Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Struggling To Lose Weight...

11 posts in this topic

I was diagnosed with Celiac disease on January 25, 2011. I had been losing a lot of weight, fast. Once going gluten-free, and my innards began to heal, I put it back on. And then some, like 15 pounds MORE than I started with BEFORE I lost weight being ill. I was stuck on the whole "I have Celiacs now, it's going to be impossible to lose the weight, etc. etc. etc..." and I lived with that for about 4 months. I was unhappy how I looked, hated looking into a mirror. Lost my confidence.

Then, I realised something. Celiac disease did not take away my body's ability to lose weight. I gave up. Even though I have Celiac disease this same formula holds: Calories in < calories burned. Less input, more output. I gave up eating gluten-free bread, it is more calories than the wheat crap I ate before. Ditto pastas. I eat a slice of bread maybe once a week now. I started online Weight Watchers. I walk, use my exercise bike, play with my dogs in the back yard. I clean my house more vigorously. And, I am losing weight now. Being Celiac didn't stop me from losing weight, THINKING that I couldn't lose weight because I had Celiac's kept me from losing it.

Just a thought. Hope it helps someone get over what I was going though, which is what I call the Celiac Weight Dilemma. Commercially prepared gluten-free foods are high in calories. If you eat them, you need to burn them.

I now eat tons of fresh fruit, veggies, veggie and chicken stir fries, some beef (lean), and can now evern eat dairy products.

Ads by Google:

Congrats on finding something that works for you! :)

Dee777, you have made my evening. I have been feeling SO DOWN. This is JUST the encouragement that I needed. I am going through the *same thing* *right now*. I have put on about 15 lbs, and can't seem to take it off. I recently switched back to ( I used to be vegetarian a looooong time ago ) juicing on a daily bases and am struggling to get exercise in regularly. I have been avoiding all processed gluten-free foods.......except Udis White Bread. Its killer, I love it with tomatoes or avocados or cinnamon sugar. Its the one thing I've been having a hard time letting go of. ( don't worry! I will! )

While I'm noticing a great difference in how I feel,( and how my painful Gluten attacks are shortening,!) I do feel extremely disheartened by the weight gain.

I will try harder to persevere thanks to you. ;)

Thank you so much.

are you doing weight watchers on line or going to a meeting? I want to try weight watchers, but wasn't sure if it was adaptable to the gluten free diet, i made a post on here about it but no one replied :( If you have good weight watchers experience, i would love to know!

Kaki,

I can't speak specifically from experience of WW and Celiac, but I have done WW before I had (or knew) celiac and was thinking of returning. There are no specific foods either required or forbidden by WW's terrific point system. You will find it very flexible and I'd encourage you to try it.

Best of luck. Also, I'm thinking my hypothyroidism is keeping about 20 pounds on that I'd like to lose. Hopfully when we reach a good med level I will start to lose it.

The only danger with WW (like with any other diet) is that you become obsessed with food. If you actually follow the point recommendation, you will be eating way less than your body needs (thus the losing weight part), but that's all that you'll end up thinking about. I don't remember the exact number, but 97% (or more) end up regaining all that they've lost, and then some, when they stop doing Weight Watchers. I lost 15 pounds, but then gained 35, and turned into a binger for the first time in my whole life. It's taking a LONG time to get over that. So be cautious.

The only danger with WW (like with any other diet) is that you become obsessed with food. If you actually follow the point recommendation, you will be eating way less than your body needs (thus the losing weight part), but that's all that you'll end up thinking about. I don't remember the exact number, but 97% (or more) end up regaining all that they've lost, and then some, when they stop doing Weight Watchers. I lost 15 pounds, but then gained 35, and turned into a binger for the first time in my whole life. It's taking a LONG time to get over that. So be cautious.

Sunny I am so glad you brought up the part about obsessing over foods. I gained 35 lbs while on chemo the last 18 months (who does that, gain weight on chemo, uggghh). I was in a very rigid food program and all I did was think about food/binging. Now I am just working on eating better and avoiding the junk foods. I agree that the "gluten friendly" foods are frequently high in fats and sugars. Thanks again.

Fran

This post is so helpful. I was just diagnosed yesterday. This gives me hope and some ideas of what to do and what not to do. These forums are so helpful. I seriously don't know what I would do without them. :)

I never could lose on WW. I loved Atkins before they diagnosed my celiac disease as gallbladder and removed it. Now I am just doing a basic ketogenic diet. Cannot consume that much fat.

I too am also having the weight gain issue. I get so excited when I find my favorite foods in the gluten free version that I keep eating pasta, brownies, etc. I am also hypoglycemic and Hypothyroid as well so those 2 along with Celiac isn't helping the weight issue. I wonder have any of you guys checked into Body by Vi ??? I ordered the shake mix because it does say Gluten free but I am unsure about the add in flavors and supplements. All of my research Just shows info on the shake mix. Im going to start the shakes Monday so if any of you Seasoned Celiacs know anything about this program id love some input. I have the DH, the raw/white tongue, stomach reactions, depression etc so I am thinking these shakes may give me a little help in letting my intestines heal :)

Thank you for sharing this! I got a lot of encouragement from your story!