20 replies to this topic

#16 babysteps

babysteps

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:20 AM

I would say it might be b12 / iron since I'm getting these sores at the corners of mouth.

Sores at the corners of my mouth went away when I stopped using toothpaste and mouthwash. I checked with my dental hygienist and she said it was really the brushing, not the polish, that cleans teeth. 2 years, 2 more hygienists and 2 dentists (we moved) have all confirmed that my teeth are fine (I floss 1x/day and brush 2x/day).

Not that it couldn't also be b12/iron issues, just that this helped me a lot! Full disclosure: I am consistently, barely below normal levels for my iron (have been since childhood).

Good luck!

On exercise, check out the greenling post with lots of responses on this sports/fitness forum about starting workouts again - consensus is that we recovering celiacs may need more rest days than we used to for our muscles/bodies to recover. So think about bicycling but perhaps not as many days a week as you would have 'once upon a time' - see how that goes.
gluten-free (except unintentionally) from 7 Dec 2007
3 gluten-free cousins and counting (1 gold standard, 1 pos blood/no endo, 1 self/dietary diagnosed)
suspect mother was celiac (also, cousin suspects my mother's twin is celiac)

Feb 08 testing 'normal range' for gluten antibodies, IBD and food allergies
Staying off gluten - dietary reaction is compelling for me!

"Hi, I'm the gluten-free diner at your table."

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:50 AM

Sores at the corners of my mouth went away when I stopped using toothpaste and mouthwash. I checked with my dental hygienist and she said it was really the brushing, not the polish, that cleans teeth. 2 years, 2 more hygienists and 2 dentists (we moved) have all confirmed that my teeth are fine (I floss 1x/day and brush 2x/day).

Not that it couldn't also be b12/iron issues, just that this helped me a lot! Full disclosure: I am consistently, barely below normal levels for my iron (have been since childhood).

Good luck!

On exercise, check out the greenling post with lots of responses on this sports/fitness forum about starting workouts again - consensus is that we recovering celiacs may need more rest days than we used to for our muscles/bodies to recover. So think about bicycling but perhaps not as many days a week as you would have 'once upon a time' - see how that goes.

Hi Babysteps :-) Thanks for the recommendations!
Self diagnosed January 2012, and on elimination, low-salicylate & low-iodine diet.
Also G6PD

#18 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:14 AM

Have you been glutened recently? My husband found that after diagnosis and a gluten free diet he became much stronger despite thinking that he had no symptoms before diagnosis. I also became much stronger, but I had so many symptoms that it could easily have just been from being sick. He was on a business trip recently and suspects that he got a fair amount of accidental gluten consumption. Then he noticed that he was weaker. This has lasted a few weeks for him.

#19 JoeBlow

JoeBlow

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:19 AM

I can understand the healthcare being slow. It's a pain in the rear.

However, if you do eventually get tested for coeliacs, don't forget to start eating gluten again before you do, so that it will show up in your tests that indeed your body cannot handle the gluten. I hope though that the reason you're losing strength isn't bad and can be easily fixed :)

Sorry about the misfire, folks. I'm a little ADD and my computer and connection are too slow.

I must disagree with both of these statements.

I caution anyone with possible celiac disease who has been gluten free for 2 months, especially those who have been gluten-free for 6 months, against gluten challenges. Your immune system will likely be hair trigger, greatly more able to respond more powerfully, and very angry. You can easily get a new autoimmune disease very quickly, and you may not be able to recover from it. This means you could permanently lose the functioning of an organ, or take many years to recover only partially. This means that the most likely organs to be the next target of your immune system are your brain or your endocrine system. I'm speaking from my own experience, as well as from listening to a gluten intolerant doctor who has written for celiac.com, who has more than 20 years of clinical experience specializing in gluten intolerance, and my own primary care MD, who has the same length of experience specializing in gluten intolerance, and who has it herself, as well as 4 years of thousands of email correspondences with thousands of other celiacs on another forum.

I also disagree that losing strength can be easily fixed. I have always loved bicycling, and fantasized about bicycle racing in the olympics as a 5 year old. I never competed, but became an aggressive amateur. I was diagnosed with celiac 4.5 years ago. As I stated on the second thread on this forum, if I push it or cycle more than 1 hour and 15 minutes, I can be wiped out and unable to do much for 1 to 3 days. I had a Great Plains Labs organic acids urine test, and one of their recommendations was alpha ketoglutarate. I take L-Arginine Alpha KetoGlutarate an hour before bicycling, then a large shake before riding, and I can get away with pushing it a little for an hour and 10 minutes, but still cannot handle bicycling for 2 days in a row. Apparently I have an impaired krebbs cycle (getting energy into cells). In 2010, I was up to riding 5 days a week again. However, last year I did not do so well, and ended by only cycling 1 or 2 days a week. Live blood cell analysis this year revealed a huge red blood cell oxidation problem, in addition to the hemolytic anemia which I have been aware of for 14 years, which is continuing to abate. My doctor spent 4 hours writing an email to me regarding mitochondrial energy problem help, in which she recommended 11 new supplements, some of which I have not gotten yet, due to verifying gluten-free status. I don't consider this easy.
JoeBlow

Gluten-free,Dairy-free 08/06/07, Sugar-free since 1980
Diagnosed Celiac 09/29/07, HLA-DQB1s 0201, 0602

#20 JoeBlow

JoeBlow

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:31 AM

Dani,
I should mention also that I have exhausted adrenals and need to take thyroid, despite normal thyroid labs, or I can easily "crash".
JoeBlow

Gluten-free,Dairy-free 08/06/07, Sugar-free since 1980
Diagnosed Celiac 09/29/07, HLA-DQB1s 0201, 0602

#21 Ninja

Ninja

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:48 AM

Hi Dani –

I am a gymnast and can totally relate to the constant "should I keep going, or stop" type questions. I recently started talking methyl b12 lozenges (after my serum b12 came back low) and have noticed a HUGE difference in my muscle strength. I mean, like night and day difference! I don't have much advice as far as recovery goes because I still haven't figured it out myself, but I do suggest that you follow your body and stop... especially since you're still recovering from celiac/gluten intolerance! Or....

It seems like it would make sense to shorten the amount of time you cycle each day... or even if you do decide to go for an hour one day, you could try going for 10 min the next... just to get out, you know? That works for me sometimes. :)

Gluten Free 2/12 

Let the soul speak with the silent articulation of a face

~Rumi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: