arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Gluten Symptoms After First Time Eating Gluten Free Breads?

• Please log in to reply

26 replies to this topic

#1 josh052980

josh052980

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:26 AM

I've been gluten free for a year now and for the last 2 months been feeling perfectly fine. I just this past weekend managed to find Udi's gluten free breads at my local store, so I bought some of the gluten free hamburger buns to use with my Five Guys Burger the other night. It was AMAZING. Sat with me perfectly, no issues.

This was also the first time since I'd went gluten free that I've had ANY sort of bread.

The next night, I made some Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Cornbread Mix, and the next morning was feeling some gluten symptoms, they were light, but there. Has anyone else had this happen? I think I'm just feeling like I do cause my system isn't used to having breads down there anymore...

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 BabsV

BabsV

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:36 AM

The next night, I made some Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Cornbread Mix, and the next morning was feeling some gluten symptoms, they were light, but there. Has anyone else had this happen? I think I'm just feeling like I do cause my system isn't used to having breads down there anymore...

I have tried 3 different mixes (brownies, cornbread and pizza crust) from BRM and each time I've felt cruddy the next day although it wasn't a full glutening type of feeling. The instance were all spaced apart (several days or even weeks) and the BRM product was the only new thing I tried. I now avoid the brand.

#3 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:37 AM

hope you feel better soon. I have heard from several when they eat bread they feel ill...For me, I react to Bob's Red Mill so I don't use it at all...

There are many packaged products gluten-free that people react to so maybe it was the pkged mix....

#4 josh052980

josh052980

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:56 AM

I had a feeling that'd be the case... The Udi's stuff didn't phase me one little bit and it tastes just like I remember the real deal being. Guess I'll stick with that and avoid BRM stuff at all costs.

#5 kwylee

kwylee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:00 AM

Has anyone else had this happen? I think I'm just feeling like I do cause my system isn't used to having breads down there anymore...

I found that when I first reintroduced rice and corn into my diet, I started feeling less stellar overall, no stomach issues but just dragging a bit the next day. Now I don't eat much of either at one time, and I don't eat both on the same day and I'm just fine. Most days I just stick with my potatoes that have always been my mainstay carb, along with fruits, veggies and some beans on occasion. I've read this about Bob's Red Mill products from many here and I think I'll just avoid that. But Udi's muffins and pizza crust are my favorite, especially if you like thin type. THERE YOU GO!!! MAKING ME HUNGRY!!!!!!!
K Wylee

Gluten Intolerant, Positive test, June 2010
Casein sensitivity, Positive test, June 2010
Reactive to soy, most processed foods & preservatives, June 2010

#6 Strawberry_Jam

Strawberry_Jam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:45 AM

Can you tolerate gluten-free oats?

Bob's Red Mill stuff, all of it, is CC'd with gluten-free oats. Which sucks for that percentage of celiacs who react to the oats themselves.

gluten-free 25 Feb 2011
soy-free 30 March 2011

dairy-free 30 August 2011 (roughly)

25 yrs old
diagnosed Celiac through biopsy and blood test (WAY positive) as of 25 Feb 2011

#7 josh052980

josh052980

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:46 AM

Can you tolerate gluten-free oats?

Bob's Red Mill stuff, all of it, is CC'd with gluten-free oats. Which sucks for that percentage of celiacs who react to the oats themselves.

I just read about this last night. BRM gluten free oats mess me up pretty bad, so I guess I have my answer. I was nearly at a migraine last night. It's weird though, the symptoms now take longer to show up in me, I guess cause I've been gluten free so long that I'm starting to actually heal?

#8 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:05 AM

This is interesting (and perplexing) but what about all this isn't, right?! :lol:

I can honestly report that BRM flours--like rice and sorghum-- do not bother me and I am very sensitive to trace gluten CC, HOWEVER the BRM all-purpose flour with the Garfava or garbanzo bean flours in them? Make me nauseous. For what that's worth. :lol:

Also, delayed symptoms often make it VERY difficult to determine what causes symptoms in me, but I always know when it's GLUTEN. Those are very definite symptoms in me that mean only one thing.

If there was gluten CC in BRM flours, I'd be sick every day from the bread we make ourselves.

Could be the oats, however, as was suggested.!!

Oddly, I have more of a wonky stomach after eating Udi's than anything made by BRM. Not sure what THAT means. :lol:

But I have a package of their rolls right here I am going to try and let you know. :)

Just goes to show that our stomachs --and systems-- are all different, I guess. If only we humans came with user manuals.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#9 josh052980

josh052980

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:49 AM

Oddly, I have more of a wonky stomach after eating Udi's than anything made by BRM. Not sure what THAT means. :lol:

I just tried Udi's for the first time this weekend too... And I ate some of it yesterday. Perhaps between BRM and Udi's it was a perfect storm of gluteny crappiness?

#10 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:52 AM

I just tried Udi's for the first time this weekend too... And I ate some of it yesterday. Perhaps between BRM and Udi's it was a perfect storm of gluteny crappiness?

No, you may have missed my point, hon. I do not think it is gluten CC. I think it is something else in those products bothering you. IMHO

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#11 josh052980

josh052980

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:57 AM

No, you may have missed my point, hon. I do not think it is gluten CC. I think it is something else in those products bothering you. IMHO

That's what I'm meaning; I don't think this is gluten, while the symptoms are similar, they're not the same as being glutened. It feels a LOT like after I got nailed by the oats though. What I need to do to be sure of things is get over this and feel normal again, then give Udi's another shot, then I'll be sure.

#12 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:09 PM

That's what I'm meaning; I don't think this is gluten, while the symptoms are similar, they're not the same as being glutened. It feels a LOT like after I got nailed by the oats though. What I need to do to be sure of things is get over this and feel normal again, then give Udi's another shot, then I'll be sure.

Good thought Josh. Let us know....it might help someone. :)
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#13 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,113 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:16 PM

I've been gluten free for a year now and for the last 2 months been feeling perfectly fine. I just this past weekend managed to find Udi's gluten free breads at my local store, so I bought some of the gluten free hamburger buns to use with my Five Guys Burger the other night. It was AMAZING. Sat with me perfectly, no issues.

This was also the first time since I'd went gluten free that I've had ANY sort of bread.

I know many have good luck with Five Guys but isn't that the most likely gluten cc? I have seen the bun guy wrap the bunless burgers. I have been to one that grills the buns if people ask- right with the burgers.

"You have problems.  There are not enough paper clips, and then you've got world hunger.  Your problems are somewhere in between." -DPR,III

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

purring-kitty-smiley-emoticon.gif

#14 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:46 AM

Sorry. Maybe I misunderstood you.
I read your sentence as this--it said "between BRM and UDI's, it was the perfect storm for "gluteny crappiness" ---and thought that was what you meant--as in Gluten CC.

Okay. Got it!

;)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#15 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,113 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:55 AM

Sorry. Maybe I misunderstood you.
I read your sentence as this--it said "between BRM and UDI's, it was the perfect storm for "gluteny crappiness" ---and thought that was what you meant--as in Gluten CC.

Okay. Got it!

;)

Several of his comments sounded like that to me, too.

"You have problems.  There are not enough paper clips, and then you've got world hunger.  Your problems are somewhere in between." -DPR,III

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

purring-kitty-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: