20 replies to this topic

#1 dani nero

dani nero

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:16 PM

Yesterday was the first day of 2012 which I cycled as the snow has melted away :-) It went great, the whether was nice and I really enjoyed it because paddling was not a challenge. I know however that if I keep on cycling.. let's say one-hour rides once every two days, I will be getting weaker and weaker until I'm not able to push on the paddles anymore (by the middle of week 2), and cycling even on straight roads will become a struggle, as if the bicycle is refusing to move forward. I would then stop cycling all together for more than a week or two. After that I notice that my bicycle can be pushed forward with ease again.

From what I know, the more one exercises the stronger they get. So obviously I'm either lacking supplements or not stretching enough. Anyone else have this problem, and how did you solve it?
Self diagnosed January 2012, and on elimination, low-salicylate & low-iodine diet.
Also G6PD

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:25 PM

Have you had this checked out by a doctor? Yes, your muscles SHOULD get stronger. Muscles that become weak from exercise can indicate a number of illnesses that are NOT related to celiac. Many people with celiac develop other auto-immune diseases....so if you haven't had this particular problem evaluated, I would highly recommend that you do so. This could be a serious matter.

Alternatively, you may have either pernicious anemia or iron anemia, which would exhaust your muscles because they're not getting enough oxygen. Have you been tested for low Vitamin B-12 and iron? If not, this would be a good place to start.

#3 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:23 PM

Being hypothyroid does that to me. I don't recover from exercise properly.

#4 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:16 PM

Thanks both of you for the input. I haven't been checked yet, still waiting for appointment, but I did have thyroid checked two years ago I think, and it was fine. I would say it might be b12 / iron since I'm getting these sores at the corners of mouth.
I got myself some all-round supplements a few days ago. It was all the pharmacist could provide until I see the doc.
Self diagnosed January 2012, and on elimination, low-salicylate & low-iodine diet.
Also G6PD

#5 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:59 PM

It's quite possible that you're unable to absorb supplements right now, so you may find that the supplement the pharmacist gave you won't help at all. For some of us, we need to get our iron intravenously and either B-12 injections or sublingual tablets. The sublingual tablets are really inexpensive, so you might just try picking some up. If it's a B-12 problem, you'll see almost immediate improvement.

#6 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:35 AM

It's quite possible that you're unable to absorb supplements right now, so you may find that the supplement the pharmacist gave you won't help at all. For some of us, we need to get our iron intravenously and either B-12 injections or sublingual tablets. The sublingual tablets are really inexpensive, so you might just try picking some up. If it's a B-12 problem, you'll see almost immediate improvement.

Thanks for your advice Rosetapper xoxo :-)
Also G6PD

#7 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:49 PM

You're welcome! But, please, see a doctor if you can--the muscle weakness you describe is very worrisome.

#8 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:13 PM

Hey, you're not on a cholesterol-lowering drug are you?

#9 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:13 PM

I will see a doctor. It can take a while as the health-care here is as fast as a turtle unless someone is dying.

Nope, I don't take any drugs. The only thing I used to take was birth-control for the amenorrhea which I stopped two months ago.
Also G6PD

#10 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:23 PM

I'm sorry to hear that it takes so long to see a doctor. When you attempt to get an appointment, please stress that you're experiencing muscle weakness upon exertion that worsens the more you exercise. Hopefully, they'll wake up and schedule an appointment soon.

Good luck! And please let us know what happens, okay?

#11 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:43 AM

I'm sorry to hear that it takes so long to see a doctor. When you attempt to get an appointment, please stress that you're experiencing muscle weakness upon exertion that worsens the more you exercise. Hopefully, they'll wake up and schedule an appointment soon.

Good luck! And please let us know what happens, okay?

Thanks for the support, and will let you know :-) Xoxoxoxo
Also G6PD

#12 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

A new question popped i my head, for anyone with experience in this.. whether it's my thyroid or lack of iron/b12.. should I be taking easy when I'm experiencing muscle fatigue or can I go on doing as I please on my bicycle :-D
Also G6PD

#13 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:32 PM

Listen to your body--stop!

#14 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:57 AM

A new question popped i my head, for anyone with experience in this.. whether it's my thyroid or lack of iron/b12.. should I be taking easy when I'm experiencing muscle fatigue or can I go on doing as I please on my bicycle :-D

I don't know. I think that's a question for your doctor. :unsure: One thing to keep in mind is that sports injuries are much more common when people are extremely fatigued.

#15 Mateto

Mateto

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:10 PM

I can understand the healthcare being slow. It's a pain in the rear.

However, if you do eventually get tested for coeliacs, don't forget to start eating gluten again before you do, so that it will show up in your tests that indeed your body cannot handle the gluten. I hope though that the reason you're losing strength isn't bad and can be easily fixed :)
Gluten-free since St George's Day this year :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: