12 replies to this topic

#1 BarryC

BarryC

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:26 AM

I am wondering how many of you have had a problem with margerine, and switched to butter, or cut both out altogether?
I spent a week at my father in laws' and he uses butter only. My normal constant overall soreness lessened, as did my indigestion after a meal. I googled it and margerine contains omega 6 acids that cause inflammation in sensitive individuals-I guess if you are already gluten intolerant that would count. Anyway, I am staying with butter-as little as possible.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 BarryC

BarryC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:34 AM

I have noticed this on two occasions now, that when I spend time with my inlaws-who use real butter not margerine-my overall soreness as well as indigestion after a meal improves. On googling this I discovered that margerine, or at least sunflower oil, contains omega 6 acids that are inflammatory in sensitive individuals. I would think being celiac or gluten sensitive would count. It also contains other man made compounds that are inflammatory. Plus I think it might just stick to your insides more-try washing margerine off your hands after cooking compared to butter. Has anyone else noticed this with butter, or other man made oils or dressings?

#3 ciamarie

ciamarie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:36 AM

I was using margarine for a few weeks last year when I was having some issues with dairy, before I realized I needed to be on a gluten-free diet. I still haven't really tested much dairy, but that's another topic. However, the margarine was soy-based, I tried a few different brands and primarily stuck with Smart Balance. I started getting bad foot cramps, and D (when I generally tend towards C), after a month or so. There might have been 1 or 2 other issues, but those are the ones I recall right now. I started researching soy, and now I mostly avoid it and I've gone back to using butter.
Gluten-free since the end of October 2011

#4 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:56 AM

I am wondering how many of you have had a problem with margerine, and switched to butter, or cut both out altogether?
I spent a week at my father in laws' and he uses butter only. My normal constant overall soreness lessened, as did my indigestion after a meal. I googled it and margerine contains omega 6 acids that cause inflammation in sensitive individuals-I guess if you are already gluten intolerant that would count. Anyway, I am staying with butter-as little as possible.

Margarine is yucky anyway! I have not had margarine in the house for years for a couple of reasons. One, I dislike the flavour. Two, my mother has macular degeneration and margarine can contribute to it. As that disease is genetic I am being pretty darned careful. To be honest I do not know enough about it as far as its effects on those with celiac. Interesting point.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#5 everything-free

everything-free

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:32 AM

I use Vegan Becel, it says gluten and lactose free on the label! It is a different consistency for baking but I still find that it works well.

#6 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:47 AM

It's hard to find a non-butter spread without soy. Soy-free Earth Balance is one of the few. To the OP - do you have a problem with soy? Might be worth checking into.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:58 AM

As far as I'm concerned, margarine is not food. Instead of hydrogenation now they're using a process called trans-esterification, which produces a whole new class of unnatural fats. These fats are assumed to be safe, much like trans-fats were thirty years ago. If you eat margarine you are unwittingly participating in yet another giant food safety experiment.

I'm on failsafe elimination at the moment, and I'm supposed to use low-salicylate sunflower oil rather than coconut oil or olive oil. (I have to limit butter.) My doctor noticed I had swollen glands at my neck for no reason in a recent checkup. I'm betting it's adding too much omega-6 into my diet.

#8 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:28 PM

As far as I'm concerned, margarine is not food. Instead of hydrogenation now they're using a process called trans-esterification, which produces a whole new class of unnatural fats. These fats are assumed to be safe, much like trans-fats were thirty years ago. If you eat margarine you are unwittingly participating in yet another giant food safety experiment.

I'm on failsafe elimination at the moment, and I'm supposed to use low-salicylate sunflower oil rather than coconut oil or olive oil. (I have to limit butter.) My doctor noticed I had swollen glands at my neck for no reason in a recent checkup. I'm betting it's adding too much omega-6 into my diet.

Amen. Margarine is about as horrid as you can get. I have not had margarine in my house for years for two reasons - it tastes like plastic and to prevent macular degeneration. My mom has it and it is a dreadful disease. Margarine is thought to contribute to it.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#9 ciamarie

ciamarie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:56 PM

I thought I posted a response to this thread, but it's not here? Or is the same thread on different topic areas? Hmmmm...:huh:
Gluten-free since the end of October 2011

#10 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:44 PM

I thought I posted a response to this thread, but it's not here? Or is the same thread on different topic areas? Hmmmm...:huh:

Two topics on the same subject existed--I have merged them.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#11 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:21 PM

Margarine is yucky anyway! I have not had margarine in the house for years for a couple of reasons. One, I dislike the flavour. Two, my mother has macular degeneration and margarine can contribute to it. As that disease is genetic I am being pretty darned careful. To be honest I do not know enough about it as far as its effects on those with celiac. Interesting point.

Do you have a site for the macular degeneration? My mom has it and only eats margarine. But then... My dad doesn't have it and only eats margarine too.

I have to eat it because I have to avoid dairy.

#12 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:02 AM

You don't have to eat margarine. Have nut butter on your toast, olive oil on veggies, and use coconut oil for baking. :) If you are not highly sensitive to dairy, you may also be able to eat ghee.

#13 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:00 AM

Do you have a site for the macular degeneration? My mom has it and only eats margarine. But then... My dad doesn't have it and only eats margarine too.

I have to eat it because I have to avoid dairy.

It doesn't really cause it but eating it can contribute to it. The surgeon who did mom's awful eye injections told her so am unsure of where his information came from but it is also in this article. For some reason I am not allowed to copy and paste the quote but scroll down to The Bad - it is under there. There would be millions of people who only consume margarine who have not had macular degeneration but as it can be hereditary I am taking all the precautions I can. Even before this I did not eat margarine because I strongly dislike it anyway...but still.

http://www.agingeye....information.php

"A high intake of margarine is also significantly related to an increased risk of macular degeneration."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: