3 replies to this topic

#1 Joe g 81

Joe g 81

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:01 PM

Does anyone know of any gluten free weight gainers? or a good suplement to take for additional protein. I recently self diagnosed myself with celiac, and im used to eating whatever i wanted, which included alot of bread. But the diet is causing me to lose weight, which isn't good since im already skinny. So I guess im looking for some guidance on how to put on some pounds.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:54 AM

You have to add good fats..like Olive oil,nuts, avacados, and coconut oil. If you're eating mainly fruit, veggies, and meats it's hard to get enough calories.
If you tolerate dairy, cheese is good for adding calories too.

#3 TeknoLen

TeknoLen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:19 AM

You might consider eating more of the gluten-free grains also, such as rice, quinoa, amaranth, etc, assuming your system can tolerate them and assuming you can control for CC. Something else that has helped me get comfortable in my new "underweight" body is calculating my BMI. Although I am now also quite thin (by Western civilization standards), my BMI is in the "healthy" range. Knowing that my risk of metabolic syndrome diseases is much lower as a result is some comfort...
  • self-dx gluten-sensitive 2007 but did not take it seriously
  • dx autoimmune Graves hyperthyroidism 9-7-11
  • second opinion doctor confirmed autoimmune hyperthyroid dx, suggested possible autoimmune thyroid-gluten sensitivity connection
  • medication-induced hyperthyroid remission 11-4-11
  • lab test dx gluten, casein, ovalbumin, and soy sensitive 12-15-11
  • taking diet seriously now, strict GFCFSF diet...

#4 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:23 AM

You might consider eating more of the gluten-free grains also, such as rice, quinoa, amaranth, etc, assuming your system can tolerate them and assuming you can control for CC. Something else that has helped me get comfortable in my new "underweight" body is calculating my BMI. Although I am now also quite thin (by Western civilization standards), my BMI is in the "healthy" range. Knowing that my risk of metabolic syndrome diseases is much lower as a result is some comfort...

This is good advice! I weight train and let me tell ya......I have had to go back to eating more grains and bread because it's the grains and bread that make people gain weight, not meat, veggies and fats. When you exercise, you are just burning it all off.
Carbs put the pounds on. Although I have to admit, I can eat anything and everything because of the weight training. Best way to ramp up your metabolism!

I have no trouble finding safe gluten-free bread and grains that are not contaminated, either. I have not reacted to food in a long time and my antibody levels are really good so I am comfortable with that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: