4 replies to this topic

#1 glutenfreejd

glutenfreejd

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:15 PM

I have been gluten free for about 6 months and my husband and I recently started TTC. I went and bought the Jamieson's prenatal vitamin which is clearly labelled "no gluten" and started taking it. Ick! I started having symptoms very similar to my celiac symptoms, but think it might just be a reaction to the iron in the pills. As a young teenager I was moderately anemic and had a similar reaction to just straight iron pills before I started having any celiac symptoms whatsoever. So I went off the vitamins for a while just to make sure that was what was causing it, and felt way better. Recently went to a drop-in Dr who chewed me out a little bit and said at least go on Folic Acid. So I've been taking them for a couple weeks now and found out yesterday I'm pregnant, YAY!! I don't have a family doc to talk to about it, has anyone else had this kind of reaction? Is there anything else I absoloutely need to be taking until I get hooked up with a doc? Thanks!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 AVR1962

AVR1962

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:20 PM

Congratulations! I had a real hard time with my prenatal vits with my first 2 pg. I think it was the morning sickness that was causing such issues. I would take my vit at night after dinner instead of mornings and it did help. Also, if you are having real are issues I found putting just a little bit on my stomach before I got out of bed helped me. I would set something small......at the time I wasn't gluten-free and so I would place a cracker or two by the bed ad eat them as soo as a I woke up ad then wait a few minutes before getting out of bed.
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#3 JillianLindsay

JillianLindsay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:53 AM

hi JD,

I am on Jamieson vitamins and not having any issues, just to maybe put your mind at ease about the gluten content :)

I've heard a lot of people had issues with the iron content. I was on a high dose of iron supplements for a full year, so perhaps my system is quite used to it, which is why I'm not having a problem?

Hopefully the folic acid is fine for you - and congratulations!! :D

I have been gluten free for about 6 months and my husband and I recently started TTC. I went and bought the Jamieson's prenatal vitamin which is clearly labelled "no gluten" and started taking it. Ick! I started having symptoms very similar to my celiac symptoms, but think it might just be a reaction to the iron in the pills. As a young teenager I was moderately anemic and had a similar reaction to just straight iron pills before I started having any celiac symptoms whatsoever. So I went off the vitamins for a while just to make sure that was what was causing it, and felt way better. Recently went to a drop-in Dr who chewed me out a little bit and said at least go on Folic Acid. So I've been taking them for a couple weeks now and found out yesterday I'm pregnant, YAY!! I don't have a family doc to talk to about it, has anyone else had this kind of reaction? Is there anything else I absoloutely need to be taking until I get hooked up with a doc? Thanks!!!

gluten-free since July 8, 2009!

#4 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:05 AM

When I first started taking my prenatals (2 months before becoming pregnant), they made me throw up a few times and feel dizzy. My dr just said that your body takes a few days to get used to it and NEVER take them on an empty stomach. Now I'm throwing up for all the right reasons :)

#5 smsm

smsm

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:45 AM

I had a very hard time with prenatals during my pregnancies and would throw them up immediately - my doctor had me take 2 children's flavored/chewable vitamins (though not specially formulated for pregnancy, his theory was that it was better than not taking one at all which is what was happening as I just could not take them. Mine had iron added to them). Hang in there!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: