Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ugh, Prenatal Vitamins!

5 posts in this topic

I have been gluten free for about 6 months and my husband and I recently started TTC. I went and bought the Jamieson's prenatal vitamin which is clearly labelled "no gluten" and started taking it. Ick! I started having symptoms very similar to my celiac symptoms, but think it might just be a reaction to the iron in the pills. As a young teenager I was moderately anemic and had a similar reaction to just straight iron pills before I started having any celiac symptoms whatsoever. So I went off the vitamins for a while just to make sure that was what was causing it, and felt way better. Recently went to a drop-in Dr who chewed me out a little bit and said at least go on Folic Acid. So I've been taking them for a couple weeks now and found out yesterday I'm pregnant, YAY!! I don't have a family doc to talk to about it, has anyone else had this kind of reaction? Is there anything else I absoloutely need to be taking until I get hooked up with a doc? Thanks!!!

Ads by Google:

Congratulations! I had a real hard time with my prenatal vits with my first 2 pg. I think it was the morning sickness that was causing such issues. I would take my vit at night after dinner instead of mornings and it did help. Also, if you are having real are issues I found putting just a little bit on my stomach before I got out of bed helped me. I would set something small......at the time I wasn't gluten-free and so I would place a cracker or two by the bed ad eat them as soo as a I woke up ad then wait a few minutes before getting out of bed.

hi JD,

I am on Jamieson vitamins and not having any issues, just to maybe put your mind at ease about the gluten content :)

I've heard a lot of people had issues with the iron content. I was on a high dose of iron supplements for a full year, so perhaps my system is quite used to it, which is why I'm not having a problem?

Hopefully the folic acid is fine for you - and congratulations!! :D

I have been gluten free for about 6 months and my husband and I recently started TTC. I went and bought the Jamieson's prenatal vitamin which is clearly labelled "no gluten" and started taking it. Ick! I started having symptoms very similar to my celiac symptoms, but think it might just be a reaction to the iron in the pills. As a young teenager I was moderately anemic and had a similar reaction to just straight iron pills before I started having any celiac symptoms whatsoever. So I went off the vitamins for a while just to make sure that was what was causing it, and felt way better. Recently went to a drop-in Dr who chewed me out a little bit and said at least go on Folic Acid. So I've been taking them for a couple weeks now and found out yesterday I'm pregnant, YAY!! I don't have a family doc to talk to about it, has anyone else had this kind of reaction? Is there anything else I absoloutely need to be taking until I get hooked up with a doc? Thanks!!!

When I first started taking my prenatals (2 months before becoming pregnant), they made me throw up a few times and feel dizzy. My dr just said that your body takes a few days to get used to it and NEVER take them on an empty stomach. Now I'm throwing up for all the right reasons :)

I had a very hard time with prenatals during my pregnancies and would throw them up immediately - my doctor had me take 2 children's flavored/chewable vitamins (though not specially formulated for pregnancy, his theory was that it was better than not taking one at all which is what was happening as I just could not take them. Mine had iron added to them). Hang in there!