31 replies to this topic

#16 Cara in Boston

Cara in Boston

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:35 AM

I would also suggest asking your doctor to give you a blood test to see how you are doing on the diet. If your numbers are elevated, then you will know you have been getting gluten from somewhere. My son has very few symptoms so we rely on periodic blood tests to see if we are doing everything right.

If your numbers are up, that will back up your complaint to the youth leader.

I'm pretty sure I've read of local cases where kids have been prosecuted for knowingly tampering with an allergic classmates food - it is a big deal and more than just a prank.

Cara

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Strawberry_Jam

Strawberry_Jam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:47 AM

I have to make a confession. If I were you, after hearing all that from them, I would have taken a piece of cake. I'd have taken it and smushed it in one of their faces and walked off. But don't be like me. The last thing you want to do is sink to their level.

Keep your food safe, your friends close, and treat these people as what they are: your enemies. They are actively trying to hurt you. We're called to love our enemies, but we're not called to trust them.

Don't call them your friends. They aren't.

Perhaps you need to stop spending time with them. I mean, SERIOUS cold-shoulder. If they realise what absolute donkeys they are, they'll apologise and come back to you. If they don't, then you've relieved yourself of their company. win-win for you.
gluten-free 25 Feb 2011
soy-free 30 March 2011

dairy-free 30 August 2011 (roughly)

22 yrs old
diagnosed Celiac through biopsy and blood test (WAY positive) as of 25 Feb 2011

#18 Victoria6102

Victoria6102

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:29 AM

I don't wish to leave my youth group, or get anyone kicked out or sue my youth pastor! Lol And I most definitely don't want to give Christians a bad name.....they aren't doing it because they are a Christian, they just happen to be Christians who are doing it....thank you all for your support and advice! To the peanut allergy thing....I actually have a friend who has a severe peanut allergy, she goes to a different church. Two friends at my church told me a couple months ago that they didn't believe her so they ate peanut butter and rubbed it on their hands then went over and shook her hand and never told her that they had peanuts. I thought that was absolutely cruel! I didn't hear what happened to her but I know she is allergic to peanuts so i know she must have had some kind of reaction....that started to scare me that someone would "poison" me and with all the comments now I'm starting to believe they would! I think with all of your advice about sealing, my food will be safe....also those 2 people who were cruel to the peanut allergic girl are not going in this trip so that comforts me a little. Like I said, I don't plan on getting anyone sued or kicked out but I will definitely talk to my youth pastor before we leave! :) thank you all for caring and being supportive!:)

#19 Ninja

Ninja

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:59 AM

To be totally honest: you need to decide what it will take to keep your body safe from these people (who to talk to, not going, etc). Believe me, I am definitely someone that doesn't like to make a big fuss about things but this is a big deal! In the long run they don't matter, but your health does!

Have you tried asking them why they care? Have their lives reduced to making fun of someone with a serious autoimmune disease? These people don't deserve your patience or kindness.

~Laura :)

Gluten Free 2/12 

Let the soul speak with the silent articulation of a face

~Rumi

#20 Strawberry_Jam

Strawberry_Jam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:03 AM

they could have killed the peanut butter-allergic girl.

they could have been murderers.

kids. it's all fun and games till someone gets hurt...
gluten-free 25 Feb 2011
soy-free 30 March 2011

dairy-free 30 August 2011 (roughly)

22 yrs old
diagnosed Celiac through biopsy and blood test (WAY positive) as of 25 Feb 2011

#21 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,447 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:55 AM

And I most definitely don't want to give Christians a bad name.....they aren't doing it because they are a Christian, they just happen to be Christians who are doing it....

Like I said, I don't plan on getting anyone sued or kicked out but I will definitely talk to my youth pastor before we leave! :) thank you all for caring and being supportive!:)

No one thinks you are "giving Christians a bad name", honey.
We are appalled that these young Christians are behaving in an un-Christ- like manner.
Messing around with someone's food and causing a life-threatening situation is serious. Making someone else feel threatened and bullied is not Christian in any sense of the word.

You and your parents ( and you do not answer us when we ask if your parents know about this, so I wonder if you have even told them) should talk to the the pastor NOW so he can inform the kids and the parents of these kids BEFORE the trip that he knows what they have been up to and that this behavior is not only dangerous, but cruel and will not be tolerated.

It is nice of you to not want to cause others any trouble, but to do this at your own expense is unwise.
Why make yourself sick with worry? Take care of it now.
IMHO

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#22 Victoria6102

Victoria6102

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:09 AM

Tonight at church I plan on talking to my youth pastor. I feel like I'm making a big deal out of nothing, what I'd they weren't really going to put gluten in my food but just talked about it?! I mean of course I can't know if they're serious or not. But if they aren't it's all going to fall back on me like " look there's victoria trying to get attention and exaggerate again" although I dont try to get attention or exaggerate....I'm just maybe too worried about what other people think. I get made fun of a lot. People say " oh sorry I was just joking" but I know they're not! The girl who is talking the most about glutening me isn't going on this trip but 2 of the people who talk about it with her are going! So anyways hope that all made sense!

#23 Victoria6102

Victoria6102

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:11 AM

And I had talked to my parents before, they helped me take care of it. I haven't talked to them recently about the kids talking about glutening my food. Sorry I didn't intentionally ignore the question!

#24 Ninja

Ninja

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:47 AM

Please don't let them make you feel like you are making a big deal out of nothing! It's not you, it's them. If they were put in your situation I'm sure they would feel very differently. The idea is that you cannot trust them even if they maybe decide not to tamper with your food/stuff. You need to be able to trust that your stuff will stay safe... especially since you are going on a trip away from home. There's got to be enough trust there to keep you safe.

If you feel comfortable maybe you could speak with your pastor and have him point blankly explain to these people how serious Celiac Disease is and can be. Talk to the pastor in private with your parents maybe?

Good luck — you are doing all the right things and you aren't making a big deal out of nothing!
~Laura :)

Gluten Free 2/12 

Let the soul speak with the silent articulation of a face

~Rumi

#25 xjrosie

xjrosie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:12 PM

What disturbs me the most is.... this is a RELIGIOUS youth group??
No evidence of "loving kindness for your neighbors" here :rolleyes:

You shouldn't feel scared to be with "friends". You shouldn't have to worry that they are poisoning you while you sleep. And you really shouldn't have to put your food under lock and key. That's just nuts.

Where is the youth minister in all this? :angry:
He should put a stop to this baloney right now.
And dismiss the bullies from the group.

Sorry, sweetie, but it seems to me that you need to find a better group of friends.

THANK YOU!! That's exactly what I was thinking. The youth pastor should be talking to the parents of the kids who are causing you trouble. Anyone causing trouble should not have the privilege of taking outings with a Christian-centered group. It's like rewarding bad behavior, especially when it continues after the youth pastor has talked to the offending group of kids.

When you seal your food, make sure your tape doesn't overlap perfectly. Then sign and date the tape over the overlap. If they manage to get the tape off, they won't be able to align the signature back up, and you will know if they messed with it. I am suggesting this because duct tape does actually come off pretty easy if you give it the right yank. And, you can use plastic containers with duct tape if you choose.

#26 Googles

Googles

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:16 PM

You need to get your parents involved. You need to tell them about your fears about them putting gluten in your food. This is not a small issue. This is a BIG issue. The exposure to gluten causes your risk of long term consequences to increase. While the reaction to gluten isn't as fast acting as peanuts (and unless there is an allergy on top of the celiac) will not cause anaphalaxis, it doesn't mean it is any less important. Tell your parents. It is your parent's job to help protect you. I know it can be hard for teenagers to ask for help from their parents, but you need their help. This situation has gotten out of hand. Don't only talk to the youth minister, talk to your parents.

#27 kareng

kareng

Yum!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,852 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:36 PM

THANK YOU!! That's exactly what I was thinking. The youth pastor should be talking to the parents of the kids who are causing you trouble. Anyone causing trouble should not have the privilege of taking outings with a Christian-centered group. It's like rewarding bad behavior, especially when it continues after the youth pastor has talked to the offending group of kids.

When you seal your food, make sure your tape doesn't overlap perfectly. Then sign and date the tape over the overlap. If they manage to get the tape off, they won't be able to align the signature back up, and you will know if they messed with it. I am suggesting this because duct tape does actually come off pretty easy if you give it the right yank. And, you can use plastic containers with duct tape if you choose.

Good idea on the signing the tape overlaps! Why did my sneaky mind not think of that! And if you wrap the tape around the container a few times & different directions .I would think it would be hard to get it back on the same without bubbles, gaps, wrinkles, etc.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

5 out of 4 people struggle with math.

math-problem-smiley-emoticon.gif

#28 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:31 PM

I know that despite teaching your child right from wrong it is ultimately up to them how they act when they are not with you. I hope my children would know better and would act appropriately , but there's no guarantee. If my children even thought of doing something like this to another person they would regret it big time!! As some of the other posters have stated already, what they are doing is dangerous and not to be taken lightly.

Have you ever considered attending another youth group perhaps? It doesn't sound like things have changed much since your posts last year.

I hope you can find something that works for you and also get the attention this matter deserves from the appropriate people.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#29 Victoria6102

Victoria6102

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:00 PM

Ok, I am back from my trip! I made many precautions to make sure I wouldn't get glutened! I found out on this trip that the reason everyone had been talking about glutening my food lately is because my sister put flour in my pasta sauce a year ago, but I just found out now! I was so upset. My sister told me this, and then one of my friends said "I dont think you are really as sick as you think you are Victoria, and neither does anyone else." We proceeded to have a long discussion and finally I said I am not going to argue about this anymore cuz I've already told you the truth so whether or not you believe me is up to you! She later apologized but that doesn't mean she still doesn't think that. Know what I mean? Anyway, noone glutened me on the trip. I came home safe and sound and I hope everything will be ok from now on.

#30 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:13 PM

I'm glad to hear your trip went well.

Your friends, and I use the word loosely, don't understand that even if you don't have an obvious reaction to gluten there is autoimmune damage being done. Remember that true friends are the ones who respect what you say. A real friend will go to great lengths to make sure you have safe food, even if eating gluten once doesn't make you obviously sick every single time it happens.

You also need to let your parents know your sister poisoned you. You may need help making sure it won't happen again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: