9 replies to this topic

#1 outthere39

outthere39

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 10:28 AM

I usually drink water with everything, but of course that does not work with cereal. So I use soy dream, which specifically says that is gluten free. I do not get the same reactions as if I ingested gluten, but the soy drink tends to produce a knid of laxative effect. Are a lot of celiacs having problems with soy? I also have probs with corn. What are replacements can be used for Soy dream that have been easier to digested. I have been currently taking DgL, the licorice root, which I will say has taken the edge of a little.
Richard

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 SadiesMomma

SadiesMomma

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 01:49 PM

Hi Richard,
Well, sometimes when people have one allergy the other sometimes just some along with them. In this case it is probably just that. I as well use water for everything and I too have an allergy to soy beverages. The reason you are reacting is possibly due to 2 reasons:

1. You're allergic to soy.
2. The equipment used is possible used with materials used with some forms of grains.

I cant remember where I read it but "Rice Dream" I was told to not even drink because of that exact reason. Maybe it is the same with the soy? I have pretty much just given up soy all together and stick to water. You may want to research a little on certain brands of rice milk and check with the companies to see if they are gluten-free and also process it on "clean" machines. meaniung not used as the same machine as somehting that can hurt you.

As for the corn allergy, it is in my case just one of those additional foods on the forbidden list. Do a trial and error. See what forms if all or just some bother you. Maybe start a food diary to see what happens when and yadda yadda. its helped me a ton!!!

Good luck!
-Heather
~*HEATHER*~
Living gluten-free, Egg, Dairy, Nut, Soy, and Corn Free since Winter/Spring 2003

Fathers be good to your daughters,
Daughters will love like you do,
Girls become lovers who turn in Mothers,
So mothers be good to your daughters too.

#3 SteveW

SteveW

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 05:57 PM

Soy is on my watch list.
I haven't isolated it yet but most of the time I eat anything with soy I get a similar reaction as you.

I use Pacific Almond Milk and haven't had any issues.It is gluten-free.
It's very good and a excellent source of calcium.

What is DgL?

#4 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 06:00 PM

I have bad reactions to a lot of soy products but most that say gluten free and contain soy are okay for me. I try to avoid it all together. Maybe, you should try the same. Good luck!

Kristina

#5 lauradawn

lauradawn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 11:05 AM

I was going to suggest the same thing.... the almond milk or maybe even goat's milk. Those are the alternatives I can think of. I know that the rice milk specifically says that it is made from a barley enzyme, but I don't think that is the same with soy. I don't know....

Sorry
:o

#6 outthere39

outthere39

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 12:23 PM

Steve, DGL is a licorice root that helps support stomach lining and intestinal contractions. I am not actually sure how to spell out the whole word..deglycyrihizinate..I think. You chew two tablets 20 minutes before eating. I has deifinitely helped with the bloating.
-Richard

#7 SteveW

SteveW

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 03:02 AM

Richard,
Thanks for the info. I've actually been drinking Yogi Egyptian Licorice Tea( recommended by dietitian) and it does help.

#8 SadiesMomma

SadiesMomma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 07:27 AM

I thought as Celiacs that we couldnt have licorice..???????
~*HEATHER*~
Living gluten-free, Egg, Dairy, Nut, Soy, and Corn Free since Winter/Spring 2003

Fathers be good to your daughters,
Daughters will love like you do,
Girls become lovers who turn in Mothers,
So mothers be good to your daughters too.

#9 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 02:35 PM

Hi Heather,

Many licorice candy products contain wheat, but natural licorice root is gluten-free. You can get gluten-free licorice candy and the DGL supplements are good for aiding digestion, but certainly don't taste much like licorice! Read every label if you do try to get some licorice. Running Rabbit brand makes black cherry, raspberry and black licorice flavored candies. They are all gluten-free!

Richard, I am allergic to soy (I get very itchy!) and I am intolerant to dairy, so I have almond milk on my cereal. I use Blue Diamond Almond Breeze. It does have a small amount of soy lecithin in it, but not enough to bother me. Other than that, you could try Mocha Mix (original, NOT fat free). It is dairy free and soy free. I water it down. About 3 parts water to 1 part mocha mix. It makes a good milk replacement for baking as well as for cereal.

God bless,
Mariann
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#10 Aightball

Aightball

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 04:17 PM

So far, I've had excellent luck with the Silk brand of soy milk. For me, milk allergy goes along with the gluten/wheat thing, so I have to be extra careful not to get any dairy of any kind. You might try Silk.

If it keeps up, though, see an allergist. They can do a skin test for food allergies and this helped me tremendously! I am not allergic to wheat, but am intolerant of wheat/gluten.

-Kel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: