8 replies to this topic

#1 GracieO

GracieO

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:24 PM

Hi, I just wanted to post because it seems Olive Gardens gets a really bad rap on here. Okay, yes it is not the best Italian food, but for gluten-free there isn't a lot of options that are generally safe! And I have found Olive Garden's gluten-free pasta to be okay! I would not order a grilled meal anywhere I go, I just don't trust CC.

But Olive Garden is always wiling to make the gluten-free pasta as specific as I would like. I order the gluten-free pasta with marinara sauce, and they add cheeses and cheese on top and bake for me!! Basically I get baked-zitti! I'm sure they would alter the pasta in any way, adding chicken, veggies, ect!! No complaints here!!

Pasta is cooked separately, and they have 2 sauces that are gluten-free. Staff and manager always friendly and accommodating! Hope it helps for someone looking for gluten-free eat-out italian. Oh, also, I have never once gotten sick from Olive Garden when ordering the pasta! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:36 PM

It's my understanding that the pasta is precooked and packaged, so no cooking in the kitchen. They microwave it and serve with sauce. It sounds pretty safe as long as you have an informed server.

I do love the salads.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 hexon

hexon

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:41 PM

Myself and my cousin have both eaten the gluten-free pasta there on separate occasions. Both times the pasta was undercooked (...or microwaved). I left feeling underwhelmed after spending $9 on a very tiny plate of tasteless pasta with marinara sauce. I'd probably have been fine with it if they at least gave me a normal dinner portion size. I guess it's a good thing the salad is bottomless

#4 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:53 PM

Myself and my cousin have both eaten the gluten-free pasta there on separate occasions. Both times the pasta was undercooked (...or microwaved). I left feeling underwhelmed after spending $9 on a very tiny plate of tasteless pasta with marinara sauce. I'd probably have been fine with it if they at least gave me a normal dinner portion size. I guess it's a good thing the salad is bottomless

Yes, I agree, endless salad. :D
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#5 lmvrbaby

lmvrbaby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:31 PM

I am not sure where you are from but here in NY state, I have eaten ate two different Olive Gardens and ordered the pasta, once without grilled chicken the second time with and I have gone home both times with a box. I am a pasta eater and can easily eat quite a bit of it. Yes, I eat the salad as well. I have not tried another restaurant that does gluten free pasta as there are not many or I seem not to find them around where I live. Hope this helps.
Lisa

Mom of four boys
Nana to three granddaughters
Diagnosed with Celiac January 2006 after positive biopsy and follow up with positive blood tests
Diagnosed Chronic Fatigue Syndrome March 2006 after ruling out so many other things

Vitamin B12 deficiency October 2006
Oldest son diagnosed Celiac June 2006 also diagnosed type one diabetic November 2002

#6 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:51 AM

I believe someone posted here a while back that it is no longer frozen pasta. They cook it from scratch. I have no issues with the pasta except that the carb count is far too high for most diabetics (like me) to eat.

My complaint is with the salad. They keep putting croutons on it even when you say that you don't want them. Once the salad came out with a lone crouton on it. The waiter said he would pick it off. Then looked all miffed when I said we needed a new salad with no croutons whatever.

Granted we have only dined at one location but they just don't seem to get it.

#7 doumite

doumite

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:24 PM

If there’s one thing I truly like about the Olive Garden gluten free menu, it’s the fact that they offer gluten-free pasta.

#8 mateo2099

mateo2099

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:04 AM

Johnny Carino's gluten-free menu is so much better.  They have several pasta options with a variety of plates, and even gluten-free pizza for the kids.  They are light-years ahead of the abysmal taste and selection of Olive Garden.  

#9 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:40 PM

That sounds good, may need to try johnny carinos!  I think I had read they had a gluten-free menu but never heard any opinions on it.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: