8 replies to this topic

#1 ndw3363

ndw3363

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:34 AM

Ok, so before going gluten-free, I was never a vegetable eater. But once you take most of the sugar out of your diet, things start to taste different. So I've been a veggie eater for the past year and been loving it. However, broccoli was always one of those veggies that I could only eat in very small pieces and usually smothered in something not healthy. A friend of mine posted a recipe for roasted broccoli on facebook and I was intrigued. I love roasting veggies so I thought I would try it. Seriously, could have eaten just this for dinner and been happy (actually had the leftovers for breakfast...yes it's that good). I'm sure many of you veggie eaters already love the stuff, but for those trying to break into the veggie loving world, I thought I would share.

My link

Hope I linked the site correctly.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:46 AM

Yummy...and summer is just around the corner for all sorts of fresh veggies. :D
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:25 PM

She said she didn't wash the broccoli because heating would kill the germs. Germs wouldn't be my worry - pesticides would! And even if it were organic broccoli, well, the fertilizer (manure) might have splashed up onto it during a heavy rainstorm. I would DEFINITELY wash it first.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#4 alex11602

alex11602

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:38 PM

The recipe looked great minus the not washing it first. It actually gave me the idea to make roasted broccoli for dinner since my husband and girls have never had it, well it was a hit. The two year old asked for broccoli for breakfast this morning :)

#5 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:59 PM

We roast pretty much every vegetable including broccoli, cauliflower, radishes, parsnips, turnips, green beans, leeks, fennel, kale - you name it, we roast it. Roasting brings out the natural sweetness of the vegetables, especially if they are allowed to caramelize a little in the pan. In fact, we never boil vegetables unless it is required for a certain type of soup or whatever.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#6 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:34 PM

One of the best things I ever tasted was corn that was cooked in the fireplace. It was all brown and carmelized and I loved it. Of corse that was many years ago, and now, with my corn intolerance I know I will never try it again. But the broccoli and cauliflower sound good.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#7 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:11 PM

One of the best things I ever tasted was corn that was cooked in the fireplace. It was all brown and carmelized and I loved it. Of corse that was many years ago, and now, with my corn intolerance I know I will never try it again. But the broccoli and cauliflower sound good.

That sounds lovely! I have never had it done in a fireplace but we often grill it.

Forgot to mention roasted asparagus and mushrooms.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#8 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:50 AM

Thanks for posting the recipe. I just got broccoli at the market and I'm going to try this! Looks yummy

#9 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:17 AM

I'm going to try this be ause I found out a few weeks ago that my 16 yr old likes broccoli! I don't have to hide it anymore.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: