Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Fig Newton Recipe...

9 posts in this topic

The other day I read that someone mentioned missing fig newtons and wanted a gluten-free version. Well, here is one of the closest you will likely get to the real thing.

http://glutenfreegirl.com/guess-what-these-are/

Ads by Google:

The other day I read that someone mentioned missing fig newtons and wanted a gluten-free version. Well, here is one of the closest you will likely get to the real thing.

http://glutenfreegirl.com/guess-what-these-are/

Yeah, baby! I love fig newtons! :D

YUM! I have a few quarts of canned figs in the pantry that my MIL canned for me. I was thinking I would bypass the soaking and just drain the liquid and puree them. Since you are so knowledgeable do you think that would work?

Thanks so much!! I loved and miss Fig Newtons. I buy fresh Mission figs every late summer/fall when they're in Whole Foods and eat them sliced on my peanut butter coated muffins with cinnamon for breakfasts. So I might also try the recipe with fresh figs (and less lemon and pomegranate juice w/o the alcohol which I don't tolerate).

YUM! I have a few quarts of canned figs in the pantry that my MIL canned for me. I was thinking I would bypass the soaking and just drain the liquid and puree them. Since you are so knowledgeable do you think that would work?

Great idea. The flavour may not be as intense but if that does not bother you I think you should try it. However, they may be too liquidy because canned figs and mascerated figs are quite different things. As long as it is a thick paste (like tapenade as mentioned in the recipe) you will be fine. Perhaps use mostly canned figs and use a few dried figs if it is more like a puree as opposed to tapenade. Should work, though!

Ha!

You found it!

Thank you thank you!

Fig Newtons were so good.

Ha!

You found it!

Thank you thank you!

Fig Newtons were so good.

I posted a Fig Newton recipe on the "Make Your Own" thread JESTGAR started--- when you asked about them. Maybe you missed it, hon.

eatmeat4good, on 06 March 2012 - 06:11 PM, said:

Does anybody have a way of making

Fig Newtons?

Or some version of them??

I so loved them.

Honestly, I am not sure how good they are Sweetie, as I have not made them myself.

http://www.elanaspantry.com/fig-newtons/

I am sure the glutenfreegirl's version is awesome that LOVE2 has posted :)

I posted a Fig Newton recipe on the "Make Your Own" thread JESTGAR started--- when you asked about them. Maybe you missed it, hon.

eatmeat4good, on 06 March 2012 - 06:11 PM, said:

Does anybody have a way of making

Fig Newtons?

Or some version of them??

I so loved them.

Honestly, I am not sure how good they are Sweetie, as I have not made them myself.

http://www.elanaspantry.com/fig-newtons/

I am sure the glutenfreegirl's version is awesome that LOVE2 has posted :)

IH, I had completely forgotten about your previous post. Man, I must be getting old. <_<

I read through the reviews on Elana's recipe - some good, some were disappointed after making them. If anyone makes this recipe, just read through what others have said for tips and ideas and things to avoid. Not to discredit her at all - just a heads up to read through everything and not just this recipe - all of them! :)

IH, I had completely forgotten about your previous post. Man, I must be getting old. <_<

I read through the reviews on Elana's recipe - some good, some were disappointed after making them. If anyone makes this recipe, just read through what others have said for tips and ideas and things to avoid. Not to discredit her at all - just a heads up to read through everything and not just this recipe - all of them! :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: we are not old, we're "seasoned".

Yes, most definitely read the reviews.

Whenever I post a recipe from a more reputable website, espeically if I have never made the recipe myself, I say "I have not made these"!!!-- just so everyone knows.

That way, if they are dreadful, I can't be blamed. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Hi Anns and welcome   Do you think that I am on the right course to see if I possibly have Celiac?   Yes, it was smart of you to consider the possibility and its good that you've had the tests. Both the aneamia and bloating are symptoms, although of course they may be unrelated. Best way to find out is to check as you are doing.   Can this develope later in life ( I'm 46)?   Yes, I think its most common discovered later rather than sooner.   I ate a meal last night that was gluten free and did not feel like nearly as bloated after eating, would I notice a change that quickly?  Thanksort for your input.   Yes, I noticed far less of a heavy feeling after eating very soon after diet changes. However you would be better off not trying gluten free just yet. I collected some links and other stuff here, it may be of use: Your best bet is to eat as normal and wait for the test results. If your doctors eliminate celiac there's nothing to stop you excluding gluten at that point to see if it helps. But before then you need to keep eating it to ensure an accurate diagnosis.  All the best  
    • Well HIV undermines the entire immune system as I understand it, so that would be akin to using dynamite to put out a kitchen fire! There is some work going on to try and retrain the immune system to not see gluten as a threat though: http://www.immusant.com/docs/ImmusanT DDW Data Release FINAL 5.24.16.pdf  I'm laughing as I write this imagining the conversations you could have with people as you tell them you'd like to contract HIV so that you can eat a decent sandwich        
    • So, I have just yesterday had blood work done to test for Celiac so I am waiting on my results.  This was prompted when my Dr discovered that I was severely anemic and after other testing sent me to  Hematology.  I actually inquired if I could possibly have a gluten sensitive because of the anemia (which has improved with an iron supplement) and feeling bloated after eating and well most of the time actually and after some research I found that this could be a sign that of a gluten sensitivity.   The Hematology Dr also recommend an upper GI.  Do you think that I am on the right course to see if I possibly have Celiac?  Can this develope later in life ( I'm 46)?  I ate a meal last night that was gluten free and did not feel like nearly as bloated after eating, would I notice a change that quickly?  Thanksort for your input.   ANN
    • Yes, the first time you use gluten free flours, it feels like a challenge. ... of a gluten-free living after her elder kid was diagnosed with Celiac Disease. View the full article
    • I figured I would update those who were wondering.  I have gotten the appt. so far moved up to August 30. I am waiting to have gene testing done via swab for all 3 of my kiddos tomorrow. My daughters celiac antibodies came up negative but her IgA is low which the ped said could cause false negative antibodies for celiac so she will need to see a GI dr. also. The pediatrician is going to call the GI to try to get them in sooner. I am keeping them all on a gluten diet until the GI dr. decides what to do. I am on the cancellation list already for my son, however I am not going to be persistent with my phone calls to them until I have the results of the gene test. I really want that result in my hand before going to the GI dr if I can. Maybe if he is positive, along with his bloodwork and my history they can forgo the endoscopy. But he will eat gluten till then.  My husband and I have been very honest and upfront with him as to what is going on and the possibility of the endoscopy and what that entails and although scared in general he seems ok after assuring him that since I have it he has me to help him every step of the way.  Going through his current diet with him I realized that he is truly on such a low gluten diet that I am actually surprised his bloodwork shows antibodies at all!  So I told him to make a list of allllll the gluten he could possibly think of eating and he needs to pound it until the GI visit or endoscopy. Funny thing is everything he keeps thinking of to want to eat...is already gluten free!  The other night we were at a friends and he asked if he could be done with his hotdog. I made him finish just the bread 😂 Thanks for your help and advise and I will keep y'all posted on both kids!  My oldest is a ok as far as all his antibodies. Just actually had a follow up for other immune issues and all his levels are now normal!
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Anns