23 replies to this topic

#1 divinemissliss

divinemissliss

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:41 AM

Hi all, just thought I would share what I learned today - I called the Starbucks Customer Help line to see about a caramel macchiato, and the rep told me that the only thing that can be guaranteed as gluten free is the wrapped Tazo tea bags. The macchiato, unfortunately, is not gluten-free. The caramel sauce they use as a topping has gluten in it. They wouldn't even classify their regular drip coffees as gluten free because of cross-contamination.

It's a real bummer, because a) it is an unseasonably warm day here in Chicago and a cold, delightful drink would have been welcome, and B) I was going off of old information, so I got about halfway into it before calling the number. Sad face.
Alissa
Diagnosed with IBS: 2001
Diagnosed with Iron & B12 deficiencies: 2008
Diagnosed with Celiac: February 2012

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Gemini

Gemini

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:40 AM

Hi all, just thought I would share what I learned today - I called the Starbucks Customer Help line to see about a caramel macchiato, and the rep told me that the only thing that can be guaranteed as gluten free is the wrapped Tazo tea bags. The macchiato, unfortunately, is not gluten-free. The caramel sauce they use as a topping has gluten in it. They wouldn't even classify their regular drip coffees as gluten free because of cross-contamination.

It's a real bummer, because a) it is an unseasonably warm day here in Chicago and a cold, delightful drink would have been welcome, and B) I was going off of old information, so I got about halfway into it before calling the number. Sad face.

Alissa.....that is just a CYA statement from Starbuck's. There are plenty of cold drinks that you can safely have there and are gluten free. Ice coffee, the unflavored ice tea's, their shaken lemonade/ice tea (with black or plain green tea) are all gluten-free. That would be the one made at the counter, not the bottled lemonade/ice tea drink. If you tell the server your allergy information, then the likelihood of CC happening is pretty low to nil. I don't know what's in a macchiato but maybe leave the caramel off the top? Their syrups are gluten-free also....just loaded with sugar!

#3 divinemissliss

divinemissliss

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:36 PM

I figured they were just trying to cover themselves from any potential liability. But the bigger issue I have with them is how the information varies depending on what customer service rep. you talk to. Not long ago, I was told their caramel was safe. Now it's not? I think I may be safe with straight-up iced beverages, but man, will I miss their flavored stuff. Guess it's just one more thing to go on the "no" list.
Alissa
Diagnosed with IBS: 2001
Diagnosed with Iron & B12 deficiencies: 2008
Diagnosed with Celiac: February 2012

#4 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:56 PM

Some of the Tazo tea flavors are not gluten free.

#5 lucia

lucia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:38 PM

Here's a discussion about Tazo teas at Starbucks:

http://www.celiac.co...s-at-starbucks/

#6 moose07

moose07

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:28 PM

Ahhh, that is no good. I love the caramel macchiatos :( I drink them a lot without my normal gluten symptoms. Now this makes me wonder if some weird stuff that has been going on is because of my getting more hidden gluten. :/

#7 Jetamio

Jetamio

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:57 AM

I recently called Starbucks and the rep read me the ingredients on the caramel - lots of sugar, butter and milk but I didn't hear anything that indicated gluten. I may be way off - I'm still learning. I love the caramel macchiatos but alas, can't have them right now because of the dairy in the caramel.
Dairy free since 2010
Gluten free 2/2012 after off the charts positive blood test
Soy and MSG sensitive
Have opted not to biopsy right now.

#8 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:10 AM

Some of the Tazo tea flavors are not gluten free.

Yup, that is correct but it's no different than any other tea out there. The herbal flavored and some of the green flavored tea's are not but the black tea is OK. If you do your research, this information is readily available. I always ask for Starbucks ingredients listings and never had a problem getting that info from them. I go to Starbucks at least 2-3 times per week and never had a problem.

#9 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:16 AM

I go to Starbucks at least 2-3 times per week and never had a problem.

I do too--always have an Awake Tea Latte. There are a couple of teas there that contain gluten, but I've always had good luck calling them for any info.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#10 lynnelise

lynnelise

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:16 AM

I just had a caramel macchiato last night with no bad effects. I've read the ingredients before and didn't see a red flag. I wonder if it's just a cya thing.

#11 HGMama

HGMama

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:32 AM

Interesting bc I had an iced one yesterday and appeared to be about 5 months pregnant about 15 min after drinking it, and then had awful gas 👎

#12 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:49 AM

Here's a discussion about Tazo teas at Starbucks:

http://www.celiac.co...s-at-starbucks/

This information is to years old. Not reliable.

richard

#13 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:53 AM

From what I can see, Starbucks will not GUARANTEE that anything in the store is free of any allergen. Very paranoid.

I would just use common sense.

richard

#14 Googles

Googles

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:25 PM

I get their hot chocolate with whipped cream all the time. I have never had a problem with it in the last almost three years (since my diagnosis) (well, unless it is not hot enough for me because I forget to ask for it extra hot :P )

#15 GlutenFreeAustinite

GlutenFreeAustinite

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:34 PM

I have had Starbucks caramel frappes without any major issue...I did notice slight stomachache but that was also when I was lactose intolerant. No troubles since. I also drink their Caffe Mochas, which have never given me problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: