18 replies to this topic

#1 Joe0123

Joe0123

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:57 PM

So I've been reading some super sensitives have trouble with Tinkyada pastas which is what I use. Have ya'll found that to be the case? Do you know what the problem with their pastas would be? From what I've read and talking to them, it seems like their products should be free from gluten contamination, but I'm considering doing a food challenge just to see if I can tell a difference. Also, are there are brands of pasta you recommend? Some others that I've seen that would seem to be ok are Rizopia, Mrs Leepers, Ener G and Ancient Harvest.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:12 PM

Absolutely no problems with Tinkyada pasta.

(as far as I know, it's all they make there. Certified out the ying-yang as Kosher, gluten-free, allergen-free, all organic.)

If you want variety in your pasta choices, you can try corn pasta.

Sam Mills, BiAglut, Schar.
All good. :)

I am extremely sensitive to trace gluten CC. I know when I've been "hit".

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 krystynycole

krystynycole

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:00 PM

I'm one of them super sensitives and that's the kind I eat because I hate the texture of corn pasta. I have no issues with Tinkyada pasta.

Gluten Free since November 2010 and feeling fantastic!

(Mis)diagnosis with IBS in 2004
MSG and caffeine free since 2001

#4 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:40 PM

I'm pretty darn sensitive to cross contamination and have been enjoying Tinkyada for years now. Never a problem with it.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#5 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:08 PM

I'm one of them super sensitives and that's the kind I eat because I hate the texture of corn pasta. I have no issues with Tinkyada pasta.

Just agreeing here that we did not care for the corn pasta . . . also no issues with Tinkyada (although my daughter is not super sensitive).
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#6 sreese68

sreese68

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:38 PM

Could you be reacting to the brown rice in the pasta? I can't eat their pasta because brown rice gives me severe stomach pain and bad C. (Gluten gives me very mild stomach issues. I mostly get neuro symptoms from gluten.)

My kids prefer BiAglut (corn and something else) to Tinkyada. I eat Le Veneziane (corn only). It's far better than any other corn pasta I've tried. I order both online from here: http://www.quattrobimbi.com/
Sharon
gluten-free March 2011
Failed gluten challenge May 2011
Diagnosed celiac 5/25/11

#7 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:05 AM

I found Mrs. Leepers a bit better, but eventually got rid of both as I got rid of most of our processed foods.

I can't know for certain that it was gluten cc. We could be reacting to something else. My son and I both seem to be extremely sensitive. He has had just about every test imaginable and was only positive for celiac and dust allergy. I haven't had quite as many tests, but also negative except for celiac.

Do you know if they do anything to ensure that their rice comes from rice only (no gluten grains) farmers who don't share any equipment with gluten grains?

#8 MaryJones2

MaryJones2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:03 PM

I too have never had a problem with Tinkyada. Trader Joe's brand is rumored to be Tinkyada but I've never done well with it...Ancient Harvest is the other brand we use with no issue.

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

#9 USF1970

USF1970

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:59 PM

I've become super-sensitive and have been keeping a food journal. Recently, I ate Tinkyada pasta and had a severe case of diarrhea. So, I'm crossing Tinkyada off my list......MUCH to my dismay and sorrow.

#10 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:44 PM

I tried Sam Mills spaghetti tonight for the first time and it was the closest thing that I remember about *real* pasta. And husband (gluten eater) loved it! :D

Super Supper with some clam sauce.!
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#11 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:25 PM

I've become super-sensitive and have been keeping a food journal. Recently, I ate Tinkyada pasta and had a severe case of diarrhea. So, I'm crossing Tinkyada off my list......MUCH to my dismay and sorrow.

Gosh, sorry hon. :(

I know from your other posts that you have recently been questioning a case of refractory sprue? so maybe there are other factors at play as to why you cannot tolerate this pasta? (not necessarily gluten cc)

I hope you and your doctors can figure out what's going on soon! :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#12 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:51 AM

The power of the food journal. I made my own pasta for awhile. I used sorted and washed grain which I ground myself, and lots of eggs. I have since had to cut out eggs, so no more pasta.

#13 USF1970

USF1970

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:12 PM

The power of the food journal. I made my own pasta for awhile. I used sorted and washed grain which I ground myself, and lots of eggs. I have since had to cut out eggs, so no more pasta.

And so it goes...no more Tinkyada pasta for me and at your suggestion, I asked my doc about dairy products. I am now off dairy until my genetic tests come back. Oh joy...best of luck to you.

At least I can still have caffeine, sugar and alcohol........ some very small pleasures.

#14 jeanzdyn

jeanzdyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:19 PM

corn pasta is okay, but I really like Tinkyada pasta. I have not have any gluten symptoms as a result of eating Tinkyada pasta. It's as close to 'real' noodles as you will find. I am greatful for Tinkyada pasta!
What is food to one man may be fierce poison to others. —--Lucretius

I miss bread! But I love Kinnikinnick gluten free pizza crust.

Diagnosed celiac disease: November 2011 (biopsy and endoscopy)
other conditions: asthma, arthritis

#15 Joe0123

Joe0123

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:20 PM

Thanks for the input, everyone. I guess I'll try a food challenge and see if anything happens. I hope not because I like their pasta :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: