cramping, headaches, backache. This goes on for a week and a half (The gastro problems) and then the headaches, backaches, brain fog, dead body, sleepiness, emotional rollercoaster stuff lasts for three and a half weeks.

I'm sure it won't last as long for you, i'm insanely sensitive, and still recovering after a year and a bit too.
Lifes not waiting for the storm to pass, its learning to dance in the rain...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: