This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Meatloaf

Juliebove

Juliebove Rising Star

I like to make meatloaf because I put a ton of veggies in it. And my husband and daughter don't otherwise eat a lot of veggies. I do have to be careful because I tend to put too many veggies in it. The end result is delicious but not meaty.

Anyway... I can't put milk or egg in there because I am allergic. I've been using either tomato juice, V8 or whatever similar thing I have in the house. I was putting ground flax mixed with water for the egg and oatmeal for the filler. Oh snap! I had thought I could eat the ones in the freezer. But my intolerance test showed that I can't have oats any more. And my daughter can't have flax. I will have to round it all up and feed it to my husband when he comes home. I also put in baby food squash because I read that makes a good egg substitute. Has anyone tried this on its own? I haven't had much luck with the Ener-G egg replacer.

So now I will need something to put in for the filler. What can I use in place of the oats? I guess maybe I could use crushed up crackers or something like that. Or bread crumbs.

And what can I season it with? I used to put in Italian seasoning but... Daughter can not have basil, I can not have thyme and neither of us can have marjoram. Do you think just oregano would do? I do put in a lot of chopped onion and I top it with chili sauce.

Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cahill Collaborator

I use rice as a filler in mine.

I have also used grated cauliflower.

I tried Udi's bread crumbs and did not like the texture.They got a kinda funny texture once wet in the meat loaf.

I had trouble finding a binder when I could not have eggs.I still have not found a good one other than eggs. Hopefully some one else has some ideas.

I have not tried egg replace because I did not think it had the same binding property as an egg

Skylark Collaborator

For flavoring try savory, parsley, and black pepper. I do pot roast that way sometimes. You could also make a sausage-like flavor with sage, rosemary, and pepper. I don't know about filler because I never think to make meatloaf.

eeyorelvr Newbie

I use a recipe from a Paleo cookbook that does not have any egg, it does have onion, green and red pepper, and some spices a little tomato paste no filler, but I have used instant potatoes as filler in this recipe as well as meatball recipes.

love2travel Mentor

I make meatloaf regularly and use dried bread crumbs which have been soaked in milk. The crumbs and milk are both added. I also grate carrot and onion and add minced red and poblano pepper that have been sauteed. Use the onion and carrot juice for the liquid.

Thyme is, unfortunately, the ultimate for seasoning meatloaf but you can certainly leave it out. I also add garlic and freshly-grated nutmeg. You cannot tell it is nutmeg but it tastes lovely and exotic. NOT pre-ground stuff. That is not even close to the same thing. Use a lot of salt and pepper. You do not need your meatloaf to taste like anything else.

I also form my meatloaf into a freeform rectangle onto a sheet pan or broiler rack to collect the fat. That way all the sides except for the bottom can be basted with a sauce. I make mine out of ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire, a touch of mustard, S and P and baste for the last 20 minutes or so. Gorgeous. You can also baste with a lovely wine reduction, balsamic glaze - even grape or other jelly.

Juliebove Rising Star

I use rice as a filler in mine.

I have also used grated cauliflower.

I tried Udi's bread crumbs and did not like the texture.They got a kinda funny texture once wet in the meat loaf.

I had trouble finding a binder when I could not have eggs.I still have not found a good one other than eggs. Hopefully some one else has some ideas.

I have not tried egg replace because I did not think it had the same binding property as an egg

I think the egg replacer is worthless. I just got weevils in my flour cupboard. Eek! I tossed everything out an I didn't replace the egg replacer. I don't intend to either.

Juliebove Rising Star

For flavoring try savory, parsley, and black pepper. I do pot roast that way sometimes. You could also make a sausage-like flavor with sage, rosemary, and pepper. I don't know about filler because I never think to make meatloaf.

Is savory a spice? Herb? Or did you mean just the word "savory". I feel dumb now. If it is an herb or spice I don't have it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliebove Rising Star

I make meatloaf regularly and use dried bread crumbs which have been soaked in milk. The crumbs and milk are both added. I also grate carrot and onion and add minced red and poblano pepper that have been sauteed. Use the onion and carrot juice for the liquid.

Thyme is, unfortunately, the ultimate for seasoning meatloaf but you can certainly leave it out. I also add garlic and freshly-grated nutmeg. You cannot tell it is nutmeg but it tastes lovely and exotic. NOT pre-ground stuff. That is not even close to the same thing. Use a lot of salt and pepper. You do not need your meatloaf to taste like anything else.

I also form my meatloaf into a freeform rectangle onto a sheet pan or broiler rack to collect the fat. That way all the sides except for the bottom can be basted with a sauce. I make mine out of ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire, a touch of mustard, S and P and baste for the last 20 minutes or so. Gorgeous. You can also baste with a lovely wine reduction, balsamic glaze - even grape or other jelly.

I can't have milk. Do you think tomato juice would work? As for the nutmeg that is one taste I simply can not stand. I used to do a lot of baking prior to gluten-free and I found if I put nutmeg in something I couldn't eat it.

I make individual loaves and there is very little fat from them because I use lean organic beef. I also cook down my veggies so they give off less liquid.

Skylark Collaborator

Is savory a spice? Herb? Or did you mean just the word "savory". I feel dumb now. If it is an herb or spice I don't have it.

It's an herb. I learned about it in a French cookbook and decided I liked the flavor. My local Safeway carries it.

Open Original Shared Link

Juliebove Rising Star

It's an herb. I learned about it in a French cookbook and decided I liked the flavor. My local Safeway carries it.

Open Original Shared Link

Thanks! I will get some today. I have to replace some other seasonings anyway because I went all crazy with the weevil spray! I was just trying to get the sprayer piece on and I accidentally got it all over my hands, the floor and a few containers of seasonings.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

I don't put egg/milk in my meatloaf. I use lean ground beef, minced onion, garlic powder, paprika, salt, pepper, and for filler I use ground up gluten-free Rice Krispies or smashed Rice Chex. Sometimes I mix a roll of Bob Evan's Naturals sausage in too. I mix it and shape it on a jelly roll sheet pan to collect any grease that cooks out, and top with a thick coating of Ketchup before baking.

jerseyangel Proficient

A few other tasty fillers I've used are Potato Buds, a couple slices of gluten-free bread torn up, or crushed Glutino crackers. Any of these can be soaked in tomato juice or any liquid you can use.

Juliebove Rising Star

A few other tasty fillers I've used are Potato Buds, a couple slices of gluten-free bread torn up, or crushed Glutino crackers. Any of these can be soaked in tomato juice or any liquid you can use.

Ohhhhhhhh! Potatoes would be sooo good in there! I don't have the buds but I do have flakes. Must get a few more veggie ingredients and then make some in the next few weeks. My chili sauce and baby food squash are about to go bad.

Thanks!

Archived