This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bob Evan's Restaurant

mamaw

mamaw Community Regular

I don't like Bob Evans period. When I asked about their breakfast menu so I could figure out what I could eat the waitress became so rude and she actually laughed at me. When I ordered an egg, bacon , and cubed potatoes she said I had to take the toast with it. I said no don't waste it as I again cannot eat it. Again she said I must and it was with the special I ordered. I tried several more times to tell her I didn't care if she charged me for it - I can't eat it so why waste it....She again got a tad nasty when I said Do NOt put that on my plate as I will not be able to eat the eggs,bacon and potatoes, well She said I was being a bit mellow dramadic. At this point I ask to speak to the manager as I was ready to punch her. The manager comes over and asked what the fuss was all about and I told him that I'm wheat & gluten free and just did not want toast on my plate and I knew it came with the meal but I did not want to waste it. Well he was as stupid as she was and tried again to explain that it was part of the price. I then said I didn't mind that it was part of the price and if it bothered them to give me a larger portion of potatoes or an extra slice of bacon . He said well if I do tha tI will have to charge you more as we have no alternative choices to replace food items. Then he asked if I would die if they put toast on my plate. I will not tell anyone what I said to the jerk as it wasn't one of my shining moments but I will say I was Pissed. We all just got up and walked out of that place and thats about a year ago and never will I set foot in a Bob Evans again. We were so mad we forgot to pay for our coffee.

Hate that place....

mamaw

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Claire Collaborator

Couldn't pay me to eat there - wheat or no wheat. Claire

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

Went to a Bob Evans -- when I was in the restroom, the waitress who was doing the cooking did not wash her hands after using the bathroom. Have never been to a Bob Evans again. Almost threw up at the one that I was at that day.

casnco Enthusiast

Sorry to hear so many people have had a bad experience at Bob's. The Bob's in our town is obviously run by more intellegent people. I have never had a problem there. I even called the company and they sent me a list of ingredients for a large number of their menue items they thought would be appropriate for me to eat at any Bob's resturant I would vist across the country. Maybe it is just your local resturants that are a problem.

rmmadden Contributor

Watch out those of you are sensitive because the sausage at Bob Evans contains MSG! I don't know about the bacon but, I avoid the place anymore because of it.

Cleveland Bob B)

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Is MSG a derivative of wheat, or does it contain gluten? Holy cow, I didn't know it was on the Do Not Eat list. For bacon, I try to get the preservative-free one (sorry, I can't remember the brand).

Mamaw, which Bob Evans did you go to? McKnight Road? I'll try to go to the same one sometime, and order gluten-free! Maybe if enough of us go there, they'll get the idea...

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

MSG is gluten free -- it just causes problems in some people.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

fiddle-faddle

No it wasn't the McKnight Rd one but before I was gluten-free I ate at that one and got a hair in my food and all they did was say I'm sorry, so actually this was my second and last visit to any BOB EVANS! The one I was at was in upper new york while I was on a mini get away..

Anyway I will not eat at any of them now. I also don't do Cracker Barrels... I like to look at all the junk they have in their stores but never liked the food.

mamaw

• 2 years later...
larry mac Enthusiast
fiddle-faddle

......I ate at that one and got a hair in my food and all they did was say I'm sorry.....

mamaw

Did you order hair-free? If not then you need to do your research better. You should have told your waitress you are allergic to hair. You should have asked for the hair-free menu! :rolleyes:

lm

• 3 years later...
tdkeesh Newbie

Just a couple of comments regarding the gluten-free thing.

First, gluten intolerance and wheat allergies are two very different things. Know the difference before you go bashing a restaurant for not listing wheat as an allergen, when your condition is intolerance not allergy. Wheat is not a common allergen.

Second, in response to the poster who complained that the waitress who cooked her food didn't wash her hands when she left the restroom...I've been a waitress for a very long time (35 years) and I've never met a waitress who cooks anyone's food. Be careful who you bash. Where I'm from, waitresses are paid 60% of the legal minimum wage and depend on tips to make up the difference. If you had a problerm with a waitress, say so. But be sure you aren't confusing waitresses and kitchen help. Kitchen help make full minimum wage. We don't. So saying your waitress didn't wash her hands before making your food not only accuses her of something she did not do, but it directly impacts her ability to make a living. Oh, and did you say anything to the restaurant manager? They are the ones who can fix the problem if one exists. Bashing nameless people on a website serves no real purpose, in my opinion.

Lastly, a couple of years ago I worked at at restaurant owned by a couple who's kids both suffer from Celiac Disease. They made superhuman efforts to be sure that everything on their menu is available "Gluten Free." Today while working at a restaurant that makes no claims to be "Gluten Free," I waited on a woman who needed a Gluten Free dinner. When I tried to clear the table she stopped me from taking her husband's plate because she was eating his fries. We cook breaded food in the same fry-o-lator. I warned her of the cross-contamination possibilities, but she told me the fries didn't seem to be an issue. Learn all you can about your gluten intolerance. Take control of your health. Just because a restaurant agrees to not cook your dinner with flour on it does not mean it's gluten free. You should know everything there is to know about your health and anything that might impact it. As much as I'd like to keep you healthy as a restaurant employee, your health is not my responsibility. I'll do my best. But at the end of the day it's your responsibility. Don't blame me or the restaurant I work for if you get sick because you are not really, really aware of what's going on with your illness.

Scott Adams Grand Master

Wheat is one of the top 8 allergens that all food manufacturers must disclose on their labels according to FDA regulations that have been in place for years now.

Lisa Mentor

This thread, until today is over six years old. Information may not be relevant today. :rolleyes:

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Just a couple of comments regarding the gluten-free thing.

First, gluten intolerance and wheat allergies are two very different things. Know the difference before you go bashing a restaurant for not listing wheat as an allergen, when your condition is intolerance not allergy. Wheat is not a common allergen.

Actually, wheat IS a common allergen, and if it is an ingredient, it is now required to be clearly listed on labels of food products made in the US and in Europe.

TeknoLen Rookie

Sort of off topic, but I grew up in Ohio with 2 Bob Evans restaurants within a 2 mile radius of my mom and dads house. I used to love the biscuits and sausage gravy. How much gluten would you imagine is in that meal? It seemed so normal then. LOL, I get a big chuckle when I think about this now, 20-some years and a life-altering diet change later...

Archived