#1 dani nero

dani nero

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:26 PM

Hello again,

Sorry for posting a lot recently. This is all new to me.
I'm only on the second day of elimination diet, and aside from the leftover symptoms, I've been noticing that my throat gets sore a lot, specifically after eating. My eyes are also extremely dry and head feels as if I'm going to get a cold.

It's all so confusing because I have no idea whether I'm getting a reaction or if I'm actually sick X(
Self diagnosed January 2012, and on elimination, low-salicylate & low-iodine diet.
Also G6PD

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:48 PM

Geez....you're experiencing a lot of symptoms. All I can say is that Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (which affects quite a few people with celiac, including me) can present with a sore throat, fatigue, joint pain, foggy thinking, and dry eyes. Also, it can cause constipation. It can come on suddenly because the thyroid will produce enough hormone, and then, all of a sudden, it stops producing enough...and then the cycle can begin again until the thyroid finally stops completely. I believe you mentioned elsewhere that you were tested for thyroid problems a few months ago. I had also just been tested when I suddenly began experiencing thyroid problems--I was tested again, and my thyroid was in big trouble. However, for a while, I thought I had the flu because the sore throat wouldn't go away and I felt so terribly fatigued, and the doctors kept giving telling me it was just the flu. Even with thyroid medication, it took about eight months for the sore throat to go away (it's because the thyroid was inflamed).

I'm going to keep positive thoughts for you with regard to getting a doctor's appointment soon. And perhaps you DO just have a virus--let's hope!

#3 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:34 PM

Geez....you're experiencing a lot of symptoms. All I can say is that Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (which affects quite a few people with celiac, including me) can present with a sore throat, fatigue, joint pain, foggy thinking, and dry eyes. Also, it can cause constipation. It can come on suddenly because the thyroid will produce enough hormone, and then, all of a sudden, it stops producing enough...and then the cycle can begin again until the thyroid finally stops completely. I believe you mentioned elsewhere that you were tested for thyroid problems a few months ago. I had also just been tested when I suddenly began experiencing thyroid problems--I was tested again, and my thyroid was in big trouble. However, for a while, I thought I had the flu because the sore throat wouldn't go away and I felt so terribly fatigued, and the doctors kept giving telling me it was just the flu. Even with thyroid medication, it took about eight months for the sore throat to go away (it's because the thyroid was inflamed).

I'm going to keep positive thoughts for you with regard to getting a doctor's appointment soon. And perhaps you DO just have a virus--let's hope!

Gosh sorry you've had thyroid problems :-(
This is really worrying. I really hope it isn't the case though. I thought all the problems would go away once I started a proper gluten free diet, but it's a real bumpy ride.
Self diagnosed January 2012, and on elimination, low-salicylate & low-iodine diet.
Also G6PD

#4 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:45 PM

Yes, I had thought the same....but I didn't develop Hashimoto's until after I'd been strictly gluten free for three years.

#5 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:02 PM

Sorry to hear that :-( What is it like to live with hoshimoto's?
Also G6PD

#6 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:26 PM

It was very difficult for about two years, because, as the thyroid slowly died, my medication had to be adjusted up and down. Sometimes I would become hyperthyroid and then bounce back to being hypothyroid. Now that I know the symptoms of both, I can usually detect when I need to adjust my meds. Even after five years, it sometimes still becomes an issue. Otherwise, it just comes down to taking meds forever.

#7 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:47 AM

It was very difficult for about two years, because, as the thyroid slowly died, my medication had to be adjusted up and down. Sometimes I would become hyperthyroid and then bounce back to being hypothyroid. Now that I know the symptoms of both, I can usually detect when I need to adjust my meds. Even after five years, it sometimes still becomes an issue. Otherwise, it just comes down to taking meds forever.

Hang in there. You sound like you have more better days than bad though :-)
Xoxo
Also G6PD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: