Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Do gluten-free Flours Really Need To Be Refrigerated?

• Please log in to reply

22 replies to this topic

#16 BeFree

BeFree

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:10 AM

Thank you, this makes sense. My conclusion from all of your input is that like most other foods, it should not have some sort of extremely offensive odor or taste if it's still fresh. When I taste the raw flour it does not taste *great* obviously, since it's raw flour, but it doesn't taste what I would guess to be sour, and it has no strong smell.

Does anyone know though, if I accidentally eat something with spoiled flour, will that hurt me or just taste bad?
Gluten-Free as of September 2011

Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits...it says 'Oooooooo'.
Peter, those are Cheerios.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:41 AM

Oxidized fatty acids aren't terribly healthy to eat (which is why you perceive them as rancid) but usually the flour will have an "off" taste/smell when it starts to spoil.

#18 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

Can we still post on this? Apparently so.

I made lovely chocolate cupcakes for Valentine's Day, but hadn't baked much since last summer. Something went bad, but I'm not sure what. At first I thought it was the potato starch, then wondered if it was the tapioca. Could it have been the xanthan gum. Oh, dear. Have been keeping them all in the pantry after reading this thread--previously in the refrigerator.

Should I just throw them all away? I also keep my white rice flour in the pantry, but used a new bag, so it probably wasn't that.

Missed a day of work over this, so I may just throw out all of the above. Also, gave some to my next door neighbor who had just had surgery and she was up all night with the big D (she's not a gluten-freerer, but loves my cooking or LOVED, before this).
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

#19 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:12 PM

While they may keep better refrigerated, we store them in air-tight containers at room temperature. Be sure that they are truly air-tight. Tupperware and Oxo Good Grip are--Glad and Ziploc are not 100%.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#20 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,234 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

While they may keep better refrigerated, we store them in air-tight containers at room temperature. Be sure that they are truly air-tight. Tupperware and Oxo Good Grip are--Glad and Ziploc are not 100%.

I just spent the kids inheritance at Bed, Bath & Beyond to get some of those Oxo things for my flours. I do keep the almond in the freezer. I think that can go bad easier, but I don't have any evidence.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#21 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:36 AM

Since I don't know where to get Tupperware, OXO it is! I was just folding the tops over three or four times tightly (I thought) and securing them with a clip.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

#22 RyanIN

RyanIN

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:54 AM

I've never put any of my flours in the fridge, but then again I've always ignored that my peanut butter jar says to put it in the fridge too. Though, I agree that soy flour is just not worth having since it does seem to go rancid quickly (and then subsequently ruins what ever you accidentally put it in). But, unless you are planning to take several months to use a certain flour, I wouldn't worry to much. But since most gluten-free flours comes in such small quanities, it usually isn't a problem. That was one of the hardest things to adjust to about going gluten free. I was used to paying $15 for a 50 pound bag of whole wheat flour. And now it cost $10 for a less than 2 pound bag of Quinoa flour.

#23 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:09 AM

The real answer here, for me, is I'm going back to putting Tapioca, potato starch, and xanthan gum back in the refrigerator where they never went bad, for me at least.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: