4 replies to this topic

#1 Juliebove

Juliebove

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:36 PM

So yesterday I was talking to two people about pasta. I was telling them the story of how the Dr. who diagnosed my daughter for the second time with a wheat allergy said my Italian husband wouldn't get gluten-free pasta because Italians ate semolina pasta. I replied to her that he had been eating it and he liked it. She looked shocked.

The one woman then asked me what was wrong with semolina? And I said it was wheat! She laughed and told me that no, it was a grain. The semolina grain! The second woman who is also Italian agreed and said that it was a grain. They acted like I was stupid.

So as soon as I got home, I looked it up. Turns out it is what they calld the middlin's (not entirely sure what that is) of a grain and that grain is usually wheat but it can also be made of corn, rice or other grains.

So I guess I am not the stupid one after all.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:10 AM

Semolina is wheat--a grain product. Definitely not safe for those of us with celiac disease.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:28 AM

It just goes to show that so many people have no clue what they are eating or where food comes from. My son's friend's grandmother told me she was allergic to wheat. Then she proceeded to tell me that she eliminated whole wheat bread and now only eats white bread.. :blink:

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#4 c_m

c_m

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:52 PM

I've heard "can you eat rice? Is rice made of wheat?"

I don't discuss food with people anymore.

#5 auzzi

auzzi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:48 PM

Semolina is wheat--a grain product. Definitely not safe for those of us with celiac disease.

Semolina is a rough grind of a cereal grain with the bran removed.

In the wider world, coarse ground meal from grains other than Durum or wheat is also referred to as semolina, e.g. barley semolina, rice semolina, or corn semolina .. Barley is still no good, but the other two are gluten-free.

Examples:

Maize Semolina
http://www.alliedmil...zeSemolina.aspx

Rice Semolina
http://www.ambicaric...ce-semolina.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: