11 replies to this topic

#1 dani nero

dani nero

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:42 AM

I wasn't sure which forum to put this post in since it's not about recipes or about restaurants. Sorry if this is the wrong place.

My husband has been wanting to go to the cinema since Friday, and I've been putting it off, basically because I had no idea what snack to take with me while I'm on the elimination diet. To me part of going to see a film is having munchies. I basically eat veggies (no corn, and carrots or peppers since they make my throat sore) and meat.

I was thinking.. would it be a bad idea to have a coca cola zero? :-(
Anyone else have a bad experience from cola or any type of diet soda?

Any ideas on interesting snacks I can take? :-)
Self diagnosed January 2012, and on elimination, low-salicylate & low-iodine diet.
Also G6PD

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mamaupupup

mamaupupup

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:11 PM

:) yay movies! My newest favorite gluten-free munchy: Bangkock Sweet Chile Rice Chips by Snapdragon. Our kids love Pirates Booty (but I think it has corn, so double check the ingredients list). For a more healthy choice I love jicama slices. Jicama can be sweet and crunchy and has lots of water in it! Jicama, like carrot, is a root, so I'm not sure your throat will like it.
Instead of cola/soda could you find a more "natural" soda like a ginger ale?

Have fun at the movies!

#3 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:21 PM

:) yay movies! My newest favorite gluten-free munchy: Bangkock Sweet Chile Rice Chips by Snapdragon. Our kids love Pirates Booty (but I think it has corn, so double check the ingredients list). For a more healthy choice I love jicama slices. Jicama can be sweet and crunchy and has lots of water in it! Jicama, like carrot, is a root, so I'm not sure your throat will like it.
Instead of cola/soda could you find a more "natural" soda like a ginger ale?

Have fun at the movies!

Thanks, sounds yummy! I hope it won't cause any problems :-)
Self diagnosed January 2012, and on elimination, low-salicylate & low-iodine diet.
Also G6PD

#4 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,419 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:26 PM

I haven't had any issues from Coke or any other colas, although to my knowledge so far I don't have any additional food allergies or interferences. I do love Izze sodas though, they're pretty much carbonated water and juice with no additional sweetener.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#5 Strawberry_Jam

Strawberry_Jam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:41 PM

If you can't do corn, soda is a bad idea due to high fructose corn syrup and regular corn syrup.
gluten-free 25 Feb 2011
soy-free 30 March 2011

dairy-free 30 August 2011 (roughly)

22 yrs old
diagnosed Celiac through biopsy and blood test (WAY positive) as of 25 Feb 2011

#6 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,419 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:23 PM

Neither of those should be an issue since she mentioned getting Coke Zero. I haven't looked up the ingredients but I am assuming that zero calories = zero corn syrup. There also isn't any corn syrup in the Izze soda, it doesn't have any sweeteners.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#7 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:41 PM

No I don't think diet sodas contain corn syrup.. I can't do any sugar or corn.
I also live in sweden, we don't have Izze soda but perhaps there is something close to it :-) Thanks!
Also G6PD

#8 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:06 PM

Whenever I do have a soda, depending where you are you can find Sierra Mist Natural or Pepsi throwback cola. They are made with real sugar. I also like Crunchmaster 7th Ancient grain lightly salted cracker. It has no corn, no nuts or soy! I'm not sure if you're eating any graines, but this has been the best for me.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#9 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:50 AM

Whenever I do have a soda, depending where you are you can find Sierra Mist Natural or Pepsi throwback cola. They are made with real sugar. I also like Crunchmaster 7th Ancient grain lightly salted cracker. It has no corn, no nuts or soy! I'm not sure if you're eating any graines, but this has been the best for me.

Nope no grains.
Also G6PD

#10 Strawberry_Jam

Strawberry_Jam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:37 AM

ah, I missed the "zero" part up there. I myself don't do fake sugars because I cannot stand the taste (splenda and saccharin are the worst, but aspertame sucks too). I wouldn't think such a chemical concoction would be good for an elimination diet, but hey if you don't get symptoms, good on you.

you didn't mention if you're off ALL sugar, such as the sugar in, say, strawberries, or just cane sugar/added sugar. I often substitute blueberries when I get a skittles craving. a handful of nuts or berries or something like that could do for a substitute for movie theatre candy anyway.
gluten-free 25 Feb 2011
soy-free 30 March 2011

dairy-free 30 August 2011 (roughly)

22 yrs old
diagnosed Celiac through biopsy and blood test (WAY positive) as of 25 Feb 2011

#11 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:45 AM

ah, I missed the "zero" part up there. I myself don't do fake sugars because I cannot stand the taste (splenda and saccharin are the worst, but aspertame sucks too). I wouldn't think such a chemical concoction would be good for an elimination diet, but hey if you don't get symptoms, good on you.

you didn't mention if you're off ALL sugar, such as the sugar in, say, strawberries, or just cane sugar/added sugar. I often substitute blueberries when I get a skittles craving. a handful of nuts or berries or something like that could do for a substitute for movie theatre candy anyway.

I'm off all sugar. Really good suggestion on the berries though, thanks :-) I was thinking of adding rice next but I think it's better to start with fruit... Which makes me wonder, when I add berries, means I can have all berries? or all fruits?
Also G6PD

#12 Mango04

Mango04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:38 AM

I know the OP isn't drinking soda, but I want to point out that the ingredients in Coke, Pepsi etc. in the US are completely different from the ingredients in Coke, Pepsi, etc. in Sweden. Coke in your country isn't the same as Coke in someone else's country. Just important to keep in mind when giving people advice about specific products. :)
"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: