This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pulsatile Tinnitus & Headaches

pondy

pondy Contributor

Hi Everyone,

I'm having some strange things going on... Since Feb. 10th I've had a headache that comes & goes - but it came on like a freight train - sudden & really severe & with blurred vision. It was the worst ever! It lasted 5 full days! Since then, the headaches have been daily & intermittent.

I've been irritated by hearing my heartbeat - loud & pounding - in my right ear. I believe it's called "pulsatile tinnitus". It's worse at night while I'm lying down. Movement does not

seem to matter..

I've not ingested gluten - as far as I know. I'm dairy free, soy free. I had an MRI - normal except for a calcified mass on my scalp/skull which the neurosurgeon is going to remove. I go to physical therapy for neck and shoulder tension.

I'm stumped about the ear thing ( the headaches too, as I'm not prone to them). Has anyone here experienced anything like this? I have an appoinent with my regular doctor on Monday - just wondering if anyone has any insight as to what tests I might request.

Thanks for any & all input!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Pondy,

I am sorry to hear this, hon because I know you have overcome so much the last few months.

I have suffered tinnitis and loud buzzing inside my head (yes, just like a roaring freight train sometimes :( ) but I confess that it is much less intense since DX and being gluten-free. My headaches come and go ---but again, they are less, so I am happy about that. As you know, I also go to PT 2X a week for neck/back etc, pain and dysfunction.

so, I am not sure why you are suffering this now and with such intensity--- especially since your MRI was done and reveals nothing except the calcification?

Could it be related to that?? Perhaps this is a question for the Neuro, I think?

pondy Contributor

Thanks Irish Heart! I'm glad your tinnitus & headaches have lightened up!

The neurosurgeon was uninterested in my symptoms... he recommended a neurologist and possibly an ENT. For either one, I need a referral from my primary - which maybe I can get on Monday. I don't know... maybe it is related to the weird lump on my skull. Ugh!

I thought that maybe a vitamin or mineral deficiency could be a contributing factor - something with an easy fix!

UKGail Rookie

Pondy

You should definitely go back to your primary doctor about this. There is an autoimmune condition called temporal arteritis which is basically inflammation in the blood vessels supplying the head. It can give you headaches, blur your vision and can affect your hearing, plus other symptoms. It is treated with steroids.

Whilst your symptoms are probably not caused by this, it is best to be safe with any sudden onset of severe headache and vision blurring to make sure by medical review. If left untreated this condition can cause permanent damage.

Open Original Shared Link

I hope it resolves soon.

Best wishes

pondy Contributor

UKGail,

Thanks for the information & the link! I will mention this condition to my doctor.

Much appreciated!

IrishHeart Veteran

The neurosurgeon was uninterested in my symptoms... he recommended a neurologist and possibly an ENT. For either one, I need a referral from my primary - which maybe I can get on Monday.

UGH! This is the problem in our country. Everyone has a sub-specialty and we get sent here and there. It is maddening.

I thought I had temporal arteritis myself (I thought I had every damn thing under the sun--as you can tell--because I had so many horrid symptoms and no one could tell me why)

If UKGail is right, you definitely need to have that looked at right away.

The good news is--it is treatable and curable.

Hope you get answers right away.

I know your road has been difficult and you just got your gut straightened out.

There is nothing worse than debilitating headaches. <_<

All the best,

IH

Archived