Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Very Ill

17 posts in this topic

I have been really sick since eating a bag of wheat free cookies about two weeks ago. I forgot that wheat free does not mena gluten free. :( Any idea on how long this will last?

Ads by Google:

I have been really sick since eating a bag of wheat free cookies about two weeks ago. I forgot that wheat free does not mean gluten free. :( Any idea on how long this will last?

ooo! ouch,! Im sorry to hear that. I think that the respsonse to it is different for everyone.

Sorry

hope you feel better soon

Hi!

Just curious as to what kind of cookies you ate. I too had a reaction last week that I think was do to some Midel cookies I ate.

Cheryl

OMG I bought some midel, they look like oreos in a blue package, I haven't eaten them yet-- I guess I won't chance it..

I'm very skeptical that you would still have symptoms two weeks later! I suspect there is something else wrong. Please contact your doctor and let him/her know what is happening. Perhaps you have become lactose intolerant - it is not uncommon.

from my experience the Midel cookies are fine if you get the gluten-free. It looks like Granger got a bag of Wheat free which isn't the same thing.

The cookies I bought were in the blue package and they were gluten free. I think that they might be high in fiber and that is why I had a reaction to them. I read the label and they have alot of different kinds of flour in them and I usually try to stick to rice flour, potato starch flour and tapioca flour. I think that Iam going to have to do some more baking and not rely on the prepacked foods.

Cheryl

I also had a reaction to Midel cookies. A single gluten ingestion can take up to 3 weeks to heal, so don't give up. You'll be feeling better soon. For me it takes 3-4 weeks to feel better.

Lily

Granger279, I am also dealing with the after effects of gluten. I got sick after eating some chicken and rice noodles at my in-laws birthday party. :( I think they must have put soy sauce in something. I should have known better. Next party I am bringing a full meal for me and my kids to eat. My children are also suffering. For me the stomach issues lasted about 5 days, but the headaches, fatigue, brain-fog , tearfull-ness, bad mood and general ill feelings are not showing any signs of letting up. It has only been a week, so I am giving it more time. Just try to take it easy and let yourself rest anytime you need it (and it is physically possible!). I have been trying not to push myself too hard (or my kids either!) , just trying to remind myself everyday that I need to heal.

I hope you feel better soon.

God bless,

Mariann

So there seems to be a common thread, that some of had problems with the Midel cookies... what kind are you having problems with? Are they cross contaminated or something? I have some but don't eat them much.

Now Im wondering what's up?

Hi!

The problem I had with the Midel cookies was severe diarhea and nausea, at first I thought I had the flu but felt better soon after so I knew it wasn't the flu.

Everyone is so different when it comes to reactions so you have to experiement a little. I also had a reaction to some corn meal muffins I made last night from a package mix from the gluten free pantry. I beginning to feel like nothing is safe to eat anymore.

Cheryl

Cheryl,

Could you possibly be intolerant to corn? I noticed the common thing in the two items you mentioned here is corn. Cornmeal muffins and the cookies that have corn flour, corn starch and corn syrup in them. It might be something to think about.

I can usually tell the difference in my reaction to milk and my reaction to gluten by the length of time it lasts. The milk reaction for me is more stomach pain, but it is gone in a day or two. A gluten reaction is a lot less stomach pain (and different feeling) and it lasts longer and I get a lot of other things like headaches and I'm extremely tired, moodiness, brain fog, etc. and also if it was a lot of gluten I get a rash on my hands. I hate to think that every time I feel bad that is was gluten, then I would never be able to eat anything, but I do know that people who are gluten intolerant are often intolerant to other foods as well. Dairy, soy, and corn are some of the most common. Eggs and yeast are also pretty common.

The gluten intolerance group I recently joined in a near by town has everyone label the foods they bring to their functions to say if they have dairy, soy or corn as those are the most common intolerances and allergies amoung all the members. I was so happy to find that out, since none of my family is eating dairy and I am allergic to soy! Finally a place to go eat where I will know exactly what is safe!!

Well anyhow, I would check into the corn thing.

God bless,

Mariann

HI!

Thanks for the suggestion about corn, I'm going to start keeping a food diary and see if I can pin something down.

Cheryl

I guess I didn't explain it right. I was still sick two weeks after eating the bag of cookies. It has actually lasted 4 but the pain and other symptoms are finally slowing down.

They were not the brand you are talking about, all I remember is they were in a kind of tan package with green on it and they were fig cookies. I just didn't look, when I saw wheat free I thought I was safe. Guess I won't make that mistake again! :rolleyes:

Granger 279, For some people, especially with a lot of gluten consumed in the "accident", the reaction can last that long. I had an accident two weeks ago, and still have occasional pain and headaches. My son is also having daily stomach and headaches since the accident and I know that we are 100% gluten-free right now. I read recently (but can't remember where) that it can take up to 4 weeks for some proteins to leave your system. So this may be why some reactions last longer for some people.

I'm glad you are feeling better. :)

God bless,

Mariann

I notice that a lot of products that say wheat-free are made from barley flour, which is a no-no.

Hope you have a speedy recovery!

Christine