24 replies to this topic

#1 nb-canada

nb-canada

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:03 PM

Someone just reminded me of something that used to happen to me before going gluten-free. It would be interesting to find out if other Celiacs have experienced this. My son who is also Celiac has also experienced it. I used to get episodes of what is called "Old Hag Syndrome". I am attaching a link that explains it. It is also called "Seep Paralysis". I just had the thought that maybe it was caused by Celiac because it has not happened to me since. It is a very scary situation where you wake up and cannot move a muscle - you hear and see and smell but cannot move. It feels like something or someone is holding you down and you try to yell out but can't. It only lasts a few seconds but it is very scary. Has anyone else experienced this syndrome?
Old Hag Syndrome
Happy to be Gluten-Free!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:12 PM

All though interesting, very interesting, I don't see a connection to Celiac Disease. :)
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:14 PM

Yes, I've been plagued with "sleep paralysis" for all of my life, but--come to think of it--it got much worse when my celiac worsened 15 years ago....and, by golly, I hadn't noticed that it hasn't happened since I've gone gluten free. Imagine that! I wonder if it's yet another neurological problem caused by celiac. You bring up an interesting point.

This odd state of sleep so interested me, I actually wrote a novel based on it...and a possible reason for it (no, not supernatural). I'll be putting the finishing touches on my novel later this month. It's a good thing I didn't think there was a connection to celiac--that would have been a very boring novel!

#4 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:30 PM

I had this happen to me a couple of mornings in a row, long before I became aware of celiac. It is a totally scary experience. I was alone in the house at the time, my mom was in hospital dying of cancer, and I have never talked to anyone about it. It has never happened again. I put it down to a combination of meds I was taking, and stopped taking the recently added one... :unsure:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 Monael

Monael

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

I used to have that all the time. It got so bad at one point that I was afraid to go to sleep and would stay up all night. I attributed it going away to my research on the subject and trying to turn it into lucid dreams. I didn't fight it like I had been doing. It is an interesting phenomenon.

#6 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:50 AM

I had that a lot as a child and young adult. Not recently that I know of. Gluten is not an issue for me.

#7 saltgirl

saltgirl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:59 PM

Have any of you who have experienced more than one episode of sleep paralysis ever had a polysomnogram and Multiple Sleep Latency Test (MSLT)? I have celiac and narcolepsy and often experience sleep paralysis, which can be a symptom of narcolepsy.

#8 heatherjane

heatherjane

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:18 AM

Interesting. I used to get Old Hag, also, usually when taking afternoon naps, but not so much anymore. Not sure if it was gluten-related, though.

#9 gliadin_raider

gliadin_raider

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:32 AM

I have this sometimes, combined with poor sleep for pretty much my whole life. I had this last night in fact, and it lasted for about 10-30 seconds.
I am sensitive to both gluten and milk and have just started a diet, but haven't seen any change to this yet (sleep quality seems a bit better though -- I dream more the last week than I usually do in a month).
I have been speculating this could be related to gluten and/or casein sensitivity in some way as narcolepsy is associated with autoimmune reactions to the orexin system (critical component in the regulation of sleep, wakefulness and REM). Haven't seen any research investigating this though.

#10 CrystalF

CrystalF

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:16 PM

yes! this has happened to me many times, it took a lot of explaining to my husband (who thought i was possessed). it is very scary but after knowing what it is it's not so bad, you can almost 'train' yourself not to freak out.

#11 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:03 PM

i searched and found this thread- because i had this paralysis THIS MORNING!!!!! i believe it could be gluten related-> as SOME Celiacs get Narcolepsy & Apnea-> so i ASSUME that Sleep Paralysis and other sleep disorders could be caused by gluten.

im a little nervous tho- because i only had these episodes about 5 times maybe- on and off from Mid 90s to around 2005... all pre Celiac DX and pre-gluten free. so WHY this morning???? i know its *possible* that im getting too much through <20ppm gluten free junk food or cross contamination... BUT enough to bring on symptoms that i havent felt in YEARS????
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

#12 CrystalF

CrystalF

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:21 PM

this also happens to people without celiac disease, it is a not so common sleep disorder.

#13 Vicky_1989

Vicky_1989

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:48 AM

I never knew there was a name for this! I've experienced this several times in the past and I remember telling my step-dad what happened and he called me crazy. :lol: Thankfully, I haven't experienced anything like this since I went gluten-free a year ago.

Personally don't think there is a connection to Coeliac disease but it is interesting.
24 years old from England.

Pernicious Anaemia - July 2007
Coeliac Disease - March 2011
Gluten-free - March 2011

#14 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:26 AM

I had this happen as a child and totally forgot about until it happened once about a month ago. Sure hope it doesn't happen again, very disturbing.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#15 tylerevelyn

tylerevelyn

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:16 PM

I'm currently 21, and during the ages of 13-16, this syndrome plagued me. I just found out about my gluten sensitivity/ possible celiac about 1 month ago. I suspect Ice had it for several years, by looking back at all of my symptoms. I don't know how they'd be connected, but I know eating gluten can cause neurological symptoms. Sleep paralysis is easily the most terrifying think that's ever happened to me- I'm sorry for anyone that has to go through that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: